Ankle injury

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ankle injury

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm glad the news is much better than it could have been. Get well soon!

Those knee walkers are kinda cool. I bought one for my granddaughter to use when she injured her ankle. She was still in high school at the time. Between kids just being rude and wet floors every time it rained, she fell almost every day with crutches. The walker made it much easier for her to get around.

After she stopped using it, I lent it to a co-worker for a weekend. She had promised to take her kids to Six Flags and then she hurt her ankle. When she returned it, she said it made Six Flags much easier to cope with. If nothing else, she always had a seat while waiting in line.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Glad to hear you won't have to go through surgery (at least for now) The knee scooter will make getting around much easier, my wife got one when she had foot surgery last year. Physical therapy, does work. I had to have it for my back, last year, and my shoulder 5 years ago. But you will have to be diligent, and do the exercises they prescribe while at home. Looking forward to seeing you "scooting" into our breakfast Saturday! Continued Prayers.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Praise the Lord for the good news. Continued prayers being sent for complete healing
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here's an update on my ankle.....mostly good news:

(1) No surgery for now. The posterior tibialis tendon is torn, but my doctor wants to treat it conservatively. If that doesn't work, we can consider surgery down the road. Praise Jesus.

(2) I am to not let my bare left foot touch the floor for the next 4-6 weeks. No more showers ( :grumble ), baths only, with my foot elevated. The boot only comes off for bedtime and bathing.

(3) She gave me an "Even Up" to wear on my right shoe, to make my stride length equal while wearing the boot, so that I can walk closer to normal, and I've e ordered a knee scooter which arrives in the next day or two so that I can get around parking lots and such.

(4) If after 4-6 weeks I show some signs of recovery, we will begin some aggressive physical therapy.

(5) If this treatment plan is not successful, then we can always revisit doing surgery. Thank you everyone for your prayers.

(6) I'm going to be custom fitted with an orthotic for my right foot, and an some kind of ankle brace for my left foot, which (as I understand it) acts as a combination orthotic and brace. I have no idea what this looks like. Anyway, regardless of outcome and/or surgery, these are more or less permanent I guess.

So it could be worse, but it will also be a major inconvenience for the next month or two.
Glad to hear that surgery won't be necessary. Will keep praying for complete healing without surgery being necessary. I'm also glad to hear you are allowed to at least take baths! :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

We will pray all of the non invasive actions will work and you will not have to go through surgery.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:Glad to hear you won't have to go through surgery (at least for now) The knee scooter will make getting around much easier, my wife got one when she had foot surgery last year. Physical therapy, does work. I had to have it for my back, last year, and my shoulder 5 years ago. But you will have to be diligent, and do the exercises they prescribe while at home. Looking forward to seeing you "scooting" into our breakfast Saturday! Continued Prayers.
Glad the scooter will identify me, so that I don't have to wear the big hat (which did not come with any cattle). :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dale blanker »

TAM, I'm glad to hear that you are likely on the mend without surgery and that you can still generate your excellent postings. It's obvious from your postings over the years that you are an honorable man but no matter how well one lives and believes, bad things can happen.

I recently suffered a 7' fall to the pavement over the lifeline of our sailboat while we were in the process of lowering the mast. Amazingly, I was able to get up after a few minutes and finish work on the sailboat to trailer it home. I had many cuts and bruises and a heck of a bump on my head but no broken bones. Still, it was 5-6 weeks before I could put on my socks in the morning without a lot of lower back and hip pain. I had quickly returned to the gym and did all my usual exercises but at reduced levels, with more emphasis on reps than weights. Between each exercise I did a lot of stretching, mainly of the lower back. Now, 3 months after the fall, I feel fully back to normal (for an 81 year old anyway). I've always eaten lots of raw veggies and I think that helped too.

Sorry to belabor you with my problem but the point is that you should stay as active as the doctor allows. And I think stretching is very important - at least it was in my case. Keep lots of broccoli and spinich and berries in your diet - oh, and a little red wine. You probably know all this already.

Get well!
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jusme wrote:Glad to hear you won't have to go through surgery (at least for now) The knee scooter will make getting around much easier, my wife got one when she had foot surgery last year. Physical therapy, does work. I had to have it for my back, last year, and my shoulder 5 years ago. But you will have to be diligent, and do the exercises they prescribe while at home. Looking forward to seeing you "scooting" into our breakfast Saturday! Continued Prayers.
Glad the scooter will identify me, so that I don't have to wear the big hat (which did not come with any cattle). :lol:
Which scooter scabbard are you using for your scout rifle? :)
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

J.R.@A&M wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Which scooter scabbard are you using for your scout rifle? :)
Hmmmm...... I confess you've got me thinking now..... :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Update (also posted on Facebook).......

I'm a little discouraged today. I just had another visit with my podiatrist about this torn tendon in my ankle/foot. I tore it on May 31st, but wasn't able to get treatment for it until 6/6, and I've been wearing this darned knee-high boot ever since - 5 weeks so far. I was REALLY hoping that I could get out of this boot today. Not to be. I have to wear it some more, and I'm really struggling with trying to be patient with the process.

Next steps:
1. They took impressions of my feet for orthotics today, and those will be ready in 3-4 weeks.
2. I start physical therapy next Monday.
3. The Monday after that (2 weeks from today), I have ANOTHER followup visit with my podiatrist. At that time, I'll also be fitted for something called a "Richie Brace". That will take however long to be made, and then they show me how to put it on and wear it when it comes in. The good news is that, when I get the Richie Brace, I can stop wearing the boot. In the meantime, PT will continue for however long is necessary.
4. AT THE END OF ALL THIS....... there is still a high probability of requiring surgery - and that's another thing. I THOUGHT we were talking all along about a tendon repair surgery. Nope. We are talking about using a bunch of hardware to fuse the bones of my foot to restore the arch, and then pinning the tendon to the bone.

I never thought that such a simple injury on the face of it would be so daggum complicated.

Cuss words, evil thoughts, much grumbling. :grumble :grumble

And I'm trying not to let this rob me of my joy in the Lord ..... but it sure as heck seems to be robbing me of my summer.

#TINVOWOOT

patterson

Post by patterson »

Sorry to hear about your injury and wish you a speedy recovery

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent for you . Hope your getting better. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am so sorry to hear that news. We will keep praying for healing. We will pray for grace for you to be able to make it through.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Continued prayers, I know how frustrating waiting for an injury to heal can be. Don't push it, PT will help a lot. Keep us updated.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Continued prayers TAM. Just remember, God has a reason for everything. It's not ours to decide what those reasons are.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”