The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
OnceFired
Posts in topic: 2

Several months into CCW

Post by OnceFired »

Hey all

Just thought I'd post a bit of an update. Got my CCW back in September, and fairly quickly got over the anxiousness I felt when carrying. I thought I'd report on that progress.

First, I had made it a habit to carry daily. Not IN work mind you, but in the car up until work. That was what gave me plenty of experience in a short period of time. I wasn't only carrying when I felt I had to. I was doing it daily because I wanted to be continually prepared.

Two things came out of this:
1) I am even more safety minded (carrying daily ingrained even deeper discipline)
2) My wife became accustomed to it

Safety is always crucial, but frankly #2 is the bigger benefit. My wife is no longer "nervous" about me having my CCW. She only knew it was there because I would lock it in the car when we were at destinations which would not allow possession. She stopped asking if I had it with me, too. She doesn't really realize it fully, but it's pretty clear she is now relying on me having it. ;)

ZA
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

RX8er
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Several months into CCW

Post by RX8er »

ZombieApoc wrote: Not IN work mind you, but in the car up until work.
:headscratch I must have missed it, why not carry at work?

Glad to hear all is going well. :thumbs2:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

ZombieApoc wrote:...but it's pretty clear she is now relying on me having it. ..
Now she needs one. Wife and I both daily carry.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

ArmedAndPolite

Post by ArmedAndPolite »

Funny how you can go from nervous to comfortable in a matter of days.

I've had my CHL for about 2 months now. At first I carried around the house to get used to the feeling. I stood in front of mirrors to make sure I was not printing and carried when friends came over and no one ever noticed. My first few public carries I did not not have one chambered because I was still getting comfortable with carrying. After a week or so I felt comfortable enough to chamber a round and now I feel more comfortable with a round chambered. Still getting used to making sure my shirt doesn't ride on my holster and I still need to order a nice carry belt but so far everything is great. Sometimes I forget I have it on me. Currently using a Remora reinforced holster and it has never moved or shifted though rarely it may tilt a little when getting into/out of the car, I just make sure it's where it should be before getting out. Also, I ordered a nano gun vault which stays tethered to my seat in my car where I store my gun + extra mag if I have to go somewhere which may have a 30.06.

Do you carry any non-lethal deterrents? I'm thinking about capsaicin spray or a knife but I figure a knife has more potential to be used against you since it requires being up close and personal.
12/28/12 Online Application
01/11/13 All documents mailed w/signature confirmation
02/11/13 Plastic in hand
Total time: 48 days

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

RX8er wrote:
ZombieApoc wrote: Not IN work mind you, but in the car up until work.
:headscratch I must have missed it, why not carry at work?

Glad to hear all is going well. :thumbs2:
Probably like my employer: Doesn't display a 30.06 sign, but specifically states in the Employee Guide and policies that employees are not allowed to carry weapons of any sort while in the building including firearms and knives. This means that visitors/guests can carry concealed, but I can't.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

:iagree:
Same here! :banghead:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Good on you for becoming more responsible for y'alls safety.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
OnceFired
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OnceFired »

Hey all

Sorry for a long absence. Totally got mired in work, and then we geared up to move, too.

Yeah, my employer had an Employee Handbook policy of no weapons. But, being in TX and not having signs at the property entrance / perimeter - it really only prevented me from carrying inside. I respect the policy as far as the law allows them to take it. They don't advise as to carrying "on the grounds" so I was good up until the door.

That said, I don't work for that employer any more. Wasn't a good fit - far too corporate for me.

And I now carry pretty much everywhere I go.

ZA
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

After 12 years, I only feel nervous when I'm not carrying.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Sandbox Sailor

Post by Sandbox Sailor »

So I have a question on the work policies. I havent received my chl in the mail yet but I have been noticing at work that there is no 30.06 sign. There is a no weapons sign, but nothing legal. As of September 2011 Texas companies arent allowed to ban employees from having a firearm in the parking lot and only under a few circumstances can they get away with it. Here is my issue. I have no desire to carry into work and get fired but like others our policy is if you carry a weapon in or onto company property you will be terminated immediately. Now then, the questions. If they were to find a gun in my car can they legally fire me? Wouldnt this be wrongful termination since the state of Texas is allowing anyone over 21 without felonies and chl holders to at least stash a firearm in your vehicle?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Sandbox Sailor wrote:So I have a question on the work policies. I havent received my chl in the mail yet but I have been noticing at work that there is no 30.06 sign. There is a no weapons sign, but nothing legal. As of September 2011 Texas companies arent allowed to ban employees from having a firearm in the parking lot and only under a few circumstances can they get away with it. Here is my issue. I have no desire to carry into work and get fired but like others our policy is if you carry a weapon in or onto company property you will be terminated immediately. Now then, the questions. If they were to find a gun in my car can they legally fire me? Wouldnt this be wrongful termination since the state of Texas is allowing anyone over 21 without felonies and chl holders to at least stash a firearm in your vehicle?
Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

As long as you are not an employee of one of the exempted businesses (refinery or school), then you can keep a legally possessed firearm in your personal vehicle and they can't fire you for that reason. That is as long as you don't use the vehicle for company business. If the 30.06 sign is on the building, then it pertains to that building and you would be in violation to carry past it. If they have them at the parking lot, then you can still keep it in your vehicle, but if you step out with it you are in violation.

Hope that answers your question.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Don't sweat it. They can always fire you for another reason.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Don't sweat it. They can always fire you for another reason.
Actually, in Texas a reason isn't even required, is it? Basically, you cannot be fired for reasons prohibited by statute, but otherwise all bets are off.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “New to CHL?”