Malls and CC/30.06 postings

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
SSwt00SS
Posts in topic: 3

Malls and CC/30.06 postings

Post by SSwt00SS »

Had a conversation with an individual about shopping malls, and CC, that I would like more information on to pass along. Perhaps others are wondering as well, but maybe are hesitant to ask.

With the Holiday Shopping Season quickly approaching, are malls in the North Dallas Area (thinking North Park, Collin Creek, Stonebriar) have any posted 30.06 signs? While I have been to these malls and others, I have yet to encounter said posted notification on exterior entrances. As such, I stated that one could CC within the mall, but was unsure about individual businesses within. Again, I have yet to see any posted 30.06 signage for individual businesses within a mall. They are skeptical and believe that malls are areas that you cannot CC period.

Are there any limiting factors that I am missing or have failed to point out? Am I in error? If so could it be clarified, please. If not, any additional information that would be beneficial, please post.

Thanks guys.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Malls and CC/30.06 postings

Post by Excaliber »

SSwt00SS wrote:Had a conversation with an individual about shopping malls, and CC, that I would like more information on to pass along. Perhaps others are wondering as well, but maybe are hesitant to ask.

With the Holiday Shopping Season quickly approaching, are malls in the North Dallas Area (thinking North Park, Collin Creek, Stonebriar) have any posted 30.06 signs? While I have been to these malls and others, I have yet to encounter said posted notification on exterior entrances. As such, I stated that one could CC within the mall, but was unsure about individual businesses within. Again, I have yet to see any posted 30.06 signage for individual businesses within a mall. They are skeptical and believe that malls are areas that you cannot CC period.

Are there any limiting factors that I am missing or have failed to point out? Am I in error? If so could it be clarified, please. If not, any additional information that would be beneficial, please post.

Thanks guys.
IANAL, but here's how I summarize the situation: a CHL is a license to carry everywhere except where specifically prohibited. Malls are not a prohibited carry location in Texas.

If a location is not posted in compliance with 30.06, is not listed as a prohibited carry location in the penal code or federal law, and you have not been given notice by someone in charge of the premises that you can't carry, you're good to go.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Check here:
http://www.texas3006.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Instead of you proving it is allowed have them prove it is not, remember law prohibits not allow.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

suthdj wrote:Instead of you proving it is allowed have them prove it is not, remember law prohibits not allow.

exactly, tell them to show where it says you can't carry at a mall.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Or, don't go to malls for your purchases.

When it comes to buying gifts, buy online or give cash.

Cash is what I give my Grandchildren and they are delighted with this particular gift.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

If there's no valid 30.06 notice, I would carry legally and with a clear conscience. However, I wouldn't bother arguing about it. Concealed is concealed.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Of the three you mentioned, I've only been to the North Park mall and that was a couple of years ago. I don't remember it being posted then, but I only checked the one entrance.

I also agree with the others with regards to the law. If your friend is a gun control advocate and always wants gun proponents to show them the law that allows various things then your friend is either trying to get you to waste your time or they don't know how such things work. There are bound to be some laws that allow certain things, but I think most are prohibitive in nature with exceptions or that outline defense to prosecutions. Ask your friend to show you a law that would prohibit a CHL holder from carrying in a mall without a 30.06 sign or some other form of effective notice.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
SSwt00SS

Post by SSwt00SS »

Thanks for the info everyone.

The best way to explain my friend, is that he is/was under the impression that since Grapevine Mills Mall has such postings (we won't go into that matter), that it means all malls surely follow the same guidelines. I stated that is not true, one doesn't mean all. With discussions we have had, I believe they he is simply trying to become more informed, since he doesn't know how things work. Not just on this question but other as well, that I have been able to provide detailed responses too. I viewed it as an innocent question and at the time attempted to answer the best I could.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SSwt00SS wrote:Thanks for the info everyone.

The best way to explain my friend, is that he is/was under the impression that since Grapevine Mills Mall has such postings (we won't go into that matter), that it means all malls surely follow the same guidelines. I stated that is not true, one doesn't mean all. With discussions we have had, I believe they he is simply trying to become more informed, since he doesn't know how things work. Not just on this question but other as well, that I have been able to provide detailed responses too. I viewed it as an innocent question and at the time attempted to answer the best I could.
Those type of people are the ones that can be educated and even possibly become gun owners in the future. By providing them with educated and logical answers to questions they see that gun owners are not all a loony bunch of wild renegades we are played to be in the liberal media, but solid citizens who believe in the right to bear arms and be able to protect ourselves and our family.

Keep up the good work! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Just as a FYI to the OP, Firewheel Mall in Garland is an "open air" mall, meaning you walk outside from store to store. The mall itself is not posted, but there are a couple of stores that are.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I live near both kinds. Grapevine Mills is posted 30.06, but the Northeast Mall (near 121/820) is not. They are equidistant to me, so in the event that I cannot avoid a mall, it's not a hard decision.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Keith B wrote:
Those type of people are the ones that can be educated and even possibly become gun owners in the future. By providing them with educated and logical answers to questions they see that gun owners are not all a loony bunch of wild renegades we are played to be in the liberal media, but solid citizens who believe in the right to bear arms and be able to protect ourselves and our family.

Keep up the good work! :thumbs2:
There are times the media doesn't have to make gun owners look like a "loony bunch of wild renegades". All it takes to set a lot of peoples minds is one jerk who thinks being armed gives him more rights and privileges than an ordinary citizen. Unfortunately, there are those types wandering around in the wild, giving everyone a bad impression of what gun ownership means.

Topic author
SSwt00SS

Post by SSwt00SS »

txglock21 wrote:Just as a FYI to the OP, Firewheel Mall in Garland is an "open air" mall, meaning you walk outside from store to store. The mall itself is not posted, but there are a couple of stores that are.
Speaking of this, found myself Saturday at the Firewheel Theaters for American Sniper. On both the front entry door, very bottom of the storefront glass, are the typical "The unlicensed possession..." and further to the left on another section of doors and posted in the very bottom of the storefront was a 30.06 sign. In fact, I only saw the "The unlicensed possession" signs when entering. I saw the 30.06 when leaving after the movie ended, as the sign is posted on the exit door close to Theater #1. One can only imagine the extremely poor signage placements for both notifications, and they can be easily missed with as crowded as it was both inside and outside the entrance.

It was of no consequence to me, not that I had nothing to worry about.

I guess this is just a more heads up than anything.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

SSwt00SS wrote:
txglock21 wrote:Just as a FYI to the OP, Firewheel Mall in Garland is an "open air" mall, meaning you walk outside from store to store. The mall itself is not posted, but there are a couple of stores that are.
Speaking of this, found myself Saturday at the Firewheel Theaters for American Sniper. On both the front entry door, very bottom of the storefront glass, are the typical "The unlicensed possession..." and further to the left on another section of doors and posted in the very bottom of the storefront was a 30.06 sign. In fact, I only saw the "The unlicensed possession" signs when entering. I saw the 30.06 when leaving after the movie ended, as the sign is posted on the exit door close to Theater #1. One can only imagine the extremely poor signage placements for both notifications, and they can be easily missed with as crowded as it was both inside and outside the entrance.

It was of no consequence to me, not that I had nothing to worry about.

I guess this is just a more heads up than anything.
It's on an 8 1/2 " 11" sheet of paper. It's not even close to being a legal 30.06 sign. AMC typically does this.

Return to “New to CHL?”