Legal Holster & Magazines for IDPA?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 2

Legal Holster & Magazines for IDPA?

Post by Reds45ACP »

I am interested in shooting an IDPA match but I don't know if I have all the right (or legal) equipment. I've tried reading through the rules and I'll be honest they are a bit confusing and not always clear.

I have a Bianchi AccuMold® Thumbsnap Paddle Holster (7500 model) for my 1911. Link: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Pro ... delID=7500. Does that fall within' the "Daylight" rule or do I still need an IWB holster?

Pic with the Bianchi holster on with the 1911 in it (unloaded):

Also, I have 4 magazines but two are 7-round (Remington) and two are 8-round (Kimber). I'm not 100% sure but it looks like not having all the same magazine is illegal as well. What types of magazine holders are allowed/required?

Thanks for the help in advance.

*Edit: Added Photo for reference*
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Legal Holster & Magazines for IDPA?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Your holster will be fine.

An economical way I know of to address a mag holder for competition would be to purchase one of these from Fobus: 1911 .45 SINGLE STACK - DOUBLE MAGAZINE PADDLE POUCH

For you magazines, since two are 7-rounders and two are 8-rounders, you can get started easy enough by putting the 7-rounders in your mag pouch. Then when you load and make ready with the 8-rounder, it becomes a "7+1", with 7 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. At that point, all three magazines are loaded to the same capacity and you are legal.

At some point in the future, if you want to purchase a 3rd 8-rounder, then you can load and make ready, top off the magazine, and now have 3 magazines all loaded to 8 rounds which is also legal.

My final point is don't let worries about holsters or mag pouches keep you from going to IDPA and trying it out. No newcomer will be turned away from competing because their holster doesn't meet the rules so long as it is a safe holster -- which the Bianchi obviously is safe.

Also dedicated mag pouches aren't required, although they are an advantage. I've had cases where I went to a match straight from work and had forgotten my OWB holster and double mag pouch. So I competed with my normal everyday IWB carry holster, everyday IWB carry single mag pouch, and the 3rd magazine in my pocket. Competing with your normal EDC gear is right within the spirit of IDPA.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

A-R

Post by A-R »

Jumping Frog wrote: My final point is don't let worries about holsters or mag pouches keep you from going to IDPA and trying it out. No newcomer will be turned away from competing because their holster doesn't meet the rules so long as it is a safe holster ...

Competing with your normal EDC gear is right within the spirit of IDPA.
I completely agree with above and just add that competing with your EDC equipment is THE BEST way to make IDPA into effective practice even a basic form of "training". Though most will correctly tell you IDPA does not replace true training, it is a great way to test your training in a measured way against other shooters.

Topic author
Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

Given that extra magazines for my EDC are $40 a piece and those only hold 6+1 I'm thinking that shooting my 1911 for IDPA makes more sense. I am taking a course designed for CHL holders later this year that includes live fire and what they call real life scenarios.

My biggest concern is signing-up, paying, driving out to a match, then getting told to go home because I have illegal equipment and I "shoulda read the rules."

So, I need another 8-round magazine and a double mag pouch and I should be legal with the holster I have. Much appreciated. :tiphat:
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Are you near Austin? If so try http://www.texastactical.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Mike Webb is a great match director and as long as your equipment is safe youll be fine. The finer points of the rules are to keep the top shooters from "gaming the system" to achieve that extra fraction of a second faster time.

Edited to add: you'll be fine with 7-round 1911 mags. Double mag pouch would be handy but not imperitive.

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CWOOD »

I second the comments above. That Fobus double mag pouch is under $25 and will last forever. One point on the Accumold holster. It has a safety strap on the holster. If such a strap is on the holster, it must be fastened in place for the start of your course of fire. You do not have to have such a strap, but if your holster has one you must use it.

As was said earlier.local matches, as opposed to official, sanctioned matches, are usually much more accommodating/flexible as long as safety is not at issue. Texas Tactical, and indeed most IDPA clubs are very welcoming to new SAFE shooters.

Go to a match
Be SAFE
Have FUN

Show up early enough to attend the 'New Shooters Meeting' before the match.
Help tape targets, pick up brass.
Be open to meeting new folks.
If you have questions, ASK.

You will routinely find some of the nicest folks around at these matches.

If you go to them and participate on at least a monthly basis you WILL become a better, faster, more accurate and SAFER shooter. And you will have a really good time with good companions.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”