Where on your body do you carry?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Where on your body do you carry?

Post by mewalke »

So I have been practice carrying in my home to help me figure out the best and most comfortable way for me to carry. But no matter where I position my holster I have a problem with doing any bending over or squatting.

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 235 lbs
Right/Left Handed: Right
Where on body: IWB, testing 3 to 5 o'clock
Holster: CompTac Minotaur MTAC
Firearm: XD 45c
Change during the winter/summer: No, but may change if I can't find a more workable carry position

Any suggestions for carry positions? Can lowering the height the holster rides on the belt clips help with bending over/squatting? I have a feeling most of it is because I'm heavy... and I know "printing" isn't illegal but it is not hard to pick out what is on my belt when I squat or bend over at all...

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jayinsat »

mewalke wrote:So I have been practice carrying in my home to help me figure out the best and most comfortable way for me to carry. But no matter where I position my holster I have a problem with doing any bending over or squatting.

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 235 lbs
Right/Left Handed: Right
Where on body: IWB, testing 3 to 5 o'clock
Holster: CompTac Minotaur MTAC
Firearm: XD 45c
Change during the winter/summer: No, but may change if I can't find a more workable carry position

Any suggestions for carry positions? Can lowering the height the holster rides on the belt clips help with bending over/squatting? I have a feeling most of it is because I'm heavy... and I know "printing" isn't illegal but it is not hard to pick out what is on my belt when I squat or bend over at all...
try changing the cant and lowering or raising the height.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 8

Post by nightmare69 »

I thought printing was illegal. Someone aware me please.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

jayinsat wrote: try changing the cant and lowering or raising the height.
thanks, I will... I figured that's what I needed to do so I will break out the allen wrench and get to adjusting tonight.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

nightmare69 wrote:I thought printing was illegal. Someone aware me please.
"Printing" means a noticeable bulge where a firearm "might be" carried. "Printing" is only illegal if it is to a degree that any reasonable person can tell that the bulge is in fact a gun. If the bulge is non distinguishable from that of a cell phone or PDA, then the "printing" is not illegal.

Long as your shirt is not so tight that the sn# of your gun is readable, then the general public won't know the difference.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 8

Post by nightmare69 »

jayinsat wrote:
"Printing" means a noticeable bulge where a firearm "might be" carried. "Printing" is only illegal if it is to a degree that any reasonable person can tell that the bulge is in fact a gun. If the bulge is non distinguishable from that of a cell phone or PDA, then the "printing" is not illegal.

Long as your shirt is not so tight that the sn# of your gun is readable, then the general public won't know the difference.

I noticed the bottom of my grip will print when I bend over or squat down, I going to put my arm over it to cover it up.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

nightmare69 wrote:
jayinsat wrote:

I noticed the bottom of my grip will print when I bend over or squat down, I going to put my arm over it to cover it up.
In all honesty, 99.9% of the people won't notice that. I may notice because I make it a game to try to figure out who's carrying and I would never tell. Before I got my CHL, I was clueless. My pastor carried all the time and it was prominent. I always thought it was his cellphone. Boy was I wrong! :oops:
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

Well I spent almost an hour last night adjusting the height, cant, and alternative locations for carry to make it easier to conceal. My conclusion? Wear baggier shirts and get a smaller gun.

:mad5

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

Height and Weight: 6' 1" / 210
Right or Left hand: Right
Where on body do you carry: gun @ 4-5 iwb, 1 extra mag in the mag holder on the front of the holster, 1 extra mag in the right-hand shallow jeans pocket
Holster brand and type: DeSantis TuckThis
Gun make and model: Beretta Nano 9mm
Do you change how you carry during the winter or summer months: I haven't gone through a complete summer as a CHL holder yet, but I don't expect to alter my carry for the warmest months.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

timdsmith72
Posts in topic: 1

Post by timdsmith72 »

I'll play.

Height and Weight: 5'8" 145lbs
Where on body do you carry: At about 3:30-4:00
Holster brand and type: Crossbreed Supertuck
Gun make and model: Sig Sauer 1911 RCS in .45
Do you change how you carry during the winter or summer months: I wear jeans and a T-Shirt or Polo shirt year round, so how I carry never changes.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mewalke wrote:Well I spent almost an hour last night adjusting the height, cant, and alternative locations for carry to make it easier to conceal. My conclusion? Wear baggier shirts and get a smaller gun.

:mad5
That's what I did. Went from the G23 to the XDS.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

D_hardy

Post by D_hardy »

Height and Weight: 5'10" 300
Where on body do you carry: 3-4
Holster brand and type: Supertuck
Gun make and model: G23
Do you change how you carry during the winter or summer months: Status just went to mailed a few days ago so I will find out soon! I have noticed similar printing if I squat or bend over but I feel like that is to be expected. My sr9c does the same thing so I feel like its just going to be that way with whatever I carry. That crossbreed sure is sqeeky! Ive been wearing it at home to try and break it in..

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

D_hardy wrote:Height and Weight: 5'10" 300
Where on body do you carry: 3-4
Holster brand and type: Supertuck
Gun make and model: G23
Do you change how you carry during the winter or summer months: Status just went to mailed a few days ago so I will find out soon! I have noticed similar printing if I squat or bend over but I feel like that is to be expected. My sr9c does the same thing so I feel like its just going to be that way with whatever I carry. That crossbreed sure is sqeeky! Ive been wearing it at home to try and break it in..
Try putting a small strip of bandage type tape between the belt clips and the face of the leather where they meet. Helped me. Eventually it will go away though.
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

SigP250
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigP250 »

Height and Weight: 5'11"
Where on body do you carry: 3:30-4
Holster brand and type: High Noon Hidden Alley IWB Holster
Gun make and model: Sig P250 Compact 9mm
Do you change how you carry during the winter or summer months: Still waiting on my plastic... :rules:

japacejr

Post by japacejr »

Height and Weight: 6'-2", 320lbs (another big boy here)
Where on body do you carry: about 5:30
Holster brand and type: Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe (Horsehide) with an extra magazine in a WRB single mag pouch.
Gun make and model: S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Do you change how you carry during the winter or summer months: I have only been carrying for about a month so too soon to tell, but I doubt it. I wear loose un-tucked shirts most of the time.

mewalke: I found that lowering my kydex to the lowest point then adjusting the cant up one notch worked the best for me. I was very conscious of it at first but have gotten comfortable and I don't even think my wife notices.
12/17/2011: CHL Received

Return to “New to CHL?”