Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

New Thread - Discussion of Pending Bills

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I created a new thread for discussions of pending bills to avoid the Bill Status thread from becoming too long for it's intended purpose. I've also moved all discussion posts from the status thread to that thread.

Please post all discussion posts there.

Thanks,
Chas.

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

Some of these appear to have doubles. The castle doctrine is one, and employer parking lots is one. Are there subtle differences we should know about?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

HB 595 now has text, and it is....
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Has an act like this ever tried to pass this type of legislation before? How poorly was it received?
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

razoraggie

Post by razoraggie »

I'm a little confused about HB2112. My wife is a teacher and, up to this point, it has been "legal" for her to leave her carry piece secured in her locked vehicle. So, this bill would force her to park off of the school parking lot? Seems strange that they would pass a bill making it illegal for an employer to ban firearms from employee's vehicles unless it is not a public parking lot. Aren't schools owned by the State, thus making them a public parking lot? Yet another example of some one thinking they have a good idea but not planning it out.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

razoraggie wrote:I'm a little confused about HB2112. My wife is a teacher and, up to this point, it has been "legal" for her to leave her carry piece secured in her locked vehicle. So, this bill would force her to park off of the school parking lot? Seems strange that they would pass a bill making it illegal for an employer to ban firearms from employee's vehicles unless it is not a public parking lot. Aren't schools owned by the State, thus making them a public parking lot? Yet another example of some one thinking they have a good idea but not planning it out.
It would not change the status of you wife's CHL status on school property.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

txinvestigator wrote:
razoraggie wrote:I'm a little confused about HB2112. My wife is a teacher and, up to this point, it has been "legal" for her to leave her carry piece secured in her locked vehicle. So, this bill would force her to park off of the school parking lot? Seems strange that they would pass a bill making it illegal for an employer to ban firearms from employee's vehicles unless it is not a public parking lot. Aren't schools owned by the State, thus making them a public parking lot? Yet another example of some one thinking they have a good idea but not planning it out.
HB 2112 would make it illegal for a CHL holder (or anyone else) to have a firearm in a school parking lot.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

jrosto wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
HB 2112 would make it illegal for a CHL holder (or anyone else) to have a firearm in a school parking lot.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html
The actual change is
Sections 46.03(a) and (b), Penal Code, are amended to read as follows:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(7) in or on any real property that is owned or leased by a public or private school or educational institution and routinely used by the faculty, staff, students, or visitors of the school or educational institution, including a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
It certainly appears that it would affect anyone who has a CHL in that it would prohibit all weapons from being on any real estate owned or controlled by a school or other educational institution.

On the other hand, it doesn't even have a co-sponsor or co-author yet. It appears to be languishing...

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've been swamped and I got a little behind updating the status of bills filed. All I had time to do was post updates on major actions on bills, so I updated the minor stuff as well today.

Sorry for letting it get a little outdated.

Chas.

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Your efforts are more appreciated than you could ever know Charles. Thank you so much for taking the time to do what you do here.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

jhutto

Perry

Post by jhutto »

Any news on any bills coming along that would allow unrestricted carry for CHL holders? I remember gvnr perry mentioning somthing to this effect? in light of the virginia tech shootings.

Thanks

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

It's too late in the session for new bills to be introduced. The next opportunity is most likely 2009.

- Jim

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

seamusTX wrote:It's too late in the session for new bills to be introduced. The next opportunity is most likely 2009.

- Jim
He'll still be Governor in 2009, it would be near impossible and politically suicidal for him to back out on this, even if he wanted to. It could build up to a strong following if we keep on it for the next 2 years.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

stroo

Post by stroo »

Charles,

As I read the updates, my impression is that nothing is going to be passed this session beyond the Castle Doctrine bill. Is that right?

On eliminating Gun Free Zones, the more I have thought about it, it probably is impossible to eliminate all gun free zones. However it seems to me that the only gun free zones we should even possibly have are ones where there are metal detectors and armed security. Plus the entity imposing the gun free zone ought to accept liability for any violence that takes place with in the zone. That undoubtedly is going to cause a lot of issues with business, but frankly if a business wants to take away my ability to protect myself, it ought to take on the responsibility. To do so, it needs metal detectors to keep all guns out, armed guards to end any violence quickly and liability if it fails to prevent violence.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

So what has been signed into law this session so far?

Castle Doctrine
CHL Confidentiality
No confiscation during disasters

What am I missing?

What is still likely to pass?

Thanks!

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”