New member intro and frustrating injury

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Screamin Jimmy
Posts in topic: 1

New member intro and frustrating injury

Post by Screamin Jimmy »

Hi all. Just registered today but have been lurking since I took my class 4-26-14. Got fingerprinted 5-5-14 and mailed the packet 5-6-14. Waited the prescribed 60(ish) days before I ever checked the DPS site and experienced the lack of status update others have been talking about. Found a thread on this forum regarding the “change of address” links and sure enough, those links appeared sometime in the last 2 days. As of today, 7-10-14, PLASTIC!! Woohoo!!

The frustrating thing is that I broke, of all things, my trigger finger in a mountain biking wipeout on Mother’s Day weekend and it hasn’t completely healed yet. I can move it enough that I could fire my weapon if I needed to but it still hurts enough that I’m afraid to practice my draw for fear of jamming it. So even though I can carry now, it’ll be a while before my draw is smooth and efficient. :grumble

By the way, my carry gun is a standard Bersa Thunder 380 (not CC) and even though I’m skinny (6’ 0”, 150 lbs) it disappears pretty nicely under an un-tucked button up shirt. For now I have an inexpensive Blackhawk IWB holster worn at 1:30 and tilted about 45 degrees but I do plan to upgrade to something with a permanent cant. In fact, my first trip out of the house with my CCW was to the local gun shop to look at holsters. I do, however, fully intend to do the official Wally Walk soon.

Thanks for a great site. I’ve already learned a lot and hopefully I’ll be able to contribute some wisdom soon.
4-26-14 class, 5-5-14 prints, 5-6-14 mailed, 7-10-14 PLASTIC!

ajwakeboarder

Re: New member intro and frustrating injury

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Its a good time to practice weak hand shooting. I broke my thumb last year in a motorcycle accident. I had to learn how to do everything left handed. I got pretty good at drawing and firing with my left hand. I didn't carry as much as I usually do, but its a good skill to work on. Welcome to the board and sorry to hear about your injury. :tiphat:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Welcome! Hope you heal quickly.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

Welcome and congrats on getting your plastic! I'm still waiting on mine. I hope you have a speedy recovery!
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

ajwakeboarder has offered you excellent advice.

When I practice shooting my pistol, I always take time to shoot with my weak hand.

Initially, I found it horribly awkward, but I kept at it and before very long I could shoot just as accurately as I can with my strong hand.

This is your opportunity to get good with your weak hand.

Why practice this way?

If your strong hand get injured by a bullet or whatever...

ELB

Post by ELB »

You might find this blog blurb by Greg Ellifritz of interest: Your Tactical Training Scenario…Injured Hands

In short, he recommends not only practicing shooting with either hand, but using other fingers than the traditional trigger finger. You may not have time or ability to switch hands.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “New to CHL?”