HB 1815--SIGNED INTO LAW 6-15-07!!!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 8

Post by CWOOD »

jhutto wrote:Can someone post the text of this change in the travelling law?
Just for clarity, it is NOT a modification of the "traveling" portion of the law, except to take it back to its basic exception.

What HB1815 does is to actually modify PC 46.02 at the beginning so that the carrying as described above is not illegal...without regard to the "traveling" exception.

This is a MUCH stronger statement and it will be very difficult to be inventively interpreted by DA Rosenthal et al. They just used the previous "traveling exceptions" wording and made it an integral part of PC 46.02 rather than as a modification of "traveling".

To make this illegal, now, they would risk making carrying on your own property and law enforcement carry illegal as it now has equal weight in the code.

I am not an attorney and anything is possible, so I will await Chas's interpretation.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

I should point out that at minute 36:00 HB2112 passes under the same procedure.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Liberty wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Harris County residents need to remember this when he's up for re-election.

Chas.
Not a prob...We are still looking for someone to make a run on the job though...

Slim pickin's these days for a good conservative DA...

Any ideas???
Ya know who would be perfect, .... although he would claim not to be a crimminal lawyer... Think you guys in Harris County could talk him into it?
Yeah, that guy is a winner...The problem is I don't want to abuse a friendship like that by wasting them on that kind of a job! :lol:

Besides, he's much more fun to hang out with on the outside, looking in on stuff like this... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

CWOOD wrote:To make this illegal, now, they would risk making carrying on your own property and law enforcement carry illegal as it now has equal weight in the code.

I am not an attorney and anything is possible, so I will await Chas's interpretation.
I can't see anyway to throw rocks at this...I believe that's a good assessment...FWIW...

I'm sure we may see Chuck Rosenthal get some airtime on all of this in the next couple of weeks...Should be a hoot...

Seeings how he was all over this a couple of years ago (wagging his finger at every single one of you!)...I think its only fair that he be encouraged to fill back the hole he dug...Just so long as he is still in it...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

BTW, I take it HB233 died as well???

I dunno, I'm still checking...Dead bills sometimes don't leave tales...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

stevie_d_64 wrote:...Dead bills sometimes don't leave tales...
pssssssssssssssh!

*sound of coffee coming out mah nose*

GrillKing
Posts in topic: 5

Post by GrillKing »

stevie_d_64 wrote:BTW, I take it HB233 died as well???

Signed by the Gov today, Law after 1 Sept...

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

I noticed that 1815 went to the Governor on May 26 and he hasn't signed it yet. Is there any problem the Governor has with this bill? Personally I consider this one the most important of the year.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

I want the Governor to sign it, to show support to RKBA, but as long as he doesn't veto it, it will become law. It will become law tomorrow, effective 1 Sept, as long as it is not vetoed.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

Gov. Perry is in Turkey at the moment.

Sometimes he has a ceremony to sign bills in the presence of the sponsors and constituents. Otherwise, he'll just sign them when he has nothing better to do.

- Jim

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

GrillKing wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:BTW, I take it HB233 died as well???

Signed by the Gov today, Law after 1 Sept...
Really...Good deal...I thought it died...

You are da King!

Thanks...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

233 is signed, still waiting on 1815. But 1815 will become law with or without signature as long as it isn't vetoed.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

OK, I'm not sure 1815 becomes law tomorrow (if not signed), it may be 10 more days, depending on when the session ends. From the legislative website:

"Except in the case of a bill sent to the governor within 10 days of final adjournment, upon receiving a bill, the governor has 10 days in which to sign the bill, veto it, or allow it to become law without a signature. If the governor elects to veto the bill and the legislature is still in session, the bill is returned to the chamber in which it originated with an explanation of the governor’s objections. A two-thirds majority in each chamber is required to override the veto. If the governor neither vetoes nor signs the bill within the allotted time, the bill becomes a law. If a bill is sent to the governor within 10 days of final adjournment, the governor has until 20 days after final adjournment to sign the bill, veto it, or allow it to become law without a signature."

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

seamusTX wrote:Gov. Perry is a Turkey, at the moment.
daaaaang, Jim, that's just mean!!
:lol:

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”