Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I work in an office environment, so pretty good concealment with little risk of inadvertent exposure is called for most of the time. This led me to IWB carry. Online research six years ago led me to hybrid IWB holsters with tuckable clips, and specific recommendations of the CrossBreed SuperTuck and the Comp-Tac M-Tac holsters. Purchased an M-Tac for the M&P9C, and a similar Kholster (not sure they are even in business anymore) that I put Comp-Tac clips on for the BodyGuard 380. Typical daily carry is one of these at work or elsewhere, carried strong-side between 3 and 4 o'clock on either an AG Gunleather belt (work or more dressy occasions) or a 5.11 Instructor belt or similar to keep everything close to the body where it needs to be.

Training more often than not involves either the M&P9 or 9C from either the M-Tac or an OWB holster in the same 3 or 4 o'clock position. This leaves me with one basic draw stroke to practice, with the variable of clearing clothing out of the way or not as the training circumstances allow.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

rytchard wrote:Thanks all for the input! I tried today with the OWB and after a few hours it became very obvious that I need a belt that is meant for a handgun (which I have ordered and scheduled to arrive on Friday). My firearm just seemed to move around too much and I didn't like the feeling of that.

As an interim attempt, tomorrow I am going to try IWB which should remedy the moving around thing until my new belt arrives.

Probably a lot related to the above I stopped off at a local Academy Sporting Goods and really really liked the feel and potential of the S&W Bodyguard.

Again, your input is not only welcome, but requested! :)
If you get the bodyguard you can go to a pocket holster and not have to worry about anything hanging on your belt. I carry a Ruger LCP that is about the same size as a bodyguard in a wallet holster and I pretty much don't notice I even have it anymore. Talon training group sells the one I carry and it works very well.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Topic author
rytchard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rytchard »

Before I go on, thanks all for the great input that everyone provided! :tiphat: The short version is that yesterday after work I stopped off at Academy Sporting Goods and bought the S&W Bodyguard .380, some ammo, and a couple of accessories, i.e. Forbus paddle OWB holster.

I carried today all day at work and until I got home, and it was very comfortable, secure, and a good part of the day I, for the first time since carrying, forgot that it was there.

The logical side of me understands that I can carry a larger and more powerful gun. But at this point, I think it is important for defense to be confident and comfortable to carry everyday. Hence the purchase of the Bodyguard. This all is a work in progress and I am sure I will evolve.

Notwithstanding, I now have on the side a SCCY CPX-2 with an Armalaser TR10 that I have only fired 100 rounds through with two (02) DeSantis Holsters both IWB and OWB. I want to keep it, but I may end up selling. Time will tell. My CHL adventure began in early August and I won't share how much money I have spent since then directly related to said adventure!

Thanks again everyone! :txflag:

SoloXCRacer

Post by SoloXCRacer »

For my Smith & Wesson M&P full size, I use a Comp-Tac Gladiator for OWB and an Alien Gear Cloack Tuck 3.0 for IWB. The Comp-Tac Gladiator is super comfortable, and if you have a proper gun belt, flushes against the body nicely and does not move. My only issue with it is that I generally wear shorter shirts, and conceals well, as long as I don't raise my hands above my shoulders. With the Alien Gear Tuck 3.0 IWB, I was shocked how well it concealed, even when I tuck in my shirt. Though it's a heavier gun, the hybrid style distributes the weight evenly, so it doesn't feel like I have an anchor on my hip. It's comfortable most of the time with the occasional jab here and there. But surprisingly it's not that bad to carry at all. I was skeptical at first, but pleasantly surprised how easy it was to conceal and be mostly comfortable.

For my Springfield XD-S 4", I alternate between a Cook's Tuckable IWB and a Crossbreed Mini Tuck IWB. The Cooks Tuckable IWB is shockingly comfortable, light weight, and conceals really well when the shirt is un-tucked. It conceals generally well with the shirt tucked in, but I print sometimes when I rotate my hips or torso. Overall, a good holster for me. With the Crossbreed Mini Tuck IWB, it conceals really well both un-tucked and tucked. When tucked it conceals much better than the Cook's holster, even when I rotate. It's super comfortable when I'm standing or walking, but I do get jabbed frequently when sitting. I think that the Mini Tuck was designed for guns with less than 4" barrels. My XD-S is a 4", and the barrels extends past the leather backing, thus jabbing me when I sit. I think the Super Tuck IWB is better for guns with 4" or greater barrels. Looking back, I should have ordered the Super Tuck instead of the Mini Tuck. Then I think it would be the perfect holster for this gun so the barrel isn't jabbing me when I sit.

