Disarming/Rearming

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
tgt_usa
Posts in topic: 1

Disarming/Rearming

Post by tgt_usa »

BACKGROUND: My employer has a policy prohibiting CCW on company premises. For 2 1/2 years I've been working from home. In that time I became accustomed to having my sidearm in a holster on my person all waking hours. Recently we bought a small company here in town, so we have an office again. My boss, who favored me working from home, has resigned. His boss is leaving the department. I've been going into the office two days each week for a couple weeks now. And that may increase once my bosses are replaced. Whenever I know I'll have to disarm, I have a fannypack holster I've used because it makes for ease of discretely disarming/re-arming. However, because it's awkward to wear sitting, it's easy to take it off and leave it off. I have nightmare thoughts about leaving it where my son could find it.

QUESTION: Any better ideas for a protocol that would allow me to discretely disarm when I arrive at work; but has some built-in reminder to re-arm when I get back in my car? The holsters I've used the last couple of years make it easy to draw, but difficult and obvious to re-holster. So holster recommendations are welcome.

TIA
"I would rather be exposed to the in-conveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson, 3rd US president

too-tall

Post by too-tall »

Hello tgt_usa

I have found that an inside the waist band holster works well for me. Very easy to remove. A little harder to put back on. Also you might try one of those "day planner" holsters.

Too Tall

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Try a paddle holster several really good ones out there. I like the CompTac made in Houston. What gun are you carrying and how acessable do you want it to be? Also, what is your work attire. All this makes a difference. I carry a S&W 3913 in a Don Hume first agent holster with the gun out the holster is hardly noticeable.

The secret to carrying concealed is to dress around your gun not to try to hide your gun in your attire.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

My entire holster comes off when I disarm even though the kydex allows quick and easy on/off (I use belt clips, not a thread-through holster). I like the fact that the holster protects the trigger (and any other mechanical interrupts to discharge). This became a firm rule with me the last time I just slid the firearm out for a quickie into the bank. As I placed it in my center armrest console, the muzzle was pointing directly at my six year old daughter who happened to be with me on this trip. That was not a good feeling and enough for me to adopt this new personaly safety rule.

I don't need a reminder to rearm when entering the vehicle. Do you need a reminder to get dressed in the morning?

As for being discrete in public parking areas, I have two suggestions. First, observe other people inside their cars when you are in a parking lot. Can you even see to their waistband? If you could, would you be looking that closely as you go to/from your car? Second, when you arm/disarm, take a look 360 around your vehicle for anyone close enough to see what's going on. Then prepare the cover garment, belt or whatever and make the exchange as quickly as possible.

Hope this helps.

Double Naught Spy

Post by Double Naught Spy »

My built in reminder to re-arm stems from the fact that I leave my car key attached to my holster (that holds my pistol) that is safely stowed in my briefcase. Having the key with the gun means that I remember to not just rearm, but I keep from leaving work without taking my gun with me.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

While I generally avoid going into places where carry is prohibited, an ankle holster often works for me (sometimes in more ways than one :wink: ). Pretty easy to get off and on in vehicle, while keeping out of sight.

While it can be a PIA (especially in the dark), internal locks in newer revolvers can disable while left in vehicle.

LarryArnold

Post by LarryArnold »

Last time I was in this situation it was a "casual business attire" sort of place, i.e. dress shirt tucked in but no coat or tie. I carried in a Confidant shirt from Kramer Leather and secured my handgun in my console while I was inside.

The Confidant was comfortable, very discreet, and lasted through four or five years of every-business-day wear.

It helps if you can use a sewing machine well enough to fit the elastic holster to your firearm. (Or know someone who can.)

