Larger claiber deeming "too aggressive"?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
XGC Radioactive
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Larger claiber deeming "too aggressive"?

Post by XGC Radioactive »

fickman wrote:If you end up in the hot seat with a DA coming for you, ala Mr. Zimmerman, of course they'll make it a big deal. It'll be the responsibility of your defense team to ask every officer who testifies what caliber they carry and what calibers they own at home as a reference point for the jury.

They'll use anything and everything they can to make you look like a monster, cowboy, or some sort of cowboy monster.

They can't do any of the above if you don't survive the attack.
better to be in the hot seat than the cold ground....
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mrvmax wrote:If I am at home and the closest firearm is my S&W 500 then that is what I will use. Believe it or not, but I could conceal carry it if I wanted. I have too many other options so I would never carry it but overpenetration would be my biggest concern with it.
Don't carry it into Oklahoma. :cool:
Yep, I noticed they have a caliber "limit" when I was looking over their laws when I drove through there.

Topic author
XGC Radioactive

mrvmax wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
mrvmax wrote:If I am at home and the closest firearm is my S&W 500 then that is what I will use. Believe it or not, but I could conceal carry it if I wanted. I have too many other options so I would never carry it but overpenetration would be my biggest concern with it.
Don't carry it into Oklahoma. :cool:
Yep, I noticed they have a caliber "limit" when I was looking over their laws when I drove through there.
Oklahoma, cus Mediocrehoma doesn't sound that great. :p

I find that's kinda ironic. "Yes you can open carry, but nothing larger than a .45. We don't want you to overkill the guy that's trying to kill you. What would people think?"
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jason K »

So....would carrying a .460S&W concealed be OK?....

:mrgreen:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jason K wrote:So....would carrying a .460S&W concealed be OK?....

Not OK in OK. Nothing larger than a .45 caliber. A .44 Mag is OK though.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Keith B wrote: Not OK in OK. Nothing larger than a .45 caliber. A .44 Mag is OK though.
What about a .454 Casull? It's almost as powerfull as a S&W .500
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ajwakeboarder wrote:
Keith B wrote: Not OK in OK. Nothing larger than a .45 caliber. A .44 Mag is OK though.
You know, I don't know. I thought about that when I listed the other > .45 calibers. I own a .44 magnum, and it is fun to shoot, but I would not want to shoot in self defense with it. Double taps would set your hair on fire.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:
You know, I don't know. I thought about that when I listed the other > .45 calibers. I own a .44 magnum, and it is fun to shoot, but I would not want to shoot in self defense with it. Double taps would set your hair on fire.
I haven't gotten a chance to shoot either yet. I don't ever see a reason i would carry anything that big for normal self defense. I still carry a 9mm for now, but i'm thinking of upgrading to a .45ACP. However, a group of friends and i have been wanting to go on a hiking/camping trip in the Colorado mountains sometime. We've discussed bear defense and both the .44 mag and the .454 Casull have come up in discussion.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

ajwakeboarder wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:
I haven't gotten a chance to shoot either yet. I don't ever see a reason i would carry anything that big for normal self defense. I still carry a 9mm for now, but i'm thinking of upgrading to a .45ACP. However, a group of friends and i have been wanting to go on a hiking/camping trip in the Colorado mountains sometime. We've discussed bear defense and both the .44 mag and the .454 Casull have come up in discussion.
If you live in Alaska or bear country there is a good reason to carry something that big.

Topic author
XGC Radioactive

mrvmax wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:
If you live in Alaska or bear country there is a good reason to carry something that big.
I know someone who carried a 500S&W in a national park for bears. talk about weighing down your waist.
Ted Nugent

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

A .460S&W uses a .45 caliber bullet....they just call it a .460 in the same way that they call a .429 bullet a .44 Magnum....

Keith B wrote:
Jason K wrote:So....would carrying a .460S&W concealed be OK?....

Not OK in OK. Nothing larger than a .45 caliber. A .44 Mag is OK though.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jason K wrote:A .460S&W uses a .45 caliber bullet....they just call it a .460 in the same way that they call a .429 bullet a .44 Magnum....
True, but if you get someone who doesn't really understand that it is the same diameter as a .45 ACP, then you may have an argument on your hands to get out of charges.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
XGC Radioactive

Ted Nugent

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

I met a guy who obviously had doubts about his masculinity, His CCW was a S&W 500! He wore the gun in a OWB with THREE speedloaders. :anamatedbanana
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
XGC Radioactive

MoJo wrote:I met a guy who obviously had doubts about his masculinity, His CCW was a S&W 500! He wore the gun in a OWB with THREE speedloaders. :anamatedbanana
Ted Nugent

Return to “New to CHL?”