License Mix-up

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mec
Posts in topic: 5

License Mix-up

Post by mec »

Several months ago, a guy was buying a gun at Praco Pawn and Gun in Waco. He whipped out his CHL to jump past the insta check. The clerk looked at it and said, " This isn't your picture."

" No it's not. That's why I carry THIS!" He produces a letter that reads, in effect:
" I am a concealed handgun instructor. I mixed up the other picture with the other application and this is the wrong picture on the license. It's ok though. My mistake."
Signed
------------ DPS Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor

That makes two guys out there running around with bogus licenses from this instructor.

Anybody else run into a wierd instructor situation?

Lindy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lindy »

Well, if I were him, I'd call the DPS in Austin, talk to the CHL section, and do whatever was necessary to get that problem fixed, which should, since they have the original pictures, just be a case of getting a new license issued matched up with the correct picture.

People make mistakes. Mistakes, at least those which are not immediately fatal, which this one is not, can be corrected.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

I suspect that's what the guy eventually did. It would have been nice and made quite a bit of sense if the instructor had contacted the CHL division instead of writing that note.

LarryArnold

I doubt CHLS would be amused

Post by LarryArnold »

1. The person taking the fingerprints is supposed to compare one of the photos with a photo ID and with the student's face and sign the photo certifying that all three match. I kinda think CHLS isn't going to be "amused" at this little booboo.
  2. I also doubt a LEO is going to buy this dog-ate-my-homework routine, particularly on a traffic stop, etc.
  3. The student is ultimately responsible for sending in his or her own paperwork. I'd wonder if a student who didn't bother to check over the app should even have a CHL.

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

All very good points. It's pretty clear that the applicant is totally responsible for all aspects of the process as well as all points of law regardless of whether his instructor was living on the planet or not. This particular instructor is definately from outer space but he doesn't have a sign around his neck announcing the fact.

I suspect that's why the applicant signs an affidavit that he has read and understands all the pertenate law.

rachilders

Post by rachilders »

What surprises me is, do the license holder & the instructor really think a letter saying "Oops, we made a boo boo" will be accepted by any sane FFL/gun dealer? Also, try showing the letter to a LEO and see how far you get. Would they accept a driver license with someone elses picture on it? Anyone can type a letter and say anything they want on it, the paper isn't going to complain! What's as big a surprise is that someone hasn't reported them to Austin yet. :o

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

Maybe they got it straightened out. It's been several months and the boy is still an instructor. Only 51 or so had been removed by DPS at last report and he doesn't seem to be one of them.

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

Instructor is reported no longer to be active. He got into a fight while intoxicated (and lost) and they caught up with him.

Return to “New to CHL?”