Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Re: 2009 needs to be a clarification year

Post by anygunanywhere »

Russell wrote:.

Thoughts?
Just allow anyone with a CHL to carry anywhere LEO can carry.

Gov. Perry has stated his support for this idea.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

thankGod
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thankGod »

There does seem to be confusion in regards to what Russell mentioned, and of course there is the Post Office issue. Clarification would be nice.

However, I agree with anygun, who agrees with Perry. So, the motion is passed and carried! ;-)
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Russell wrote:Sorry, but I disagree. I do not think CHL holders should be able to carry anywhere LEO's can, do to the fact that that really would go against private property rights.

We need to start small, and clarifying the few things I mentioned up above would be leaps and bounds above what we have right now.
Then the law that allows LEO to carry anywhere needs to be changed.

There should be no differentiation between LEO and law abiding citizens. We are not the problem.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

I agree 100%.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Purplehood wrote:
I agree 100%.
NRA lifetime member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Russell wrote:It appears I'm the minority here on this one. Sounds fun :mrgreen:

The law that allows LEO's to practically carry anywhere does not need to be changed. It is their job to apprehend criminals and prevent crime, therefor they need to have the authority and ability to do that.

It is not a CHL holders job to be an LEO. If private property is posted, so be it. Report it (texas3006.com), try to change the owner's mind (Hand out no guns no money cards), and then go somewhere else and talk with your dollars.

But above all, and I mean ABOVE ALL, respect private property rights, and that includes allowing the owner to restrict who, and what, he does not want on his land.

We can fight our fight, but that fight should not entail taking away private property owner's rights.

It is not our right to be on their land with something they don't want on there. Go purchase your stuff somewhere else if their business is posted.

That is my stance. :)
Okay, be that way. :mrgreen:

Government, any government, federal, state, county, municipality, taxing district, school district, ANY government that collects fees or taxes citizens or exercises authority over citizens does not have the authority under the constitution to ban law abiding citizen carry anywhere any federal, state, county, municipality, taxing district, school district, ANY government LEO are allowed to carry.

We grant the government their power and we can remove that power. The constitution says so. They do not grant us our rights.

This does not interfere with any so-called sacred private property rights, and I have stated my points on the property rights issue on other threads.

Anygunanywhere

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

anygunanywhere wrote:Just allow anyone with a CHL to carry anywhere LEO can carry.

Anygunanywhere
I wrote the bill within 3 days of Governor Perry making that statement.

Chas.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Just allow anyone with a CHL to carry anywhere LEO can carry.

Anygunanywhere

Chas.
Thank you, Charles.

Anygunanywhere

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Chas.
I have agreed with this since day one. Mr. Cotton now the Bill is written push it through for us. :hurry:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Russell wrote:It appears I'm the minority here on this one. Sounds fun :mrgreen:

The law that allows LEO's to practically carry anywhere does not need to be changed. It is their job to apprehend criminals and prevent crime, therefor they need to have the authority and ability to do that.

It is not a CHL holders job to be an LEO. If private property is posted, so be it. Report it (texas3006.com), try to change the owner's mind (Hand out no guns no money cards), and then go somewhere else and talk with your dollars.

But above all, and I mean ABOVE ALL, respect private property rights, and that includes allowing the owner to restrict who, and what, he does not want on his land.

We can fight our fight, but that fight should not entail taking away private property owner's rights.

It is not our right to be on their land with something they don't want on there. Go purchase your stuff somewhere else if their business is posted.

Exempting CHLs from both TPC§§ 46.02 and 46.03 (as are LEOs, judges, probation officers, railroad COPS, and many more) will allow CHLs to carry in places that would otherwise be off-limits under TPC §46.03 and 46.035. This has nothing to do with removing a private citizen's ability to post their property with 30.06 signs.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Exempting CHLs from both TPC§§ 46.02 and 46.03 (as are LEOs, judges, probation officers, railroad COPS, and many more) will allow CHLs to carry in places that would otherwise be off-limits under TPC §46.03 and 46.035. This has nothing to do with removing a private citizen's ability to post their property with 30.06 signs.

Chas.
Here is the statutory language I should have included earlier. LEOs cannot be prosecuted for criminal trespass if the sole reason for excluding them was the possession of a firearm. This is true even if the LEO is off-duty. (I don't want to get into an argument about "I'm always on-duty. No you aren't. You're always a LEO, but you're not always "on duty.") Remember, TPC §30.06 does not apply to armed LEOs since they wouldn't be carrying pursuant to the authority of their CHL, even if they have one. So the only basis for a criminal trespass charge against a LEO would be TPC §30.05.

Chas.
TPC 30.05 wrote:(i) This section [criminal trespass] does not apply if:
  • (1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and
    (2) the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”