Wish list for 2009

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wish list for 2009

Post by DoubleJ »

come on parking lot bill. I'm shootin' small.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomneal »

Just a thought question

How would federal gun laws be affected if Texas passed a law stating that CHL holders were the Texas Militia?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by KBCraig »

tomneal wrote:Just a thought question

How would federal gun laws be affected if Texas passed a law stating that CHL holders were the Texas Militia?
Not at all. Federal gun laws don't have an exemption for membership in the state militia.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Clarify when, where, how, and how much 30.06 signs can be posted, ie proper size and at every entrance, every entrance bar none, ending the mall problem, same for school districts posting parking lots, and hospitals with one door posted.

Also make it clear that a sign that is not the proper size, shape, etc, will be considered invalid and will be ignored not just by CHL holders, but by law enforcement agencies.

Well, one can dream.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

If we're making wishes, figure out some way for CHL to count as "qualified law enforcement officer" for LEOSA.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

If someone isn't operating a motor vehicle, eliminate the requirement to show ID with the CHL. The license is issued by DPS and has a picture so it should be sufficient ID all by itself. If someone is driving they still need a DL, whether or not they have a CHL. In fact, with the new law, most people can carry in a car without a CHL so there's no logical reason to require someone to show both. Change the law to make sense.

Make the penalty for carrying a gun without having your license with you the same penalty as driving a car without having your license with you. They can reduce the penalty for CHL or increase the penalty for DL but the penalty for not having your license with you should be the same.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Ok, since this is a Wish list, how about a law that permits open licensed carry? If you have a CHL, you may carry openly or concealed. Am I dreaming?
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Monkey404error

Post by Monkey404error »

Oh, wish list, wish list. I want a puppy, and a pony, and a....
I'm kidding.

In reality though, I would like to reiterate taking away the ban on being able to carry in public schools/unvisities/etc., starting with the college level (in other words schools after high school) because while I'm not sure there are too many, there might be some high school or middle schools that have metal detectors in them. Also either get rid of 30.06 altogether, or do what one poster said earlier, and force anyone who wishes to place these signs, install metal detectors and hire armed security or police officers. Another also, prevent employers from prohibiting employees from being able to carry.

But if we're wishing, should I wish some for some truely outlandish requests, some that I know would never in a million years pass, but would be willing to give up so it would seem like I'm "willing to play ball". You know, go in asking for everything from free peanut Friday, to ownership of the future settlements of the stars, but be willing to give them up to help get the "lesser" things passed, which is all that we wanted passed in the first place.
http://concealedcampus.org/index.htm
Students should also have the rights to defend themselves

TEX

Post by TEX »

The ability to carry anywhere an LEO can carry would be nice, but I fear is taking a big step that would not go un-noticed and would probably be fought or opposed. Ability to carry in employee parking facilities and adult learning facilities (universities and trade schools) would be good steps. The ability for CHL holders to carry otherwise illegal knives (autos and dirks) would also be nice as would the removal of sales tax on firearms, ammunition, etc. for CHL holders.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

tomneal wrote:Just a thought question

Not much at all and it would be wrong under Federal law as the militia is all people willing and able to defend their community, the state, the nation, and the Constitution. (Heller says this but uses males, and I am asserting that women cannot be denied this right, to participate in the militia, even if they are never REQUIRED to participate.)
HerbM

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

carlson1 wrote:
tornado wrote:
RKirby wrote:My wishes for 2009 are simple...give CHL's the right to carry anywhere that an LEO legally can, and remove the restrictions related to carrying in school buildings.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
:thumbs2:
:iagree:

I have long asserted that any prohibited place should be required to provide security of the following form:

1) Armed guard check points that use electronic and/or physical searches to ensure no arms are brought into the facility
2) Guarded Lockup storage "check rooms" for leaving a firearm during a visit
3) Enforcement on ALL visitors, including POLICE who are not and on duty part of the security of the facility
4) An essential safety reason

An example of a place that could generally pass this would be a prison, where even visiting police must deposit firearms in a secure storage area.

Note: failure to enforce Rule #3 would be evidence that #4 was not true.

I would insist these requirements be placed on every 30.06 sign, certainly on those where public entry is generally allowed.
(Only exceptions for private homes and such might be allowed -- where the public is not commonly affected.)

We all know that every "imaginary no guns allowed line" is an open invitation to a psychopath or other violent criminal who is seeking a gun free victim zone.

If you wish to forbid firearms you must really enforce it.
HerbM

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There might be those who think that that off duty police are to be trusted more than a CHL, The statistics bare out that we as CHLers are just as trustworthy. We have the same or marginally better criminal records as a group.

If we are to stand any chance of making progress toward these ends we need to find the enemy, expose them, and attack the enemy.

We need to expose every politician that opposes progress, we need to find out who gives them money, We need to boycott businesses that support the antis, and we need to let them know why. The same folks who mutilated and then robbed us of our parking lot bill will be out in force in in 2009.

Well except for Rosenthal.. Hmm ... I wonder why his supporters abandonned support for him, just when he needed it most.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Russell wrote:Like was stated above, make it clear in the statutes that if a 30.06 sign is not posted on every entrance door accessible to the public, EXACTLY as is stated in the law, that it will be completely ignored and no consequences are to arise from ignoring the sign.

I'm tired of the gray area that exists because of signs like Taco Cabana's.
The "contrasting colors" language is really the most questionable.White letters on clear glass is not contrasting.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by KBCraig »

Russell wrote:Like was stated above, make it clear in the statutes that if a 30.06 sign is not posted on every entrance door accessible to the public, ...
The law doesn't say any such thing. It says notice must be posted "conspicuous to the public".

There's no requirement that every door be posted.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”