TXshoot.com - Consolidate this information.

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texasmusic
Posts in topic: 3

TXshoot.com - Consolidate this information.

Post by texasmusic »

In order to promote the participation in shooting competitions & events across Texas, I've started a project. I took some inspiration from the Crossfit website that was sent to me one day, they have a clear map with the locations & dates of their gym's, so there's almost no excuse to avoid getting the required information to get out there & participate. (disclaimer - I didn't go to crossfit, don't go to crossfit, I'm not a crossfitter & I don't promote for them, I'd rather be shooting). That's how they operate in the 21st century & they've had a worldwide boom in participation that shouldn't be ignored.

In that sense I want to see the same thing - ease of access & participation for the shooting sports. A simple place for someone to go & find out where & when they can shoot their first match. Remove the first barrier to participation. Also remove the first barrier for an experienced IDPA guy who has a rifle, but has never done a High Power style match (or any combination of the above). It's there & it's waiting for you, no excuses!

I also want a place for the small-time guys. The guys who host a steel-challenge or a Turkey match one or two times per year but rely on word of mouth to get their attendance up, because they don't have the resources or the need to get a website started.

I've had some participation from the match directors in the Big 3 (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio), but I want the outliers to get in there & show us all what's available & make it a true consolidated resource.

This is a not-for-profit operation. As soon as I can get the NRA & TSRA to give me permission to post links/ads to their site, I'll be doing that.

http://www.txshoot.com

(Charles & moderators, you might remember me emailing you a few months ago about this. I was hesitant to post this on your site, being that I'm essentially trying to promote another site, but I think we have the same goals in mind. If I'm over the line please let me know.)
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

The Annoyed Man

Re: TXshoot.com - Consolidate this information.

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Your site is taking forever to load.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Teamless »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Your site is taking forever to load.
:iagree:
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

The Annoyed Man

ERROR 504 - GATEWAY TIMEOUT
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

:oops:

It has been slow recently, can't figure out why. (if anyone knows how websites work please shoot me an email.)

I've been able to load it today, I was in there changing a few things earlier which may have caused the error.

The Annoyed Man

PM sent.

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Just a note that the issue still seems to be there. I timed a default page load at 87 seconds, but it did load. At least one of those plug-ins is throwing 21 errors and 7 warnings: https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3 ... oot.com%2F. I don't think it's the WP theme or associated CSS files because the "pages" that render without the map or calendar plugins load in just a couple of seconds.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

remanifest

Post by remanifest »

Are you relying purely on user input to obtain your data, or are you using open APIs to aggregate data and reflect true statuses?
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

I was in touch with the Developer of the Map/Calendar plugin & it has now been updated, it appears to load better for me on the PC & tablet now. Map still takes a while to populate itself once the page is loaded though.

Remanifest:
Not sure what you mean by the second part, but yes I'll rely on users to input the data. I thought about crawling the websites myself to populate it at first, but I realized that there may be some old sites out there that reflect things that aren't actually happening.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Pull in Dallas Pistol Club Calendar of shooting events
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

It's loading much faster now, thanks.

One suggestion, there are other firearms courses offered besides LTC/CHL.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Competitive Shooting”