What Would You Like to See Discussed in This Forum?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

For discussion here in the Texas CHL Forum, what competitive shooting discipline is of most interest to you?

Air Rifle/Pistol
No votes
Cowboy Action Shooting
No votes
IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association)
86%
ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation)
No votes
Multi-Gun Events (e.g., USPSA Three-Gun)
No votes
Olympic Shooting Sports
No votes
Paintball
No votes
Shotgun (Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clay)
No votes
USPSA/IPSC (U.S. Practical Shooting Association)
14%

Total votes: 22

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

What Would You Like to See Discussed in This Forum?

Post by Skiprr »

Since Charles opened this new Forum area for us, I'm wondering what types of competitive shooting events are of interest to Texas CHLers...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

I picked IPSC because that's what I've been shooting and available here. I also like steel challenge a lot.

However, I'm planning to try IDPA (tomorrow).

Also, I'm currently exploring non action pistol competitions, so any discussions on NRA conventional pistol/2700 and pistol silhouette would be useful and interesting for me.

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barres »

I want to choose "All of the Above", but that's not an option.

In all seriousness, IPSC is all I have competed in, but I am interested in IDPA and Three-gun competitions and may get involved eventually
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Being an IDPA addict makes this choice easy for me. I think it will likely be the most popular here because it closely relates to our chosen lifestyle.

I do want to read about all kinds of competitive shooting. I might never choose to invest in specialized equipment for other sports, but I would love to hear what others have to say about them. If it involves friends, shooting, and a safe environment......I am ready to read about it!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

Jbirds1210,

With your IDPA gear, you can participate in IPSC limited (although you'll be at a disadvantage). If you have have 4 or 5 mags, you can go for the IPSC Production class (which you won't be at a disadvantage). I'll be shooting my first IDPA tomorrow so I'll be in a better position to say how much these 2 differ.

Also, I'm planning to compete w/ my Glock in the GSSF. Here, all you need is a Glock and a magazine.

You can also do steel challenge w/ your IDPA gear. Really, you just need a holster, gun and 2 mags (some kind person will help you reload while you shoot). 5 mags (optional) would be perfect. Now, this is a lot different than IPSC, but fun, fun, fun.

Topic author
Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Shucks; I own a Glock and didn't think about including GSSF in the poll...I thought to include airguns, but not Glocks. :oops:

And IPSC seems to be really extending its perview. I understand they now hold sniper-distance long rifle competitions.

Is steel challenge covered under an organizational body?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

IPSC because that is the one held on Sat. here. IDPA shoots on Sunday. I use my carry weapon & dont worry about the clock.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

Skiprr wrote: Is steel challenge covered under an organizational body?
http://www.steelchallenge.com/

Topic author
Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Wow. Interesting. I'd never heard of the ISI or SCSA. Well-known shooters compete, but is this a start-up?

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

jbirds1210 wrote:Being an IDPA addict makes this choice easy for me. I think it will likely be the most popular here because it closely relates to our chosen lifestyle.

I do want to read about all kinds of competitive shooting. I might never choose to invest in specialized equipment for other sports, but I would love to hear what others have to say about them. If it involves friends, shooting, and a safe environment......I am ready to read about it!
Jason

:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Competitive Shooting”