Need help with IDPA Division guns

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Need help with IDPA Division guns

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I am looking to shoot my first IDPA match and am not sure what gun(s) I should bring. Here is a list of guns that I might use and what division(s) I think each falls into based on my read of the rulebook. Can someone check my facts here?

Glock 43 = BUG, SSP, ESP, CCP
Glock 26 = BUG, SSP, ESP, CCP
Glock 19 = SSP, ESP, CCP
Glock 21 = SSP, ESP, CDP
1911 Government model* = SSP, ESP, CDP
1911 Commander model* = SSP, ESP, CDP
1911 Officer model* = BUG, SSP, ESP, CDP
Sig Sauer P226 X5 = None (too heavy)

* On the 1911's do I need to make sure that there is an annual production of at least 2,000 units for that specific make and model (e.g. Dan Wesson Valor)? If so, how do I get that info?

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need help with IDPA Division guns

Post by TXBO »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I am looking to shoot my first IDPA match and am not sure what gun(s) I should bring. Here is a list of guns that I might use and what division(s) I think each falls into based on my read of the rulebook. Can someone check my facts here?

Glock 43 = BUG, SSP, ESP, CCP
Glock 26 = BUG, SSP, ESP, CCP
Glock 19 = SSP, ESP, CCP
Glock 21 = SSP, ESP, CDP
1911 Government model* = SSP, ESP, CDP
1911 Commander model* = SSP, ESP, CDP
1911 Officer model* = BUG, SSP, ESP, CDP
Sig Sauer P226 X5 = None (too heavy)

* On the 1911's do I need to make sure that there is an annual production of at least 2,000 units for that specific make and model (e.g. Dan Wesson Valor)? If so, how do I get that info?
The 1911's will be CDP unless they qualify for BUG.
You could shoot all of those Glocks in those categories but SSP is where they belong.
Glock 43 and 26 can also be used for BUG.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Looks basically right on a quick glace.

Honestly, just show up, let them know you're new and ask what division to shoot with what you brought that day.

Competition folks are friendly, and you'll get plenty of advice if you let them know you're looking for it.

In my experience, even when a newbie shows up with a gun that isn't "IDPA legal", they let them shoot the match and just don't score it with the others, just to get you hooked.

I'd also recommend you try USPSA if at all possible. I personally prefer it to IDPA, but that's purely my opinion.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

74novaman wrote:Looks basically right on a quick glace.

Honestly, just show up, let them know you're new and ask what division to shoot with what you brought that day.

Competition folks are friendly, and you'll get plenty of advice if you let them know you're looking for it.

In my experience, even when a newbie shows up with a gun that isn't "IDPA legal", they let them shoot the match and just don't score it with the others, just to get you hooked.

I'd also recommend you try USPSA if at all possible. I personally prefer it to IDPA, but that's purely my opinion.
Thanks. I may definitely try USPSA as well.

DanD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DanD »

Make sure your squad knows this is your first competition and they will be taken care of you. I've competed for more than 2.5 years and all the people are great.

The minimum equipment you will need for SSP or ESP is 3 magazines, your gun, a good gun holster and a good magazine pouch that hold 2 magazines.

If you want to shoot BUG you will need a gun that meets the size requirements and you will also need 4 magazines, a good gun holster, and magazine pouches that hold 3 or 4 magazines.

I highly recommend the Comp-Tac holsters http://www.comp-tac.com.

The Comp-Tac International Holster is a good choice for an IDPA legal gun holster http://www.comp-tac.com/competition-hol ... ster-10241. It can be setup as a paddle holster or as a belt holster. You won't be able to use the drop-offset mount unless you are a woman. I don't know if USPSA allows drop-offset mounts.

Since it will be your first competition you will not have to wear a cover garment. Also, I've had first timers in my squad show up with a loaded gun in their holster. Most ranges are cold ranges, which means no walking around with a loaded weapon. You may be sent home for this infraction. You can only load the gun under direct command from the Safety Officer in your squad right before you shoot the course of fire.

Go at your own pace and be safe. You will get faster and become a much better shot as you compete more.

Just remember to have fun and be safe.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

DanD wrote:Make sure your squad knows this is your first competition and they will be taken care of you. I've competed for more than 2.5 years and all the people are great.

