Signs for the CHLer

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Signs for the CHLer

Post by MeMelYup »

C-dub wrote:What is the Texas Concealed Weapons Act anyway?
It's the law that was passed making concealed carry legal in the State of Texas.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 13

Post by C-dub »

MeMelYup wrote:
It's the law that was passed making concealed carry legal in the State of Texas.
Darn it, I forgot the little winking smilie. Sorry.

And I'm glad I didn't miss some other law named concealed weapons act. We've had this for 20 years now. You'd think they'd get a clue as to what it is called.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

C-dub wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Darn it, I forgot the little winking smilie. Sorry.

And I'm glad I didn't miss some other law named concealed weapons act. We've had this for 20 years now. You'd think they'd get a clue as to what it is called.
Actually it is called "The Concealed Handgun Licensing Act."

JKTex
Posts in topic: 21

Post by JKTex »

Can someone point to where those terms are used? :rules:

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

JKTex wrote:Can someone point to where those terms are used? :rules:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/GV/4/B/411/H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ACT is when they are making it a law.

Freedommachine
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Freedommachine »

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead lol but I am curious about 30.07. Does the sign have to be posted? A friend of mine told me his job does not have it posted and instead security has been instructed to give a flyer with the 30.07 verbiage on it and to instruct the person to go outside and conceal their firearm. I understand they have the right to ask you to leave if they don't want you carrying in their business but is this incorrect usage of the 30.07? :headscratch

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

Freedommachine wrote:Hate to bring this thread back from the dead lol but I am curious about 30.07. Does the sign have to be posted? A friend of mine told me his job does not have it posted and instead security has been instructed to give a flyer with the 30.07 verbiage on it and to instruct the person to go outside and conceal their firearm. I understand they have the right to ask you to leave if they don't want you carrying in their business but is this incorrect usage of the 30.07? :headscratch
Handing out a flyer is perfectly acceptable:
PC §30.07 wrote:PC §30.07. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH AN OPENLY CARRIED HANDGUN.
Text of section effective on Jan. 1, 2016
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1) openly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder openly carrying a handgun was forbidden.
(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c) In this section:
(1) “Entry” has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
(2) “License holder” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
(3) “Written communication” means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly”;
or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pawpaw wrote:
Freedommachine wrote:Hate to bring this thread back from the dead lol but I am curious about 30.07. Does the sign have to be posted? A friend of mine told me his job does not have it posted and instead security has been instructed to give a flyer with the 30.07 verbiage on it and to instruct the person to go outside and conceal their firearm. I understand they have the right to ask you to leave if they don't want you carrying in their business but is this incorrect usage of the 30.07? :headscratch
Handing out a flyer is perfectly acceptable:
PC §30.07 wrote:PC §30.07. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH AN OPENLY CARRIED HANDGUN.
Text of section effective on Jan. 1, 2016
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1) openly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder openly carrying a handgun was forbidden.
(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c) In this section:
(1) “Entry” has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
(2) “License holder” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
(3) “Written communication” means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly”;
or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.
Not acceptable if the patron doesn't take the flyer. Maybe I have been to Vegas one time too many, but I generally do not take unsolicited things that people are trying to hand me. For OC, this doesn't really matter as they would just tell you to leave jupon seeing a gun, but if it were 30.06 it would matter.

Freedommachine

Post by Freedommachine »

Thanks guys, I was just curious as it seems counter intuitive to not just post the sign at the door so they don't even come in the building.

AnglinTexas

Post by AnglinTexas »

Freedommachine wrote:Thanks guys, I was just curious as it seems counter intuitive to not just post the sign at the door so they don't even come in the building.
The proper signs take up a lot of space, and cost more than flyers. It makes more sense for many to just use the flyer or verbal notification method. It might be different if the vast majority of LTC holders were open carrying.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Unless it was some place I had to go (like a hospital), if they handed me a flyer, I would think they didn't want my business. If they utilized a sign I would see it before I entered and could prepare.

Freedommachine

Post by Freedommachine »

MeMelYup wrote:Unless it was some place I had to go (like a hospital), if they handed me a flyer, I would think they didn't want my business. If they utilized a sign I would see it before I entered and could prepare.
My point exactly.

shooter_tx

Post by shooter_tx »

pbwalker wrote:There seems to be quite a bit of confusion around the signs.

YES YOU CAN CARRY - This is a "Gunbusters" sign...ignore it.

NO YOU CANNOT CARRY This is a .30-06 Sign. Don't ignore it.

YES YOU CAN CARRY - This is a TABC sign. Just read the text...The Unlicensed Possession.... Heck, even Wal-Mart has these signs.

NO YOU CANNOT CARRY - TABC 51% Sign. Don't ignore it.

YES YOU CAN CARRY - Old, incorrect verbiage (4413).

YES YOU CAN CARRY - Old PC (30.05)
A lot of the image links in the OP are broken, but more importantly (to my mind)... have we made any more headway on staving off inappropriate/misleading postings (such as governmental entities posting 30.06 or 30.07)?

If not, then what are the prospects of this in the 2017 lege session?
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual...as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - [Former] TX State Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (R)

Brick
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Brick »

Hi. New to the forum. Have enjoyed reading various posts and decided to join. If I see signs prohibiting carry, whether to the letter of the law or not, I do not carry into that establishment. I don't think it's worth the hassle. I believe that property owners should have the right to prohibit whatever they want, correct signage or not. I try not to frequent such places because legally carrying where I am welcome is important to me.

doncb

Post by doncb »

Brick wrote:If I see signs prohibiting carry, whether to the letter of the law or not, I do not carry into that establishment. I don't think it's worth the hassle. I believe that property owners should have the right to prohibit whatever they want, correct signage or not.
See, that's the problem. We follow the law and they don't. I believe in property rights too, but businesses should have to follow the letter of the law just as we do. Would I carry past a sign like at Whole Foods that blatently doesn't follow the law? Absolutely. The 30.06 / .07 sign requirements were written into law for a reason. As I said in another post, if I carry past a Whole Foods type sign, I'm not breaking the law but they are.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Return to “New to CHL?”