Carry pains

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
TxFire
Posts in topic: 7

Carry pains

Post by TxFire »

OK guys and gals, I've been carrying for a few weeks now and am having my first issue. I carry my Glock 23 IWB at 3:30-4:00 in a C-TAC most of the time. Lately after an hour or so I begin having pain in my left and right flank waist band area radiating to my lower back. Now I think I have added a couple of pounds since Feb. due to cutting back on running/working out post Marathon, but I wonder if this might be belt related. I wear a double thick 1 1/4" wide belt that I found at a local gun show. I just wonder if it is not supportive enough and might be the root of all this. I know wearing a gun is supposed to comforting not comfortable, but I think this can be fixed. Any ideas??

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bauerdj »

It could be the belt, I prefer a 1 1/2 wide if the loops will take it, then again anything that changes how you stand and/or walk even slightly could cause the symptoms you described. I would expierament with the exact placemnet of where you wear the holster, changing position very slightly can cause a big difference. If changing position or belt doesn't help you will have to try various holsters. I have personally found Fobus paddle holsters to be very comfortable if worn in the right spot. Cheap too! :lol:

Dave B.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Try to take your wallet out when sit down - I have a small license/card holder and keep cash and that in my front pocket.

tighten up the belt, and maybe try thicker belt. I've been carrying my 3" kimber regularly (read daily) OWB at around 4 o clock, and have not had probs with a tight belt.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TxFire:
I had the exact same thing happed to me, except that it was on the right side only. It started within a month or so of using a new IWB holster and I discussed it with my doctor during my annual physical.

My doctor didn't have a definitive answer, but he thought it might be caused by the muzzle portion of the holster pushing on a nerve. (I was carrying a 4 3/4" Commander in a leather IWB.) He said to use only an OWB for a couple of weeks and that seemed to do the trick. After that, I went back to the same holster and gun with no problems. I could see where a Kyden IWB could easily cause the same problem.

Chas.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

My first thought was your belt. 1.25" is really narrow. The wider the belt, the less likely it is to sag.
I've also found that even with a really good fitting and stiff belt, your pants and the location of the belt loops as opposed to the clips on your c-tac make a difference as well.
I'd try Chas' idea by going to an OWB setup for a bit and see if it helps. If not, you may just have to experiment with different belts and/or holster location.

Topic author
TxFire

Post by TxFire »

Thanks for the responses guys. I have moved the C-Tac around a little and the 3:30-4:00 seems the best for comfort. Additionally, this is most prevelant when standing, sitting is actually pretty comfy with this set up. I think maybe the thin (width) belt is sagging and not supporting the weight. It also seems that I need a notch in between on the belt. I did where my OWB very briefly this evening prior to disarming at my Dad's to play with my nieces and I still had some pain/discomfort. Though it could have carried over from my day of shopping with the wife with the IWB set up. I am just still not really comfy with the OWB for concealment, although for comfort it is nice.

I was considering a Wilderness Instructors belt as I have heard good things about them. I would likely step up to 1-1/2". Any reviews of this beltfor very casual wear? They appear to be very adjustable.

Thanks again guys, all resonses are appreciated.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

tx, you may also try to move your c-tac to 3:00. HV has a good word there. I carry a Govt model 1911 Springer A1 in c-tac. carry it at 3:00 & have no prob's. If I go to 3:30 it starts pinching my rear when I sit down. Not your prob by a long shot but 3:00 takes care of it. Might do yours too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I found that I cannot carry IWB for the same reasons. Back surgury a few years ago I suspect is the cause for me. However, a good belt is a must no mater how you carry (unless boot or shoulder)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:TxFire:
I had the exact same thing happed to me, except that it was on the right side only. It started within a month or so of using a new IWB holster and I discussed it with my doctor during my annual physical.

My doctor didn't have a definitive answer, but he thought it might be caused by the muzzle portion of the holster pushing on a nerve.
Chas.

I agree with this assessment. It is easy to trigger a reaction of the Sciatic Nerve when you consider its location.

A constant pressure in this area, even if light..could make a person quite miserable. It doesn't take much pressure to get a response. In the martial arts this is a common "pressure point" target area.

The Sciatic nerve runs from the lower back, through the buttocks, and along the posterior of the thigh. Exactly where you're putting the pressure.

A slight adjustment of the weapon, or a more "form fitting" holster might be the answer.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I'm gonna try the Galco OWB set up today and see how it goes. I had considered the Sciatic Nerve issue also, we'll see what happens today.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TxFire wrote:I'm gonna try the Galco OWB set up today and see how it goes. I had considered the Sciatic Nerve issue also, we'll see what happens today.
It took the better part of 10 days to 2 weeks of OWB use before the pain went away completely, allowing me to go back to IWB. I hope it works for you, but if it is a nerve irritation, it may not go away in a day or two.

Chas.

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

TxFire wrote:I was considering a Wilderness Instructors belt as I have heard good things about them. I would likely step up to 1-1/2". Any reviews of this beltfor very casual wear? They appear to be very adjustable.

Thanks again guys, all resonses are appreciated.
Go with a Wilderness 1 1/2" 5-stitch, regular buckle, and do not look back. Highly recommended.

Topic author
TxFire

Post by TxFire »

What a coincidence, I ordered that very belt this morning in Coyote Tan. :grin:

Topic author
TxFire

Post by TxFire »

Also to update, I have used my Galco OWB set-up exclusively this week with no issues. I think another issue to the problem is needing a little more waist room ing my pairs of shorts for the IWB. I think the waist band on my shorts is digging in a little. So it's time for some summer wardrobe updates. I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING, especially if I have to try stuff on!!!!

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Just got around to reading this, glad you seem to have things figured out.

After I hit the deer on my Harley back in April of 2003, they had to take bone from my right hip to do a bone graft to my badly damaged right leg. As a result, I am not able to wear an IWB holster. I tried a lot of them, spent a lot of bucks just trying to make it work. Nothing did.

Switched to OWB high rise pancake, no problems. I now use GALCO holsters on everything, the Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glocks and S&W 357 revolvers. Cross draw works pretty good, too.

Return to “New to CHL?”