HB 992 Committee report sent to Calendars 03/27/2007

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

O6nop
Posts in topic: 3

Post by O6nop »

kauboy wrote:
O6nop wrote: 4) have an employer who restricts weapons on property

I think it's really intended to give CHL holders the opportunity to have a gun with them before they enter the work parking lot and after. Since my employee restricts handguns on premises, including in the car in the parking lot, I will be unarmed if I decide to stop at the store on my way home from work. Since your employer doesn't forbid legal gun carry then it wouldn't apply directly to you. Just like minimum wage laws don't directly affect you if you are making $100,000 a year.
Actually, my employee's handbook does forbid firearms. But, since I have a CHL, it has to include the exact wording of 30.06 to affect me. Since it doesn't, then legally I'm golden. I could always be fired for it, but not charged.
Even if this law passes, legally I don't have to inform them at all. So I won't be doing so. ;-)
It doesn't have anything to do with carrying while on employer's premises, only storing it in a locked vehicle. And as far as I understand it they will no longer be able to fire you for that reason if you comply to the rules stipulated in the bill.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

O6nop wrote:It doesn't have anything to do with carrying while on employer's premises, only storing it in a locked vehicle. And as far as I understand it they will no longer be able to fire you for that reason if you comply to the rules stipulated in the bill.
The point is that they will fire you BECAUSE you comply to the rules stipulated in the bill!

To think your employer won't find some other reason to terminate you is just being naive.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

Earlier I stated that I would prefer no bill be passed than pass SB 534/HB 992. I have reconsidered.

If a CHL holder decided to not provide written notification to the employer, the CHL holder will just be in the same boat that they are in right now. If the employer finds out they have a firearm in the car, they get fired.

There may be some CHL holders who would be able to take advantage of the law even if written notification is required. I will not, but some may. So SB 534/HB 992 would be better than no bill at all, but not as good as HB 1037.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jrosto wrote:Earlier I stated that I would prefer no bill be passed than pass SB 534/HB 992. I have reconsidered.

If a CHL holder decided to not provide written notification to the employer, the CHL holder will just be in the same boat that they are in right now. If the employer finds out they have a firearm in the car, they get fired.

There may be some CHL holders who would be able to take advantage of the law even if written notification is required. I will not, but some may. So SB 534/HB 992 would be better than no bill at all, but not as good as HB 1037.
This is kinda what Charles has illuded to...I agree with him, even though I have my reservations that are similar to yours...It may be a step in the right direction, to give us a better foothold to improve things even further down the road...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
fadlan12
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fadlan12 »

Both HB 992 and 220 are at calenders now, hopfully 220 gets passed and we avoid this issue all together. I honestly cannot think of a reason that letting your boss know that you have a firearm in your car can help anyone. Vehicles should be your private property and whats in them should off limits to your employer.

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

Mike1951 wrote:
O6nop wrote:It doesn't have anything to do with carrying while on employer's premises, only storing it in a locked vehicle. And as far as I understand it they will no longer be able to fire you for that reason if you comply to the rules stipulated in the bill.
The point is that they will fire you BECAUSE you comply to the rules stipulated in the bill!

To think your employer won't find some other reason to terminate you is just being naive.
Believe me, I'm not as naive as to think they won't find a reason, I was merely trying to respond to kauboy because he stated that he could only be fired, not arrested for carrying, this law would entitle you to have a gun on property with no recourse from the employer. If they want you fired for having a gun on premises, they'll find another way for sure. How important your life is to you before and after work, and how to access your gun before or after work is up to you. If that's more important to them than the work I do, I guess I'll be gone September 3rd.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”