Signs for the CHLer

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Signs for the CHLer

Post by joe817 »

UpTheIrons, IMO no. The contrasting colors does not necessarily define the sign as non compliant....

The wording of the sign does. "Article 4413 (29ee)" is not in the current Statutes...therefore obsolete and not enforceable.

Yes...you CAN be arrested and be handcuffed and be taken in a police car to the jail, photographed, booked and processed in, but if you have an attorney(with money spent) you will get the case dismissed.....if you want to go that route. :tiphat:

{all of the above assumes you wish to conceal carry past that sign}
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

muleman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by muleman »

Going to jail sux no matter why you are there!

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by pbwalker »

joe817 wrote:The wording of the sign does.
Exactly...

Concealed means concealed...I'd carry right past that sign.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

dicion
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dicion »

He was talking about 2 different signs.

He mentioned that the first one (the pictured one) is non-compliant due to wording.

The second one (no picture) he said was compliant every other way, but had certain contrasting colors for certain words.
I would say that the contrasting colors would not invalidate the sign, as long as they were still clearly readable.

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 5

Post by UpTheIrons »

dicion wrote:He was talking about 2 different signs.

He mentioned that the first one (the pictured one) is non-compliant due to wording.

The second one (no picture) he said was compliant every other way, but had certain contrasting colors for certain words.
I would say that the contrasting colors would not invalidate the sign, as long as they were still clearly readable.
Correct. Sign one (pictured) has non-compliant wording and non-compliant letters making up the wording. Which I found to be odd, as the doors are new.

Sign two (no picture) was compliant as to wording and letter type, but certain words were in another color. As they were all visible, I am assuming (like most of you) that this sign is compliant. If anyone is near Breckenridge hospital in Austin, these are the doors under the skybridge from the parking garage that's on Red River and 15th.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Another sign to add would be the correct 30.06 sign in English with no Spanish. It is my understanding that this sign is not compliant and you may carry past it.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

i finally saw a 51% sign. my wife dragged me to go to one of her friend's bday party. i knew we were going to a bar. so i didn't even bother to bring my piece. plus had 5 glasses of long island ice tea! yeah! I felt naked though!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Justin Franklin

Post by Justin Franklin »

joe817 wrote:UpTheIrons, IMO no. The contrasting colors does not necessarily define the sign as non compliant....

The wording of the sign does. "Article 4413 (29ee)" is not in the current Statutes...therefore obsolete and not enforceable.

Yes...you CAN be arrested and be handcuffed and be taken in a police car to the jail, photographed, booked and processed in, but if you have an attorney(with money spent) you will get the case dismissed.....if you want to go that route. :tiphat:

{all of the above assumes you wish to conceal carry past that sign}
Totally agree! You may beat the rap, but you're not gonna beat the ride! However, if you are willing to go to court and establish "case law" for the rest of us, I will recommend a good attorney.
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jester

Post by jester »

Justin CHL wrote:Totally agree! You may beat the rap, but you're not gonna beat the ride!
You can beat the ride if you obey the law and keep it concealed.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Justin Franklin

jester wrote:
Justin CHL wrote:Totally agree! You may beat the rap, but you're not gonna beat the ride!
You can beat the ride if you obey the law and keep it concealed.
I agree one hundred percent!
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

I have seen too many 51% signs posted in the wrong place almost every where. Mostly behind the bar or next to the men's restrooms. I have asked about them when I can find a manager and most don't have a clue what to do with them.
My brother N law and I educated on manager at BJ's here in Houston and he was not a 51% place. He took them down and put the Unlicensed warning on the door. The same thing at the Toyota Dealer where I bought my Xb. No clue. They just put them up anywhere.
:headscratch
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

A-R

Post by A-R »

joe817 wrote:The wording of the sign does. "Article 4413 (29ee)" is not in the current Statutes...therefore obsolete and not enforceable.
The DPS attorney at the most recent instructor class said clearly in answer to a direct question about this "old wording" that such signs are in fact "effective notice" and "enforceable" and carrying past such signs is illegal.

I happen to disagree with her legal opinion, but thought I'd share it with the rest of you so you can make your own judgments.

As far as I'm concerned, if I have to go learn the new laws every few years and be recertified/re-licensed to carry, then the property owners are under the same obligation to learn about changes to the law and adjust their signs accordingly. Turn this all around and it would be like a CHLee walking past a new 30.06 sign and saying "but I thought only the "Article 4413 (29ee)" sign was valid because that's what I learned in my first CHL class. What's good for the goose ....

W42

Post by W42 »

legal? at Seton Hospital off 38th in Austin, TX

Online Application Submitted 6/5/2010
Class Taken 6/29/2010
FAST Prints Taken 7/1/2010
Packet dropped off to Licensing office on 7/1/2010
Plastic in hand 7/30/2010

Justin Franklin

Clearly does not conform to the 30.06 statute. 46.035 (i) would be your defense.

However, I would say the property owner's message is clear. One way to avoid any problems……KEEP IT CONCEALED! If you keep it concealed, you should never have an issue.

Southeast Texas CHL

W42

Post by W42 »

understood. just got my plastic yesterday and we were in there the day before. ive found myself looking for signs all over and saw that when we had to take a family member to the emergency room.
Online Application Submitted 6/5/2010
Class Taken 6/29/2010
FAST Prints Taken 7/1/2010
Packet dropped off to Licensing office on 7/1/2010
Plastic in hand 7/30/2010

Return to “New to CHL?”