Florida Non-resident License ?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Busykngt
Posts in topic: 1

Florida Non-resident License ?

Post by Busykngt »

First, let me say, I've taken the "regular course" of action to get my Texas CHL. Which is why I'm here in this forum... waiting on the DPS. :totap:

However, my little "neighborhood news" flyer has an adv in it this time around for a four hour class that promises "no range time" and "no written test" and the license is good in Texas and thirty other states! It's advertised as a 'hassle free' CHL (prints done in class).

And while this particular adv doesn't mention a price tag for the class, this strikes me as being a pretty good deal from the stand point of saving a little time and not having to take a test (written or shooting). It appears the basic stuff is covered: Texas laws, responsibilities, gun safety, etc. If your objective is to be able to legally carry concealed, why wouldn't this work? Is there a *real* / tangible downside to it (not just made up, subjective stuff)?
--
And perhaps a more broad question would be, why does Texas honor such a state license that doesn't require at least a shooting proficiency demonstration {test} ? Being fairly new to this CHL stuff [not new to firearms], it's been interesting for me to see the wide variance of state requirements but yet pretty wide spread reciprocity between the states (which is a good thing in my opinion). Comments? Observations?

The Annoyed Man

Re: Florida Non-resident License ?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That's been a sore topic here at times. People who advertise a way to get around the legislative intent of the Texas legislature don't do the state's CHL community any favors.

Before anyone dumps on me.... I GET it. I do. The state charges too much, etc., etc. But we went through a patch of this stuff just a year or two ago, in case anyone's forgotten, in which there were some threats to change CHL law so as to require a CHL in order to validate an out of state permit. ONE state, Utah, actually DID change its CFP law, requiring anyone who applies for a non-resident permit to have a valid license from their home state as a qualification for getting a non-resident CFP.

I don't think that anyone would care if instructors merely advertised their particular out of state licensing course.....and for a long time, nobody did mind. But when a bunch of these instructors started advertising it as a way to circumvent Texas law, well......only an idiot wouldn't understand the trouble they stirred up. It's like those folks with long guns at OC demonstrations being categorically unrepentant about the damage they've done to the cause of OC in Texas.....exactly that kind of intellectual density.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Unicorn Rancher

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

God bless Marion Hammer.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Busykngt wrote:First, let me say, I've taken the "regular course" of action to get my Texas CHL. Which is why I'm here in this forum... waiting on the DPS. :totap:

However, my little "neighborhood news" flyer has an adv in it this time around for a four hour class that promises "no range time" and "no written test" and the license is good in Texas and thirty other states! It's advertised as a 'hassle free' CHL (prints done in class).

And while this particular adv doesn't mention a price tag for the class, this strikes me as being a pretty good deal from the stand point of saving a little time and not having to take a test (written or shooting). It appears the basic stuff is covered: Texas laws, responsibilities, gun safety, etc. If your objective is to be able to legally carry concealed, why wouldn't this work? Is there a *real* / tangible downside to it (not just made up, subjective stuff)?
--
And perhaps a more broad question would be, why does Texas honor such a state license that doesn't require at least a shooting proficiency demonstration {test} ? Being fairly new to this CHL stuff [not new to firearms], it's been interesting for me to see the wide variance of state requirements but yet pretty wide spread reciprocity between the states (which is a good thing in my opinion). Comments? Observations?
The instructor must provide proof of the applicant showing they can safely discharge a firearm and must shoot at least one round. That can come in the form of NRA pistol certification, other state CHL shooting proficiency, etc. For those that do not have previous shooting experience, I believe this individual instructor is using home-made wax bullet rounds that are powered by a primer only and having the student fire the gun in class. I know this was reported to the state of Florida but don't know if they found the method acceptable or not. I personally don't think it is, but that's me.

Bottom line, the Florida instructor must make sure there is proof of firearm proficiency that meets the state requirements. I do know there have been a couple of Florida instructors that were giving out false certificates stating the student had shown proficiency and the student never even touched a firearm in class, much less discharged one to meet requirements.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

A Florida license training requirement can be satisfied in many ways.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 90.06.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;
Back when I first applied for a FL non-resident (I think it was 1999?) I recall the training requirement was much the same. I sent them a copy of my NC concealed carry class completion certificate and that was all I needed to get the FL permit. I BELIEVE (not 100% certain) that all you need for proof of training is a copy of your TX CHL-100. If you've already taken the regular TX CHL class, I believe you do not need any additional training to get a FL license. You should call FL Dept of Ag and confirm, but, I'd be surprised to find out I'm wrong.

FYI..... An Arizona non-resident license is a LOT cheaper and just as easy to get. Your TX CHL (once you receive it) should be sufficient proof of training for an AZ non-res license, and reciprocity is similar to FL. I'll be switching to AZ when my FL permit expires.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03112.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Keith B wrote:
Busykngt wrote:First, let me say, I've taken the "regular course" of action to get my Texas CHL. Which is why I'm here in this forum... waiting on the DPS. :totap:

--
The instructor must provide proof of the applicant showing they can safely discharge a firearm and must shoot at least one round. That can come in the form of NRA pistol certification, other state CHL shooting proficiency, etc. For those that do not have previous shooting experience, I believe this individual instructor is using home-made wax bullet rounds that are powered by a primer only and having the student fire the gun in class. I know this was reported to the state of Florida but don't know if they found the method acceptable or not. I personally don't think it is, but that's me.

Bottom line, the Florida instructor must make sure there is proof of firearm proficiency that meets the state requirements. I do know there have been a couple of Florida instructors that were giving out false certificates stating the student had shown proficiency and the student never even touched a firearm in class, much less discharged one to meet requirements.
A hunter safety course counts. Do they require discharging a firearm now?
I do know my Bible, sir.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Saffron wrote: A hunter safety course counts. Do they require discharging a firearm now?
No it doesn't, but what I was stating is for any student who had no other valid certification that could be used they were discharging the primer powered wax bullet in the classroom and saying they met the criteria of being trained.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “New to CHL?”