IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
equin
Posts in topic: 19

Lonestar Armory Run and Gun (Biathlon)

Post by equin »

https://texasrunandgun.org/2018-lone-st ... n-and-gun/

Anyone on here registered for this? It’s scheduled for Feb 24 and 25 near Cresson, southwest of Ft. Worth. Supposed to be 5 to 7 miles long, with some obstacles thrown in, but walking is allowed. I just signed up for it. It’ll be my first one.
Ed

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lonestar Armory Run and Gun (Biathlon)

Post by flechero »

Looks fun, and i wish I hadn't quit running 2 years ago!

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 13

Post by ammoboy2 »

I registered for the Cresson event and have run the Waco Tactical Fitness (since the abbr does not pass muster)and Zombie Destruction a couple of times.

I would recommend practicing some non-conventional shooting positions and conditions, they tend to turn-up in the biathlons. Knowing your ranging and cross wind hold overs will be useful. We have had some 20 mph crosswinds on 400 yd targets before.

Make sure you can carry all your equipment and ammo loadout and be able to run with it for the extended period. It is tougher than you think when you have about 25-35 lbs of mags, ammo, pistol, rifle, and water.

Good Luck it is alot of fun.

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

Thanks for the excellent advice, Ammoboy2. I guess I need to figure out how to determine range and practice shooting from different positions. I don't have much in the way of gear, either, and am wondering if I can get by with lugging mags, extra ammo and a couple water bottles in a backpack.
Ed

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

You can use a backpack, I use a camelbak to carry spare ammo to refill mags, but it makes it tough to get a new mag to finish a stage. The Waco event were 180 sec max so time digging in a backpack makes it difficult to complete the stage. Check out the photos from the 1st Waco event or the other photos from Lone Star event page. You will see a wide variety of loadouts from warbelts to vests, or old Vietnam era Alice web gear.

https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/photos

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

Thanks again, Ammoboy2. Those photos make it look like a whole lot of fun. So was each stage at Waco 3 minute max? Or did it vary by stage? Do folks reload their mags while heading to the next stage?
Ed

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Last time I ran it all the stages were 180 sec, it is detailed in their course of fire on the website. The Lonestar has not defined it yet. The Waco TF, have generally topped off mags while running/moving between stages, sometimes during a wait.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

ammoboy2 wrote:You can use a backpack, I use a camelbak to carry spare ammo to refill mags, but it makes it tough to get a new mag to finish a stage. The Waco event were 180 sec max so time digging in a backpack makes it difficult to complete the stage. Check out the photos from the 1st Waco event or the other photos from Lone Star event page. You will see a wide variety of loadouts from warbelts to vests, or old Vietnam era Alice web gear.

Reminds me of Ft Leonard Wood, MO, circa 1973. Y'all have fun!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

ammoboy2 wrote:Last time I ran it all the stages were 180 sec, it is detailed in their course of fire on the website. The Lonestar has not defined it yet. The Waco TF, have generally topped off mags while running/moving between stages, sometimes during a wait.
Sorry for all the dumb questions and thanks again, Ammoboy2.

Which heat did you sign up for? I whimped out and chose an early morning heat with the walking option, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to at least jog most of the way. I’m not a runner by any means, but so far I’ve been able to work my way up to a slow 4 mile jog with about 20 lbs of canned food stuffed in my backpack.
Ed

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

oljames3 wrote:
ammoboy2 wrote:You can use a backpack, I use a camelbak to carry spare ammo to refill mags, but it makes it tough to get a new mag to finish a stage. The Waco event were 180 sec max so time digging in a backpack makes it difficult to complete the stage. Check out the photos from the 1st Waco event or the other photos from Lone Star event page. You will see a wide variety of loadouts from warbelts to vests, or old Vietnam era Alice web gear.

Reminds me of Ft Leonard Wood, MO, circa 1973. Y'all have fun!
Thanks for your service! I would guess both active and retired military would easily dominate and find these types of competitions to be relatively easy compared to all the training they’ve endured.
Ed

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

I am on the 2 pm heat. I just did some regular jogging of about 3.5 miles so you are doing better than I was since I did not have a pack. I plan to conduct jogging with weights till the event.

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Well how was it everyone that signed up? I "ran" at 1:30 which was post ran but not post mud.

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

Unfortunately, I had to bow out due to illness. My heat was the early morning one at 8 am, so it would’ve been pre-rain I think. How was it? Any photos? I’m still very much intetested in doing my first one.
Ed

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SQLGeek »

I've just recently learned of these events and they're something I definitely want to start working toward. These would be a great fitness training goal (ie a purpose for training beyond general fitnesss) AND an excuse to purpose build-out an AR beyond general plinking or defense.

I had not heard of this particular event before so it's on my list. :tiphat:
Psalm 91:2

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

The saturday morning runners, it did not matter when you started you got rained on. I started at 1:35 and finished at 17:11 of that time they subtract wait and shoot time which was 135 minutes. I took an hour and a half to "run it". There were alot of up and down hills. So the distance was effectively increased and associated work out.

The people that ran it sunday had it easy, less mud, warmer, and sunny. I at least did not get rained on, but I have done that before. It is a good test of your character and shows you how difficult everything becomes with percip.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”