SB112, Is it dead?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

SB112, Is it dead?

Post by Liberty »

SB112 (Carona R-A) Relating to the confiscation of firearms and ammunition during a state of disaster. (Emergency Powers & Anti-Confiscation Bill) This bill would prevent a New Orleans-style gun confiscation during an emergency. Voted favorably on a unanimous vote in Transportation & Homeland Security Committee on Feb. 7, 2007 and referred to Local/Uncontested. Amended to protect ammo as well as firearms. On 2/15/07, the Bill was removed from Local/Uncontested and now requires a 2/3 vote to bring it to the Senate floor for debate. (Sen. Ellis was not present for the vote.)
What does this all mean? can it come up for a vote without bringing it to the floor for debate? Is this a doomed bill?

O6nop
Posts in topic: 1

Post by O6nop »

I don't know much about the Texas Legislative process, but ready to learn. I did some checking on the Internet and found that the bill is out of committee and passed on to the next stage whichis the Intent Calendar. This done favorably by a 8-0 vote with one member absent. The bill will continue to be placed ont the Intent Calendar as long as the Senator, supposedly the one that authored it, gives notice. The Senate doesn't address the proposed bills in any particular order so the Senator must, on a daily basis, continue to place the bill on the calendar.
In short, I believe it's waiting to become a bill.

The Resources I used to determine this are:
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... genda.html
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=SB112

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Should come up for a vote...

If it came out of the committee with an 8-0...It'll get its chance on the floor...

:thumbsup:

If anything give your Senator a call...Remind them that you'd really like for them to get a vote in on this bill...Kinda throw it in their court...

And when all is said and done...Follow up with a thank you call...

Just my opinion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Should come up for a vote...

If it came out of the committee with an 8-0...It'll get its chance on the floor...

:thumbsup:

If anything give your Senator a call...Remind them that you'd really like for them to get a vote in on this bill...Kinda throw it in their court...

And when all is said and done...Follow up with a thank you call...

Just my opinion...
Good idea.
Sorta hard for me to to do phone calls while I'm at work during the week, but I sent a fax to the Austin office.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SB112 is fine, but thanks for checking and asking. Nothing is coming up on the floor of the Senate right now, but this should change very soon. I suspect we'll see SB112 taken up either tomorrow, or Tuesday, but this there is no guarantee.

Chas.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”