5 year Misdemeanor wait period?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RDT806
Posts in topic: 8

Re: 5 year Misdemeanor wait period?

Post by RDT806 »

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately the paperwork we got from the court doesn't give a Penal Code. It just says Assault by Contact : Family Member
Also says Class C Misdemeanor.

And no she did not leave a mark. It was a very light slap. He was actually the aggressive one in this instance. What's bad is she is the one who actually called the police because he wouldn't let her leave the house. The police didn't even want to arrest anybody but since it was called in as a domestic dispute they didn't have a choice. They held her for 3 hours and cut her loose.

Now I could see the NICS possibly missing the charge once. Maybe. But i don't see them missing a disqualifying conviction multiple times over a broad span of time. That's what makes me wonder if it's disqualifying. Either way she submitted all of her CHL paperwork on the 14th. On the 25th she received a letter stating they didn't have her fingerprint form and she needed to resubmit it. So i guess there hasn't been a denial yet.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jumping Frog »

RDT806 wrote:... the paperwork we got from the court doesn't give a Penal Code. It just says Assault by Contact : Family Member
Then it sure sounds like
Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
IANAL, but I do not believe that qualifies as "the use or attempted use of physical force", it is simply offensive. I suspect she'll be fine.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
RDT806

Post by RDT806 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
RDT806 wrote:... the paperwork we got from the court doesn't give a Penal Code. It just says Assault by Contact : Family Member
Then it sure sounds like

(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
IANAL, but I do not believe that qualifies as "the use or attempted use of physical force", it is simply offensive. I suspect she'll be fine.
Thank you for the response. I think you may be right. I appreciate the information. Hopefully we will find out pretty soon. We both submitted on the same day and still impatiently waiting!

Topic author
RDT806

Post by RDT806 »

RDT806 wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Then it sure sounds like

Thank you for the response. I think you may be right. I appreciate the information. Hopefully we will find out pretty soon. We both submitted on the same day and still impatiently waiting!
Status update this morning. ... 12/2!

Still nothing for the wife yet.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

RDT806 wrote: Thank you for the response. I think you may be right. I appreciate the information. Hopefully we will find out pretty soon. We both submitted on the same day and still impatiently waiting!

Still nothing for the wife yet.[/quote]

Her applicationwill more than likely take a little longer due to it being sent to a technician to review the arrest and conviction info. Hopefully it won't take much longer and she will have hers as well!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
RDT806

Post by RDT806 »

Keith B wrote:
RDT806 wrote: Thank you for the response. I think you may be right. I appreciate the information. Hopefully we will find out pretty soon. We both submitted on the same day and still impatiently waiting!

Still nothing for the wife yet.
[/quote]Her applicationwill more than likely take a little longer due to it being sent to a technician to review the arrest and conviction info. Hopefully it won't take much longer and she will have hers as well!![/quote]

I hope so.. she also got a letter last week saying they didn't have her fingerprint form. So I'm sure that didn't help.

Topic author
RDT806

Post by RDT806 »

Well she got a status change today. So apparently it wasn't disqualifying. Thank you all for the replies.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

RDT806 wrote:Well she got a status change today. So apparently it wasn't disqualifying. Thank you all for the replies.
Good deal! Congratulations! :clapping:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “New to CHL?”