Extra Magazine Carry

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Extra Magazine Carry

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Austin83 wrote:I'd like to carry an extra mag, but I feel I carry too much with a wallet, pistol, phone, keys, and a large Swiss Army Knife.
I hear you. Plus I carry pepper spray when I walk the doggies.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

my Kusiak has an extra mag spot for my LCP
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

Austin83 wrote:I'd like to carry an extra mag, but I feel I carry too much with a wallet, pistol, phone, keys, and a large Swiss Army Knife.
Try an ankle mag carrier.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I probably will carry an extra at some point. Right now have 17 rounds to start with.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

I carry it in a Leatherman pouch on my left hip (I'm right handed) and sometimes in my left front pocket. (when in my pocket I may carry other items in my pocket but I always push the mag to the far left side (outside closest to my left hip) just in case I need to get to it quickly.
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

carlson1 wrote:It has been mentioned several times, but I think some are missing the more valid point. An extra magazine not only gives you extra rounds, but it's greater purpose serves as a "quick fix" for a malfunction.
Chiming in on an old post of Carlson's with another factor to consider. I can't think of any defensive handgun class I've ever taken that didn't include a mag exchange before reholstering. If the unthinkable happens, it's highly unlikely that you will count your rounds. And since we know bad guys often come in multiples, you should never assume the action is completely over just because you made it through the initial encounter.

Making it a habit to perform a reload-with-retention after every practice CoF--even dry-fire--can help ensure that, if the time ever comes, you won't have to think about it and will never holster a partially-emptied gun. Besides, gives you more reloading practice. ;-)

Like others, for me the number and location of spare mags will vary depending upon what I'm carrying. My most-often carry is a 1911 IWB at three o'clock, and I carry two spare mags, also IWB in a leather holder, at 8:00. If dress allows me only a pocket pistol, then I'll have one spare mag in a pocket on the opposite side. But I can't remember the last time I left the house without at least one extra magazine.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Running out of ammo in a gun fight is a bad idea. Just saying.
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Return to “New to CHL?”