Shot a CMP Leg Match

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
threoh8
Posts in topic: 2

Shot a CMP Leg Match

Post by threoh8 »

I shot a CMP Pistol EIC (Excellence in Competition) “Leg” Match in Wichita Falls this weekend. That’s a one-handed, “stand up on your hind legs and shoot like a man” match with a stock-ish M1911 or M9, with hardball. This is the first formal bullseye match I’ve shot in 30 years, and I really enjoyed it. I’m not a natural at it. I'm just happy to say I didn’t come in last.
Bullseye shooting may not be good tactical training, but in every sport I know it’s good to go back to the basics now and then. Sight alignment and trigger control, in this case.
My 5” Colt easily lifted the 4 pound trigger weight and functioned perfectly, as usual. I’d like adjustable sights on it, but that wouldn’t have helped my score much. The worst thing it did was put the rounds exactly where I pointed it.
The best thing about this match was the people. I spent some quality time with my brother and nephew, talked with a friend I haven’t seen in years, and met some new,positive people who like to talk guns and shooting.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shot a CMP Leg Match

Post by WildBill »

I like bullseye shooting. None of that two-handed sissy stuff. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
threoh8
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shot a CMP Leg Match

Post by threoh8 »

It does make you appreciate what that other hand can do for steadiness and recoil control!

In my limited preparation for the match, I confirmed that my regular handloads and my (factory) JHP carry rounds are more accurate than the particular factory 230-grain ball ammunition I used for the match. My .45 does like 200-grain cast SWC bullets (HG 68-style, if you please). And I like those great big, sharp-edged holes they make in the paper. Sooo much easier to see ... ;-)

Before I shoot another Leg match, I'll try to find a better, CMP-legal ammunition match for my pistol.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”