New here... Just applied and took CHL class today.

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
JonnySW
Posts in topic: 7

New here... Just applied and took CHL class today.

Post by JonnySW »

New here, figured I would join and see what info I can learn and contribute too. Just took my class today and applied with the state a few weeks back. Hope to get my permit soon.

Thanks.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New here... Just applied and took CHL class today.

Post by WildBill »

JonnySW wrote:New here, figured I would join and see what info I can learn and contribute too. Just took my class today and applied with the state a few weeks back. Hope to get my permit soon.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum JonnySW! :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair and wait awhile. Read all you can here as there are some knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Actually, you would be wise in using this time to get a carry weapon (if you haven't already), get a good gun belt and holster and practice carrying around the house. Get used to carrying as well as find out what works and what doesn't.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

Right now I just have my S&W 9mm sigma. I do have a locking belt holster that's designed specifically for my gun with the Crimson trace trigger laser. It's a little big I think to carry with just a shirt, so eventually I want to go to the glock 42. Something small I can hide in my pocket if I had to. I've got little kids and don't need anything that sticks out to much from my waist.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

JonnySW wrote:Right now I just have my S&W 9mm sigma. I do have a locking belt holster that's designed specifically for my gun with the Crimson trace trigger laser. It's a little big I think to carry with just a shirt, so eventually I want to go to the glock 42. Something small I can hide in my pocket if I had to. I've got little kids and don't need anything that sticks out to much from my waist.
That is the reason for a good gun belt. They are designed and made to hold close to your body. That is even more important (at least in my opinion) than the holster.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

RPBrown wrote:
JonnySW wrote:Right now I just have my S&W 9mm sigma. I do have a locking belt holster that's designed specifically for my gun with the Crimson trace trigger laser. It's a little big I think to carry with just a shirt, so eventually I want to go to the glock 42. Something small I can hide in my pocket if I had to. I've got little kids and don't need anything that sticks out to much from my waist.
That is the reason for a good gun belt. They are designed and made to hold close to your body. That is even more important (at least in my opinion) than the holster.
Any recommendations?

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Several places make good gunbelts. For leather belts, Beltman comes well recommended as do some others, and I can personally recommend Comp-Tac and AG Gunleather. I don't care much for the rounded buckles that Comp-Tac used on the belt I got, but the belt itself is very nice -- squared buckles that don't pull into the edges of the leather more than the middle will help the belt look better for a longer time. For Nylon belts, Wilderness and 5-11 seem to make very good belts. I have three different colors of the 5-11 belt with the metal buckle, and they are all great for casual wear. Beltman, Comp-Tac and AG Gunleather all have their own websites. Wilderness and 5-11 may as well, but I believe that they are also sold through other distributors.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:iagree: I also recommend the Beltman Bullhide and the Wilderness Instructors Belt.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Several places make good gunbelts. For leather belts, Beltman comes well recommended as do some others, and I can personally recommend Comp-Tac and AG Gunleather. I don't care much for the rounded buckles that Comp-Tac used on the belt I got, but the belt itself is very nice -- squared buckles that don't pull into the edges of the leather more than the middle will help the belt look better for a longer time. For Nylon belts, Wilderness and 5-11 seem to make very good belts. I have three different colors of the 5-11 belt with the metal buckle, and they are all great for casual wear. Beltman, Comp-Tac and AG Gunleather all have their own websites. Wilderness and 5-11 may as well, but I believe that they are also sold through other distributors.
I would like to find one that is leather and looks similar to a casual/dress belt. Not looking for anything tactical really.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

JonnySW wrote:I would like to find one that is leather and looks similar to a casual/dress belt. Not looking for anything tactical really.
The Beltman Bullhide is a real gun belt that looks and acts like a dress belt. ;-) Just be careful to measure the belt loops of your pants so you order the correct belt width.

I don't wear tactical looking stuff, but the Wilderness Instructors belt is fine for casual wear. It is great in the summer when I wear shorts.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

WildBill wrote:
JonnySW wrote:I would like to find one that is leather and looks similar to a casual/dress belt. Not looking for anything tactical really.
The Beltman Bullhide is a real gun belt that looks and acts like a dress belt. ;-) Just be careful to measure the belt loops of your pants so you order the correct belt width.

I don't wear tactical looking stuff, but the Wilderness Instructors belt is fine for casual wear. It is great in the summer when I wear shorts.
Thanks, I'll check those out first.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

JonnySW wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Thanks, I'll check those out first.
Don't be put off by the price. As long as you don't gain too much weight, the belt will last many years.

If you buy inferior belts you will buy several that you won't wear, and end up costing you more. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hillfighter »

WildBill wrote:

:iagree: The Wilderness belts look outdoorsy in coyote tan or foliage green. Especially the Frequent Flyer belt.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

So what is the difference b/t a normal pants belt vs a gun belt?

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hillfighter »

JonnySW wrote:So what is the difference b/t a normal pants belt vs a gun belt?
Support. There's a photo somebody posted here a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Here we go.

"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Return to “New to CHL?”