Ankle injury

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Ankle injury

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A week ago yesterday, while I was in California, I injured my left ankle pretty badly. I have apparently (will know for sure in a day or two when the MRI report comes back) severed my posterior tibial tendon, and X-rays show that I have possibly broken a chunk off of the forward end of either my talus or calcaneous bone. As long as I don't try to move my foot certain ways, it's actually not very painful, but it IS debilitating because it interferes with my range of motion. If I try to use the posterior tibialis muscle, both it and the anterior tibialis immediately cramp up into a big charley horse, because they aren't pulling against any resistance. So I can't flex my foot, or supinate it without pain. But as long as I don't try those two things, I'm OK. The problem is that lots of subconscious motions I don't normally have to think about.....like getting out of a chair....use those muscles, so I have to be very deliberate about how I do things.

Anyway, my podiatrist assures me that surgery is the likely outcome. She also says that, typically, after a posterior tibial tendon heals, it is never as strong as it used to be. She also says that if the bone (whichever one it is) is actually broken the way it looks on X-ray, that she'll just go ahead and fuse the arch of my foot. The upside is that she can take advantage of the opportunity to straiten and fuse my left big toe, which I badly broke in a karate tournament 45 years ago and has been as crooked as a politician ever since.

So right now, I'm wearing one of those big orthopedic boots to immobilize my ankle until ..... well, my doctor says for the next 6 to 8 weeks, I guess.

My prayer requests are these:

First: we take care of our grand monkeys full time Monday through Friday, while my son and DIL are at work. Since the injury, my wife has had to assume the lion's share of childcare tasks. I am unable to do much more than sit on the couch with my leg elevated, and read to them. I can't help her fix meals or any of that right now, but I am also trying not to add to her burden by her having to take care of me. Please pray for her good health, patience, strength, and peace of mind.

Second: please pray for a good outcome with this injury, and that I will heal rapidly and recover fully. In addition to the burden it places on my wife, walking is about the only exercise I can do which helps with controlling my weight......and right now, I can't walk more than a few paces. Please pray that my doctor's hands and mind will be guided by the Great Physician.

Third: I am uninsured, so the cost of all of this will come out of my pocket. So far, I've received the benefit of cash discounts for the doctor's office, and the MRI fees (which still cost me $1,100 last night, for two scans). The cost of my office visit, the X-rays, and the boot came to $418; so I'm into this for $1,500 so far. My doctor tells me her surgical fee will be around $1,500, but the big unknowns are the anesthesiology and hospital fees. I am guessing the total cost of surgery will be around $5000-$6000, but that's just a guess. God has made it possible for me to be able to pay this amount without assuming any debt, and I sure don't want to go into debt to pay more than that if I don't have to. I have good credit and untapped credit resources, but I don't want to have to use them. Please pray that the hospital and anesthesiologist will give me cash discounts also, to keep the total cost to where I don't have to go into debt to pay for it.

Thank you for your prayers.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Ankle injury

Post by Jusme »

Prayers sent TAM. I hope you have a quick recovery. Please let us know if we can help in any way.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

I am in the process of recovering from a Trimalleolar fracture suffered the day before Mother's day and surgery a week ago today. It's been quite a ride so I can empathize with you.

I have been very successful in negotiating the prices to where I am out just a fraction of what they bill, think 80% discount for the hospital surgery portion. If interested, pm me and I'll be happy to share with you some of my experience and what has worked for me.
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Sorry to hear about your injury. Prayers out for complete healing.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

Praying for you TAM.
Ron
NRA Member

Steamboat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Steamboat »

Prayers sent for you and your family.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Get well, My Friend.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

flechero

Post by flechero »

Heck of a week, TAM! I fear you are underestimating the surgical portion but I'll be praying for good outcomes in all 3 areas.

equin

Post by equin »

I've busted my ankle before. It was quite painful and being on crutches for a month wasn't much fun. Luckily, I was able to do pool therapy by swimming laps during the healing process abd found that to work wonders to reduce pain and swelling. Might want to ask your podiatrist if you can do the same if you think it'll help.

Anyway, prayers sent....
Ed

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I'll be praying for you sir.

Let me give you the short version of a story about my brother. At the age of 70, he was building a rock climbing trail for his RZR. He fell over backwards, downhill, with his toe caught under a rock and broke both of the bones in his leg just above the ankle. Tore some tendons as well. After surgery he was in a boot for several weeks, then more surgery, and more weeks in a boot, then finally a cast for several more weeks.

He bought a wheel chair and learned to get around very good in his house with that chair without needing to be waited on by his wife for normal daily stuff. It took him another year to get back to walking good but he did it.

Moral of the story? Think about getting a wheelchair, and don't give up.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

Prayers sent TAM.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

TAM
Get better of course but in a case like this where you know you will need surgery and are uninsured you have time to make financial plans. I would ask each provider to accept Medicare fees and this would include the hospital or preferably outpatient surgicenter (rate might be much less), the anesthesiologist, the radiologist and the lab director and of course your surgeon. I would also ask for the CPT codes of the expected procedures so that you can look up the Medicare fee schedules. Get everything in writing when it comes to expected charges. Finally, get digital copies now of the actual MRI's and x-ray in case you need to shop around, you will have your records. You are in a position now to bargain as there is no great rush to have the surgery. Medicare fee schedules are by state and locale FYI. Finally, and I don't know ankle anatomy that much, is this a podiatrist type of surgery or an orthopedic surgery? I thought that ankle was off limits to podiatrists. I hope this helps.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Prayers for you and your family TAM.
I know about being uninsured as I just went through my prostate cancer treatments and have no insurance.

On a lighter note, I hope you did this because you were kicking some comyfornia liberal on the backside.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am sorry to hear this TAM. We are praying for you and your dear wife. We just sent back two of our grandkids so I know how busy they can make you. Hang in there and if there is anything I can do just call me.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

You have my prayers, TAM.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”