Wally Walk completed

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
lildave40
Posts in topic: 2

Wally Walk completed

Post by lildave40 »

This weekend was the first for me to carry in public. Went to the local wolly world to pick up some items and wore my lc9. I was worried about printing but soon realized how no one was even trying to look. Then spent the whole day running errands with it under my shirt. I realized while out that no one was paying attention to me or what was going on around them. They just went on there merry ways. In fact I watched one lady walk right into her car not looking up from her phone. After my training began I used to be one of those people " lack of situational awareness" . A real wake up call.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wally Walk completed

Post by Taypo »

Welcome to the club!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well done lildave40! Soon it will become second nature, and you won't even think about carrying. It's just something you do.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Dave makes a good point, I often look to see if I can notice people carrying. Do you guys ?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Richbirdhunter wrote:Dave makes a good point, I often look to see if I can notice people carrying. Do you guys ?
Only at WalMart. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Richbirdhunter wrote:Dave makes a good point, I often look to see if I can notice people carrying. Do you guys ?
Not any more. Maybe for the first year or two, but since then I just started paying more attention to people in general.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

C-dub wrote:
Not any more. Maybe for the first year or two, but since then I just started paying more attention to people in general.

That's for sure C-dub
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Call me crazy but don't call the cops..I'll sometimes imagine how to car jack someone or steal a purse or something-something along those lines, play the bad guy if you will. In my opinion it's all about getting close to someone, someone not paying attention.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Congratulations on taking that necessary first trip out. It gets much easier and more comfortable as you get used to the idea that concealed works and printing enough to catch someones attention is rare. Carry on!
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Welcome aboard. Congrats!

:txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

tazking

Post by tazking »

I carry daily and have always kept my eyes on other people. Even as a kid I knew who was around and what they were doing. I am amazed every day how I can watch people walk blocks full of people without ever lifting their eyes from the phone. I have raised my two boys to be aware and have trained (don't tell her I said trained :lol: ) my wife to be that way as well. It is bad enough these people walk with their head in the phone but I see them drive the same way and can't count the times that I have almost been hit in my truck or my motorcycle. Again it comes down to awareness. When I went through my CHL class there were multiple people that were the same way and luckily the instructor took care of them. Why carry if you are not going to pay attention to your surroundings. You just become a hazard to everyone else.

Congrats on your first carry. Be safe.

surftsunami

Post by surftsunami »

Congrats! :cheers2: :patriot:

EspiOne

Post by EspiOne »

Tactical Awareness, goes a long way. I always get out of the vehicle first and do a perimeter scan before I give my wife the "okay" look and sometimes, she will say, "really??, really?" Then we get the kids out and conduct our business.

Dave, like others say, it will become second nature, you will load up in the morning or before you leave the house just like you make your coffee or pack your lunch.

The negative aspect of carry in some cases, you made go thur a box of holsters, but if I can recommend.. Mitch Rosen, costly, but excellent, had my holsters (and belt) made by Mitch for over 15 years ago.

For my Firestar M43, Beretta 92 Compact, S&W 940/642 (same holster), excellent concealment holsters.

Topic author
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

EspiOne wrote:Tactical Awareness, goes a long way. I always get out of the vehicle first and do a perimeter scan before I give my wife the "okay" look and sometimes, she will say, "really??, really?" Then we get the kids out and conduct our business.

Dave, like others say, it will become second nature, you will load up in the morning or before you leave the house just like you make your coffee or pack your lunch.

The negative aspect of carry in some cases, you made go thur a box of holsters, but if I can recommend.. Mitch Rosen, costly, but excellent, had my holsters (and belt) made by Mitch for over 15 years ago.

For my Firestar M43, Beretta 92 Compact, S&W 940/642 (same holster), excellent concealment holsters.
What holster do you recommend for an LC9? I found a clip that holds it inside my pants. But it can be uncomfortable at times.

Return to “New to CHL?”