There are a lot of variables including gun size, body type, clothing type, etc that determines what works best for you. Unfortunately, you may spend a lot of $$$ in finding that perfect combo. I know I have! :)

So in general, I would rather go IWB and have better concealment and be mostly comfortable. Maybe after Jan 1 when OC start, I'll be less concerned if my OWB holsters show when I raise my hands. But for now I think IWB is the way to go.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Living in TX the Alien Gear iwb is good because I can go out with a T-shirt. Although sweating concerns me, most times I use a T-shirt tucked in and a over shirt.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I haven't tried OWB, but I think I'm gonna stick to IWB for CC because I can wear shirts closer to my size (they don't have to be so big to hang low enough to cover an OWB holster, IWB holsters are hidden in your pants) and because I have a tuckable IWB holster it gives me more dress options.

I also think IWB will give you better options to transition between CC to OC to CC if desired.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

I have seen those tuckable holsters. In particular one referred to as a "Sof-Tuck" - I think DeSantis makes it. It looks like it would be pretty functional and a good conceal option. I have held back only because I have bought so many holsters that I ended up not liking. I do prefer on many occasions to wear a shirt tucked in.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I am a man of somewhat "prosperous" dimensions (although I've lost 84.3 lbs since March 8th), and I've carried OWB for years now and have no trouble concealing a full sized gun (Glock 17, these days). It is way more comfortable. And as others have said, the secret is a REAL gunbelt, not just some random heavy leather belt. It's not just the materials or the thickness, it is how they are constructed that makes the difference.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

The Annoyed Man wrote:the secret is a REAL gunbelt, not just some random heavy leather belt. It's not just the materials or the thickness, it is how they are constructed that makes the difference.
I did try the gun belt route but here is what I experienced. During this time of year I usually wear cargo shorts at work. With a gun belt, it was obvious the better support that it provided for my firearm. However, since I am fairly active throughout the day I noticed that the additional weight of the belt itself would cause for my shorts to slide downward. Maybe I need to break it in more so I can fasten it tighter. But it does seem much heavier.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rytchard wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:the secret is a REAL gunbelt, not just some random heavy leather belt. It's not just the materials or the thickness, it is how they are constructed that makes the difference.
I did try the gun belt route but here is what I experienced. During this time of year I usually wear cargo shorts at work. With a gun belt, it was obvious the better support that it provided for my firearm. However, since I am fairly active throughout the day I noticed that the additional weight of the belt itself would cause for my shorts to slide downward. Maybe I need to break it in more so I can fasten it tighter. But it does seem much heavier.
You need a bigger butt, like mine. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I learned from Army load-bearing gear that the belt serves as an attachment point and the suspenders carry the load. I carry my BTA90, 12+1, extra 13 round magazine, cell phone and knife. The load works with my Walmart belt and both IWB and OWB holsters but I do have to cinch snugly. Suspenders distribute the load and allow me one more belt notch. YMMV.
rytchard wrote:I did try the gun belt route but here is what I experienced. During this time of year I usually wear cargo shorts at work. With a gun belt, it was obvious the better support that it provided for my firearm. However, since I am fairly active throughout the day I noticed that the additional weight of the belt itself would cause for my shorts to slide downward. Maybe I need to break it in more so I can fasten it tighter. But it does seem much heavier.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

greenbeer

Post by greenbeer »

For me it's been either appendix IWB or IWB at about 4:00. I'm a REALLY small guy. 5'7" and about 115lbs. So that's in the area of a 28" waist, without wearing a shirt that would look absolutely ridiculously oversized it's the best way for me to conceal comfortably and not have to buy a new wardrobe.
In Sig I trust.

glockenhand
Banned

Post by glockenhand »

I think OWB will be best for me. I would rather not purchase additional clothing in addition to everything else in order to carry comfortably.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

glockenhand wrote:I think OWB will be best for me. I would rather not purchase additional clothing in addition to everything else in order to carry comfortably.
Some of the current hybrid style IWB holsters may surprise you. I didnt need to upsize my jeans at all to wear that style, but I also carry forward of the hip bones.

greenbeer

Post by greenbeer »

Some of the current hybrid style IWB holsters may surprise you. I didnt need to upsize my jeans at all to wear that style, but I also carry forward of the hip bones.[/quote]

:iagree: Placement of a good holster along with holster shape and size is very important. I'm using a minimalist style kydex holster. With one belt clip and only enough material to do what is needed i.e. Cover the trigger, give enough retention, and break up the outline. So as long as the grip isn't protruding outside of where my hips should be I'm gtg. I haven't had to buy bigger jeans or larger shirts and can conceal comfortably with all but a few of my tighter fitting t-shirts.
In Sig I trust.

Return to “New to CHL?”