The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Blindref757
Posts in topic: 8

Re: First Wife Protest

Post by Blindref757 »

Look What I Found!

http://www.biblecovers.com/ProductInfo. ... THER%20MP2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe this will help!!!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Oldgringo »

Blindref757 wrote:Look What I Found!

http://www.biblecovers.com/ProductInfo. ... THER%20MP2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe this will help!!!
How?

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ed4032 »

I am so very lucky. My wife always wants me to carry where ever we go. In fact she is carrying too. As the Bible says two are better than one.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...I carried a P97 in my Bible case for a looooooong time...never set my Bible case down...it'll work if you want it to...

Topic author
Blindref757
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Blindref757 »

Update...just a little bit over 2 yrs ago, I posted this within a couple of weeks of getting my plastic. Fast forward to current date. She has been with me to the range, she has started shopping for a gun, she is waiting on the new rules to kick in for getting her CHL, and she no longer protests, objects, or asks about if I'm carrying--she expects it. It took her some getting used to, and it didn't hurt that I got a Kahr CM9 that fits perfectly into a DeSantis pocket holster and conceals without printing and has no outward hardware.

Didn't have to trade her in! :thumbs2: I appreciate everyone who opined along the way! Many of you are great mentors to new CHL holders like myself. Thank You! :tiphat:

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

Blindref757 wrote:Update...just a little bit over 2 yrs ago, I posted this within a couple of weeks of getting my plastic. Fast forward to current date. She has been with me to the range, she has started shopping for a gun, she is waiting on the new rules to kick in for getting her CHL, and she no longer protests, objects, or asks about if I'm carrying--she expects it. It took her some getting used to, and it didn't hurt that I got a Kahr CM9 that fits perfectly into a DeSantis pocket holster and conceals without printing and has no outward hardware.

Didn't have to trade her in! :thumbs2: I appreciate everyone who opined along the way! Many of you are great mentors to new CHL holders like myself. Thank You! :tiphat:
:clapping: :tiphat: :thumbs2: :anamatedbanana :thewave

Love conquers all and covers a multitude of sins. Way to go.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

jayinsat wrote:
Blindref757 wrote:Update...just a little bit over 2 yrs ago, I posted this within a couple of weeks of getting my plastic. Fast forward to current date. She has been with me to the range, she has started shopping for a gun, she is waiting on the new rules to kick in for getting her CHL, and she no longer protests, objects, or asks about if I'm carrying--she expects it. It took her some getting used to, and it didn't hurt that I got a Kahr CM9 that fits perfectly into a DeSantis pocket holster and conceals without printing and has no outward hardware.

:clapping: :tiphat: :thumbs2: :anamatedbanana :thewave

Love conquers all and covers a multitude of sins. Way to go.
:iagree: People learn to be comfortable at their own rate. I'm glad that it has worked out for you. Thank you for taking the time to provide an update because it will likely help others who are going through the same situation. Patience and persistence can be a great help. :thumbs2:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

~30 years ago, my wife thought I was a poor provider, a lousy husband, a miserable father, irresponsible and a liar. When I got my pilots license, she not only wouldn't go in the airplane, she wouldn't even go to the airport. She begrudged every minute, and every dollar, I spent on amateur radio, and triathloning, If it weren't for complaining, she wouldn't talk to me at all.

15 years ago, my wife not only would go to the airport, she was a pilot herself, an excellent right-seater and navigator, loved to go places, thought she had the greatest husband in the world. She took up triathloning as well.

How did I pull that off, one asks?

I switched wives.

Expensive, but worth every penny! :lol:
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Blindref757 wrote:I've had my plastic for a couple of months now and the wife has not really cared too much either way. She supported me getting it, she doesn't think that money spent on guns and ammo are really in the budget, but she isn't anti-gun. She's made a few little jabs at me when I've put on my holster to go to eat or to wally world--but I thought it was just in fun.

Today we hit a wall when I started to head out to church with my gun in my holster. She really threw a fit...she didn't see any need to be armed in the house of the Lord. I didn't have the time or energy to argue...so I left it on the dresser.

