Question about background check and criminal record.

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire


Topic author
Bpatton86
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Question about background check and criminal record.

Postby Bpatton86 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I recently finished my LTC course and have been working on the paperwork. I know for a fact I have been arrested 3 times. I did my finger prints to access my criminal record through do and they sent me back a letter saying I have no criminal record. That is from dps office in Austin. My next question is what the heck do I do now. I have been to all of the court houses and asked for records but nothing has came about of it. Please help.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Question about background check and criminal record.

Postby Flightmare » Sun May 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Arrest does not mean conviction. Convictions are the important part.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17403
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Question about background check and criminal record.

Postby Keith B » Sun May 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Bpatton86 wrote:I recently finished my LTC course and have been working on the paperwork. I know for a fact I have been arrested 3 times. I did my finger prints to access my criminal record through do and they sent me back a letter saying I have no criminal record. That is from dps office in Austin. My next question is what the heck do I do now. I have been to all of the court houses and asked for records but nothing has came about of it. Please help.


Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

You will need to list the arrests on your application and get a letter (letters) from the court clerks where the arrests occurred stating they have no record of it. That will cover documentation for the arrests you will need to send to DPS..
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17403
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Question about background check and criminal record.

Postby Keith B » Sun May 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Flightmare wrote:Arrest does not mean conviction. Convictions are the important part.


Not actually correct. If you were photographed and fingerprinted then there is a good possibility the arrest will show up on a detailed background check. DPS will need the disposition of the arrest/case.

Conviction only lays into eligibility depending on what it was and when.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4


marcotanquinobjj
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 am

Re: Question about background check and criminal record.

Postby marcotanquinobjj » Tue May 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Keith B is spot on. To avoid any headaches and to not delay the process, you will need to get official copies from the arresting counties stating they have no record of it. as well as provide the copy you have from the DPS. This will help steamline the process. 100% better to take the extra steps on the front end than to be frustrated and deal with them on the back end.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3640
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Question about background check and criminal record.

Postby ScottDLS » Tue May 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Keith B wrote:
Flightmare wrote:Arrest does not mean conviction. Convictions are the important part.


Not actually correct. If you were photographed and fingerprinted then there is a good possibility the arrest will show up on a detailed background check. DPS will need the disposition of the arrest/case.

Conviction only lays into eligibility depending on what it was and when.


Depends on when and where. I know someone who was arrested twice in the last twenty years and was never fingerprinted/photographed. He was out on OR/no-bond, both times. No conviction out of either arrest, and never came up on multiple CHL/LTC renewals.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


Return to “New to CHL?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests