Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

IDPA For The Disabled

Post by carlson1 »

Is there such a thing?

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Not officially but I know of clubs who have accomodated people with severe limitations. As long as the shooter can accomplish the required tasks in a safe manner, most clubs will find a way to make it work.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HighVelocity »

Our club (Cross Timbers IDPA), looks at it on a case by case basis. If the would-be shooter can navigate the course of fire safely and not endanger himself or others in the process then we will do our best to accomodate him/her.
Since I started shooting IDPA, I've only seen two people that required minor adjustments to the COF due to reduced mobility or range of motion. Those adjustments were made and both shooters were safe and had fun.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My mobility is limited. I cannot walk for long distances at a time. I was just curious. Thanks for the answers.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

I am the IDPA match director at Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont. We have made accommodations for a gentleman who is confined to a power chair and I would look at any other disabilities and try to work around them with an emphasis on safety.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Carlson1, IDPA rules limit a course of fire to no more than 10 yards total movement for the shooter. There is no time limit to complete a scenario. You should be just fine. Want me to come up and run a practice match for you so you can try it out?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SRVA wrote:Carlson1, . . . Want me to come up and run a practice match for you so you can try it out?
What a great opportunity for a lot of us from our area to come up and see you and the family!

Chas.

TraCoun

YES !!!!

Post by TraCoun »

:iagree:

TraCoun

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I will do my best to be there if this works out....give me a few days to change appointments!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

SRVA wrote:Carlson1, IDPA rules limit a course of fire to no more than 10 yards total movement for the shooter. There is no time limit to complete a scenario. You should be just fine. Want me to come up and run a practice match for you so you can try it out?
I would love to do that. I would not want to put anyone out. I miss shooting and competition. My condition has kept me on a basic range for many years. I have never even attended an IDPA match. I am willing to learn.

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

OK, Let's see if we can pull this off. Do you have a range near you where we can set up a couple of scenarios? We could travel on Friday evening, have a practice match on a Saturday and all attend your services on Sunday morning before returning home. We need:

A range
Available dates
List of everyone interested in participating

This might be tough to do before Christmas but, since we are a talented group of shooters, we should be able to make this happen.

Thoughts??

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Sounds like an excellent idea! I have never packed my Sunday best with my range bag :grin: I think a road trip to shoot with Carl would be a blast!

My vote is for sometime in January other than the second weekend!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Me Too. :iagree:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

First attempt at a date - Saturday, January 20th, 2007

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

SRVA wrote:First attempt at a date - Saturday, January 20th, 2007
That looks like a good date for me too. I've got it pencilled in on my calender. Any thoughts on location?

Gary
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Return to “Competitive Shooting”