Redefined traveling law

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tx glock guy
Posts in topic: 2

Redefined traveling law

Post by tx glock guy »

I read on another forum that the Harris county LEO's have been instructed to prosecute those actors found to have a concealed weapon in their vehicles even after the new law became effective Sept 1.

does anyone know if any Dallas metro area /DA offices have given the same direction to their LEO's?

Thanks.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Redefined traveling law

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

tx glock guy wrote:I read on another forum that the Harris county LEO's have been instructed to prosecute those actors found to have a concealed weapon in their vehicles even after the new law became effective Sept 1.

does anyone know if any Dallas metro area /DA offices have given the same direction to their LEO's?

Thanks.
Was there a cite to the source for the Harris County information? I'd be more than a little surprised if Rosenthal's office was so foolish to recommend this again, in light of the change in TPC §46.02. Any LEO following such advice is setting himself and his dept. up for a §1983 civil rights lawsuit. It's legally impossible to have probable cause for an arrest for doing that which isn't unlawful. Also, such an officer cannot be acting in "good faith" so that defense is also gone.

Chas.

Topic author
tx glock guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tx glock guy »

Seems there are no direct quotes made by any one connected to Harris county available from the other forum. I believe it was someone talking about an old post.

I can't find find any real support for this piece of hearsay. and after talking to a couple of LEO friends over in East Texas, I withdraw my comments.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Yes, that would be akin to arresting someone for criminal trespass when they were driving down a public highway.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”