Any tips on trying to get her to understand? I get it...I know we could have car trouble on the way, we could be in an accident with an enraged driver, and while highly unlikely, an active shooter could bust through the doors of the sanctuary. She is viewing my carrying as a "little man syndrome" (I'm 6-3/290) instead of preparedness for disaster.
There have been numerous church shootings, I would hope that would help.

Our church not only allows, and even ecourages, CHL; they held a a class at the church (that's where I took mine).

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

MY wife supports me in my new CHL life style but still doesnt understand it a lot. She thinks "we lived this long with out carrying".
She really cant stand the Size larger shirts part!!!! I just tell her it will shrink when we wash it! SOLUTION: I dont take her gun close shopping or to gun stores. She has a Ruger 9 MM but it no big deal to her.
PS: She shoots Wild Hogs that come up to the house with the Ruger Mini 14 .223!!!! :biggrinjester: "rlol"
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Cant believe it!!!??? :confused5 My wife just called me while im at lunch here at my desk & said Academy has AMMO for your gun. let go tonight & get a gun shirt too! She said she likes the last one I bought there afterr seeing me wear it. She's understanding the concept more now. Being on a budget I get gun stuff little by little. She like guns but there not a big deal to her. I can respect that. She also liked my Mass Ayoob safari Vest . :smilelol5:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

android

Post by android »

Explain that the Lord isn't all too keen on personally defending for his flock and that he's counting on armed humans to handle that.

There are several cases bad guys shooting people in churches and of armed good guys defending nuts trying to harm congregation. I think there have been two in Colorado in the last few years.

Google them up and show them to her, it may help change here mind.
Here's a few to get you started.

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-church-shoot ... 22483.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/12/10 ... -cops-say/

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/09/church.shooting/

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

deleted, didn't realize that I was reviving an ancient thread.

CHL_Padawan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHL_Padawan »

Since this topic came up again this week, I suppose it's time to join a forum like this one. This is my first post. I take my CHL 10 hour course tomorrow.

Earlier this week, I saw an article I believe about a woman shooting a gunman in a mega church in Texas -- basically being a heroine. My interest was to find out if she was cleared of any crime, because my understanding is that we are not to carry concealed or open in a church in Texas. Are we allowed or not?

Texas Concealed Handgun Laws
PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER 2011-2012 (page 38 or 44)
(b) A license holder commits an of fense [sic] if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

I assume the Original Poster of this topic is in Texas (only because this is the Texas CHL forum, but that may not be the case) and that premises allows the parking lot, but not inside the sanctuary.

@ScooterSissy,
Our church not only allows, and even ecourages, CHL; they held a a class at the church (that's where I took mine).
It seems like the main benefit is if CHL holders were able to carry inside the sanctuary. Or the woman would not have been able to save the congregation from the gunman. What exactly is your church allowing and can they legally do so?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

CHL_Padawan wrote:Since this topic came up again this week, I suppose it's time to join a forum like this one. This is my first post. I take my CHL 10 hour course tomorrow.

Earlier this week, I saw an article I believe about a woman shooting a gunman in a mega church in Texas -- basically being a heroine. My interest was to find out if she was cleared of any crime, because my understanding is that we are not to carry concealed or open in a church in Texas. Are we allowed or not?

Texas Concealed Handgun Laws
PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER 2011-2012 (page 38 or 44)
(b) A license holder commits an of fense [sic] if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

I assume the Original Poster of this topic is in Texas (only because this is the Texas CHL forum, but that may not be the case) and that premises allows the parking lot, but not inside the sanctuary.

@ScooterSissy,
It seems like the main benefit is if CHL holders were able to carry inside the sanctuary. Or the woman would not have been able to save the congregation from the gunman. What exactly is your church allowing and can they legally do so?
It's a common mistake to stop reading after paragraph (b)(6). Keep reading on down until you read paragraph (i), which says:
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
:tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “New to CHL?”