1911 9mm or 38 super

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

1911 9mm or 38 super

Post by carlson1 »

I have just traded for a Colt Commander. It has the 9mm/38 super. For health reason there are days that I do not enjoy the .45. Can anyone give me some pros and cons with the 9mm verses the 38 super for self defense?

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I don't think the 38 Super is a great choice for a defensive weapon. Ammo is many times more expensive than 9mm and choices are very limited.
Get some 9mm 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot and call it a day.

For more detailed differences read this:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38SuperTo9mm.htm

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

If you were able to get the same level of research into bullet development for both of them, I bet the .38Super would be a better choice due to its higher velocity. But 9mm has all of the money. So go with the better bullet and less expensive option in 9mm.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

HighVelocity wrote:I don't think the 38 Super is a great choice for a defensive weapon. Ammo is many times more expensive than 9mm and choices are very limited.
Get some 9mm 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot and call it a day.

For more detailed differences read this:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38SuperTo9mm.htm
Excellent ariticle! Thanks. I am still learning about this 38 super.

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

I'm starting to think that I NEED one.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I will post a picture of this Commander latter. I am on my way to shoot it. I will let you know. It sure is a depressing thing to have to go from the God given .45 to the heathenistic 9mm. :razz:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

My friend I really do understand & have had to make some adjustments on training in the last two yrs. I am afraid I am not far behind you on caliber downsizing. My hands are really starting to give trouble. Hope all is well w/ your new tool. I refuse to call them the 3 letter t-word. :lol:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I really shouldn't post this, but I'm going to do it anyway. Carlson1, a 9X23 pushes a 125gr. bullet around 1450 fps pretty easily and without a ramped barrel, if you use 9X23 brass. These are ballistics equal to the much vaunted .357 Mag, 125 gr. JHP.

I have a Springfield .38 Super and I've shot 9X23 in it without any problems. Accuracy is also good. That said, there are an equal number of people who say not to shoot 9X23 in a .38 Super barrel.

If you're interested, take a look at the 9X23 Section of http://www.pistolsmith.com There is some good information on this cartridge. Note: 9X23 if offered in very limited variety in factory ammo, so it too is more of a handloader's cartridge.

Chas.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I really shouldn't post this, but I'm going to do it anyway. Carlson1, a 9X23 pushes a 125gr. bullet around 1450 fps pretty easily and without a ramped barrel, if you use 9X23 brass. These are ballistics equal to the much vaunted .357 Mag, 125 gr. JHP.

I have a Springfield .38 Super and I've shot 9X23 in it without any problems. Accuracy is also good. That said, there are an equal number of people who say not to shoot 9X23 in a .38 Super barrel.

If you're interested, take a look at the 9X23 Section of http://www.pistolsmith.com There is some good information on this cartridge. Note: 9X23 if offered in very limited variety in factory ammo, so it too is more of a handloader's cartridge.

Chas.
Thanks for the information. This pistol has separate barrels and bushings. I am just having trouble deciding which one to use. Longtooth let me know what you think of the grips and if you like them.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Here She Is. . .
Novak standard sights (Novak cut dovetails front and rear with white front)
Wilson Combat beavertail grip safety
Wilson wide pedal Ambi-thumb safety
Wilson extended mag release
Wilson extended slide release
Videcki trigger
Front cocking serrations
Fitted barrel/bushing
Smith & Alexander mag well
Smith & Alexander grip panels
Grip enhancement on front strap
Trigger tuned to 2 pounds
All work done by Top Gun in Houston.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I like that, how did it shoot?
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Went to range and got a phone call and had to leave :sad: I will not get a chance to shoot now until Thursday or Friday, but I will let you know.

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Just my two cents. I have been under the impression that you want a slower, heavier bullet for self defense. Lessening the amount of penetration, and thus limiting collateral damage (hitting an innocent behind the BG) as much as you can. If the 38 super is truly a higher velocity round, what I've been taught says to go with the 9mm for self defense. Don't know much about ballistics, but it makes sense to me.

Can someone with a better background in ballistics let me know if this thinking is correct?

Still learning,

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Hoss:
The big-and-slow v. small-and-fast debate will go on as long as firearms are carried for self-defense. That debate centers on the effectiveness of the round, more so than over-penetration.

As for over-penetration, 9mm FMJ's have a reputation for over-penetrating, but I'm not at all sure it's deserved. However, one of the benefits of a good hollow point round is a decreased chance of penetrating the target. A good 9mm JHP round isn't likely to fully penetrate a target, assuming you get a solid hit, i.e. not what the old western movies called "a flesh wound." Stephen Camp's excellent web site has some good reports, tests and photos of various ammo, including hollow points.

Which side of the debate to I fall on? .45 ACP of course! :thumbsup: But I have to say, Carlson1's .38 Super sure has me thinking about a 9X23 Commander for a "summer gun."

Chas.

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Didn't realize it was such a great debate. Thanks for the info. I'll have to follow up with some study of the matter. I also fall on the side of the 45 ACP hollow-point. (USP)

Thanks Mr. Cotton,

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Return to “New to CHL?”