"Premises"

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
MACSTAR100
Posts in topic: 3

"Premises"

Post by MACSTAR100 »

I noticed the Texas Concealed hangun laws document clearly states what is considered a "premises"...“Premises” means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not
include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot,
parking garage, or other parking area.
But my question comes in in regards to pg. 46 46.03..... "on the physical premises of a school"
Why is it listed as "physical premises"?? Most of the time Premises is used it does not say "physical"premises? Is that different from the above definition?? Let me give someone an example: You are carrying concealed driving in your vehicle to pick your child up from school. Is it ok because, 1. you are in the confines of your vehichle and 2. you are on a public or private driveway. Does physical premises mean something different? Please help me understand the CHL laws in regards to schools. thanks.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetf ... CHL-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Premises"

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

Don't read anything into the 'physical' part. Physical would only imply the 'actual' premises of the school, which means building or portion of a building as defined in 46.035.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
MACSTAR100

Post by MACSTAR100 »

Thanks for the quick response. So are you saying you can still carry in your vechicle as normal and on your person as long as you are on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot,
parking garage, or other parking area?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

MACSTAR100 wrote:Thanks for the quick response. So are you saying you can still carry in your vechicle as normal and on your person as long as you are on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot,
That is correct.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

carlson1 wrote:
MACSTAR100 wrote:Thanks for the quick response. So are you saying you can still carry in your vechicle as normal and on your person as long as you are on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot,
That is correct.
:iagree: Don't go in the building(s), or don't be on the grounds where a school sponsored event (football game/practice, band practice, etc.) is taking place and you are legal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Of course, the other guys are correct, but I'll add that you may also, with a Texas CHL, in Texas, exit your vehicle to walk right up to the entrance to pick up your child from school. My daughter's school does this for dismissal. The teachers bring their classes outside and most of the parents walk up near the front door and they call to your child's teacher on walkie-talkies and your child is released to you. I am always carrying when I pick up my daughter like this and sometimes even standing next to an LEO friend or two that also have children in the school. When the weather is bad enough, they stay in the gym and we have to go inside to get them. On those days I disarm and leave it in the vehicle.

And just like they already said, don't go inside any school building while you're carrying. Don't even just cross the threshold.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
MACSTAR100

Post by MACSTAR100 »

Thanks for helping to clarify guys. (and gals)

Return to “New to CHL?”