Bubba
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bubba »

Years ago (before CHL) while off duty from SO and in plain clothes, I was using a nylon shoulder holster (Uncle Mike's) to carry a Browning HP inside
a crowded resturant during the day. It was a bad part of the city at night or as I would say "a 2 gun neighborhood after dark" but usually not too rough when the sun was out. The snap on the horizontal shoulder holster got bumped while handling a baby and I spilled my 9mm Browning out onto the floor for all to see. I was VERY embarrasing at least. My badge was clipped on the shoulder strap near the holster, so if that was seen, so would the badge. This concept worked well for many of us even though the department policy was to keep concealed while off duty or in plain clothes. Years later while on helicopter duty, I purchased a better quality nylon shoulder holster and NEVER had any such problem. Most of the time these days, I use a leather thread thru type belt holster.
The funny part about dropping my pistol in the resturant years ago was that
nobody seemed to care. No questions, no comments and the local PD never showed up to ID me. Maybe none of the flaming liberals ate there ! :)

CaptDave
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CaptDave »

As was suggested a few post's back, the paddle holster works well in this situation. I use one alot and can vouch that they are very easy to remove and replace while sitting in your vehicle. If you find the paddle a little uncomfortable while driving long distances, it's no problem to remove it to your console or glove box and put it on before you exit the vehicle.
I use a Fobus. They're made in Israel out of Kydex material, have a snug fit and made for most popular model pistols. They may not not be flashy but they are priced right - about $19.00, so if you try it and don't like it, you're not out too much money. (I have an Uncle Mikes belt style made out of Kydex, but I would not suggest that model to anyone due to the fact that I'm not satisfied with it's retention screws-they keep loosening up on me. So even though not satisfied I'm only out about about $20.00 on that P.O.S.
Fobus also makes paddle style single and double mag holders that are just as easy to remove and replace as well.
Hope this helped.
"An armed society is a polite society"

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I have a couple of Uncle Mike's kydex holsters, including a left-handed one for a Glock, which I like better than the Fobus holsters precisely because the retention screws are adjustable, which the Fobus holsters are not. A bit of Loctite on the retention screws, once they are adjusted, should fix any problems with the screws coming loose.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Please don't take this as an attack on anyone, we all have to make decisions based on our circumstances. I just would like to understand why we tend to go out an pay a lot of money on a good firearm, spare magazines, and ammunitions, then try to economize on the equipement we use to carry it as a means of protection. I have found that my holster is critical to comfort (no telegraphing), dependable presentation ( I have seen some very scary things at matches by people using inexpensive holsters) and protection of the firearm. Personal opinion...I feel that this is not an area where we should economize...get the best.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Please don't take this as a counter-attack. However:
Economize? - Tell that to the expensive leather holsters in my closet.
For the H&K USP's, especially the compact, I've found the Kydex holsters seem to work the best. That's why the foray into the Uncle Mike's (thanks for the tip Lindy, I'll try that).
I wouldn't call the Bladetech I use for my full size USP "economical" however, and it is a very nice holster.
As I said above, in trying out the Kydex Fobus, just because it doesn't cost alot, doesn't mean it doesn't get the job done - Kydex is good stuff.
For lots of on and off wear it's not a "bad" choice.
And, if he doesn't like it,- it won't be so bad when he see's it in the old holster box in the closet!
"An armed society is a polite society"

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

CaptDave - No offence taken. I too use Kydex and really appreciate it, especially in the summer. The question was intended as a general question about where we economize in our shooting. I believe, if you are going to carry a firearm, you should get the best holster you can afford. I have seen some inexpensive holsters work reasonably well, and have seen some that work really poorly. Given a choice between a Fobus or a Kydex paddle holster from Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac, I'll take either of the latter as they are made from better material and have some adjustability.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

SRVA wrote:Please don't take this as an attack on anyone, we all have to make decisions based on our circumstances. I just would like to understand why we tend to go out an pay a lot of money on a good firearm, spare magazines, and ammunitions, then try to economize on the equipement we use to carry it as a means of protection. I have found that my holster is critical to comfort (no telegraphing), dependable presentation ( I have seen some very scary things at matches by people using inexpensive holsters) and protection of the firearm. Personal opinion...I feel that this is not an area where we should economize...get the best.
Good point, not an "attack" at all. Why buy a racecar then put cheap gas in it :)

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

SRVA wrote:CaptDave - snip.. use Kydex and really appreciate it, especially in the summer..
Thanks for the tip. I've never used a paddle holster or Kydex either one but will consider it in the future. I'm old fashoned and like leather. The best holster I have for my 1911 is a leather belt holster and was free thanks to RATMAN. Just about anything after 8 to 10 hours of wear starts getting uncomfortable, even the seatbelt on a long drive, but if it can save your life, it's worth it !

Return to “New to CHL?”