The minimum equipment you will need for SSP or ESP is 3 magazines, your gun, a good gun holster and a good magazine pouch that hold 2 magazines.

If you want to shoot BUG you will need a gun that meets the size requirements and you will also need 4 magazines, a good gun holster, and magazine pouches that hold 3 or 4 magazines.

I highly recommend the Comp-Tac holsters http://www.comp-tac.com.

The Comp-Tac International Holster is a good choice for an IDPA legal gun holster http://www.comp-tac.com/competition-hol ... ster-10241. It can be setup as a paddle holster or as a belt holster. You won't be able to use the drop-offset mount unless you are a woman. I don't know if USPSA allows drop-offset mounts.

Since it will be your first competition you will not have to wear a cover garment. Also, I've had first timers in my squad show up with a loaded gun in their holster. Most ranges are cold ranges, which means no walking around with a loaded weapon. You may be sent home for this infraction. You can only load the gun under direct command from the Safety Officer in your squad right before you shoot the course of fire.

Go at your own pace and be safe. You will get faster and become a much better shot as you compete more.

Just remember to have fun and be safe.
Thanks for all the info. I actually took a new IDPA shooter class last Saturday, so not brand new, but I have not actually competed yet. I am definitely looking forward to it.

One question on the cover garment, which it sounds like I can pass on this first time, but for future reference. Do I need a special vest, or can I just use a light jacket?

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If I understand the IDPA rules correctly (I don't normally compete in IDPA), your 'cover' must be long enough that your holster, gun, mag pouch are not visible below the hem. With both arms held up horizontally out to the sides (turning you into a giant letter 'T') none of the gear on your belt can be visible from the front. Think of it as a more stringent version of 30.07...... "rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

DanD

Post by DanD »

Any garment that covers your gun with your arms strait out to the side will work. I've seen people wear long Hawaiian shirts, fishing vests, and tactical vests and in the cooler weather jackets and winter coats.

What you will mostly see people wear is: Thicker and/or stiffer vest material makes it easier to clear the garment from your gun. A thinner material could result in the shirt/vest wrapping around your hand as you try to clear your cover garment with a fast sweeping motion. Because of the hot Houston weather I had tried a vest with thin material and had problems with it wrapping around my hand as I swept it away. I'm sure if I changed my technique I could solve this problem, but I switched back to my 5.11 tactical vest instead.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I am going to shoot in my first IDPA match in the morning. Any tips would be more than welcome. I have done a little research but this was a last minute decision as my mother decided she wanted the grandkids for the weekend.

DanD

Post by DanD »

Make sure the Safety Officer (SO) that is running your squad knows this is your first time so that they don't make you go first. It will really help you to see other people shoot the stage.

There will be a walkthrough of each stage before your squad shoots it. Make sure to ask questions if you don't understand the course of fire.

Help tape targets between shooters as this will help things go quicker for everyone especially on hot days. Get into the good practice of treating your local match like a higher tier match by not touching or taping the target until it has been scored.

If you are the next to shoot don't go tape targets. This is your time to get mentally ready and think through the course of fire before you are on the clock. No air gunning allowed (i.e. no practice shooting the stage with your fingers like a gun). However, you can quickly walk the stage while others are taping targets to build your mental image of what you are going to do and where you are going to do reloads.

When shooting from the right side of a barricade have your right foot forward. When shooting from the left side of a barricade have your left foot forward.

When shooting from behind cover, none of your lower body can be exposed and no more than 50% of your upper body can be exposed. As part of the walkthrough your SO will show everyone where they will call cover for barricades.

After you shoot, make sure to walk the course with the SO as it gets scored to see how you did.

One safety tip, you are not on the clock to holster a loaded gun so be slow, safe, and deliberate and keep your finger clear of the trigger.

Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kkpsiknl »

First match is in the books and I'll be able to see my score later tonight. The SO cut me a little slack on the first stage for not moving as I was shooting but other then that I think I did decent. I am definitely hooked and looking for more matches. Thanks for the advice everyone.

DanD

Post by DanD »

Congratulations Kkpsiknl on your first IDPA match. I think you have caught the bug.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”