Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Wally Walk"

Post by TXRuger »

Congrats on your LTC!

mcm730

Post by mcm730 »

Got my plastic two days ago and took my first Wally Walk yesterday, whilst open carrying as well (my gun is large and I’m still trying to find my ideal carry). Aside from one lady near the entrance who began giggling and chattering enthusiastically when she saw me, nobody payed me any attention. That one ladies response did throw me off guard though, it’s like it thrilled her, and it definitely confused me. :headscratch

Nano

Post by Nano »

It is really simple. Open carry in Wally World and there will never be a need to tug at your shirt. The thing that will surprise you is that no one notices or cares.
NRA Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

rytchard wrote:After receiving my plastic last Monday I finally did my “Wally Walk”! Well, I really didn’t classify it as that but I had to do my weekly shopping Saturday after work. So I did what I normally do on Saturday after work other than this time I was carrying a S&W Bodyguard. I exited my car and did a quick tug or check on my polo shirt to assure me that my firearm was covered. Grabbed a cart and proceeded. Yikes! There are so many people there! Even children! Here I am armed with one in the chamber shopping!

All I could think of was that I wanted to check to make sure I was not showing. But I resisted. As I knew all of this was in my mind. I did cheat here and there and did a low profile check with my right arm.

On this shopping trip I did find myself extremely more aware of other people. Besides the normal ones that immediately annoyed me, but I think more of observing to see if that there were any hints that they or any were noticing me. They were not.

Not as far as knowing that I was carrying.

As most of you probably already know my shopping trip ended like everybody else there, without incident.

In closing, I didn’t realize that it was going to take some time for my mind “to get used” to this!

Each day is easier and I go through times where I completely forget that I am carrying. So I am getting used to it.

From time to time I have to remind myself that I am doing nothing wrong and that I "am" licensed to carry a handgun! :txflag:
I apologize for being somewhat amused with the concern for being concealed, I carry a full size Para P14 1911 openly all the t ime, I conceal only when have too, but you'll get use to carrying and it will be second nature in know time, and actually feel weird not to have your gun on you! Few people notice or care, I have had some very positive contacts while open carrying! :thumbs2:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

kayt00
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kayt00 »

I had my first "Wally Walk" after getting plastic in hand today. I actually didn't step foot in a Walmart rather I got home for work, placed my Kimber Ultra in it's home in the Crossbreed and headed off to school. I thought I was fine initially but once on campus it really hit home. Perhaps it wasn't such a bright idea to carry in public for the first time on a college campus but I did it anyway. Everything went smoothly, and once I got the ol nerves settled down I was fine. I did get the clunk from the chair when I sat down but just ignored it, kept calm, and carried on. I actually found myself participating more in discussions which also brought more attention my direction but nobody noticed a thing. Whether Walmart or college campus, I saw for myself how little people pay attention.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grundy1133 »

kayt00 wrote:I had my first "Wally Walk" after getting plastic in hand today. I actually didn't step foot in a Walmart rather I got home for work, placed my Kimber Ultra in it's home in the Crossbreed and headed off to school. I thought I was fine initially but once on campus it really hit home. Perhaps it wasn't such a bright idea to carry in public for the first time on a college campus but I did it anyway. Everything went smoothly, and once I got the ol nerves settled down I was fine. I did get the clunk from the chair when I sat down but just ignored it, kept calm, and carried on. I actually found myself participating more in discussions which also brought more attention my direction but nobody noticed a thing. Whether Walmart or college campus, I saw for myself how little people pay attention.
Congrats on the plastic. I got my plastic last month and the first few times i went out i was always cautious about pulling my shirt down after I get out of my car and glancing at myself in a windows reflection or a mirror to make sure it was covered. but now I dont even think about it. a lot of times I forget Im even wearing it. thats a full size M&P 40 on one side and 2 15rd spare mags on my other side. the only time i actually think "woops" is when I sit down somewhere and my mags hit the chair an d make a loud *tink* noise lol.
NRA Member

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I'm sure it'll pass and I think, for me anyway, it felt a little surreal only because I was carrying on campus. I need to ask campus security a question about it though only because there is a child care facility on site. According to Quad C's rules, that is one of the areas where we cannot carry. What i'm concerned about is that the facility is located in the same building so are we not supposed to carry at all in that building or just in the vicinity of the child care area.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grundy1133 »

kayt00 wrote:I'm sure it'll pass and I think, for me anyway, it felt a little surreal only because I was carrying on campus. I need to ask campus security a question about it though only because there is a child care facility on site. According to Quad C's rules, that is one of the areas where we cannot carry. What i'm concerned about is that the facility is located in the same building so are we not supposed to carry at all in that building or just in the vicinity of the child care area.
from my understanding they need to post 30.06 signs leading into the portion of the building that is off limits but yeah definitely get a definitive answer from the campus security.
NRA Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

kayt00 wrote:I had my first "Wally Walk" after getting plastic in hand today. I actually didn't step foot in a Walmart rather I got home for work, placed my Kimber Ultra in it's home in the Crossbreed and headed off to school. I thought I was fine initially but once on campus it really hit home. Perhaps it wasn't such a bright idea to carry in public for the first time on a college campus but I did it anyway. Everything went smoothly, and once I got the ol nerves settled down I was fine. I did get the clunk from the chair when I sat down but just ignored it, kept calm, and carried on. I actually found myself participating more in discussions which also brought more attention my direction but nobody noticed a thing. Whether Walmart or college campus, I saw for myself how little people pay attention.
Congratulations on getting your plastic! I see you're in the DFW area. Several of us get together for breakfast and would love to invite you to join us. The DFW northeast group meets on the 2nd saturday of each month at Rudy's BBQ in Frisco off the Dallas North Tollway. The DFW southwest group meets on the 3rd saturday of each month at Rudy's BBQ in Arlington on I-20. I personally try to make both myself because there are different people at each location. It's great conversation with fellow 2nd amendment supporters.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Flightmare wrote:
Congratulations on getting your plastic! I see you're in the DFW area. Several of us get together for breakfast and would love to invite you to join us. The DFW northeast group meets on the 2nd saturday of each month at Rudy's BBQ in Frisco off the Dallas North Tollway. The DFW southwest group meets on the 3rd saturday of each month at Rudy's BBQ in Arlington on I-20. I personally try to make both myself because there are different people at each location. It's great conversation with fellow 2nd amendment supporters.
Thanks for the invite Flightmare, I'm going to have to check that out. If nothing else it would make for a great Saturday morning ride.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Grundy1133 wrote:
kayt00 wrote:I'm sure it'll pass and I think, for me anyway, it felt a little surreal only because I was carrying on campus. I need to ask campus security a question about it though only because there is a child care facility on site. According to Quad C's rules, that is one of the areas where we cannot carry. What i'm concerned about is that the facility is located in the same building so are we not supposed to carry at all in that building or just in the vicinity of the child care area.
from my understanding they need to post 30.06 signs leading into the portion of the building that is off limits but yeah definitely get a definitive answer from the campus security.
I wouldn't ask, Its been my experience observation that campus security folks have the competence and knowledge level that lies somewhere between Enos of Dukes of Hazzard and Mall security cops. Their answer will most likely tend to be more restrictive than the reality. Investigate the building yourself and look for the 30.06 signs. It is seldom a good idea to ask Security about the rules and laws concerning how we arm our selves.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If the entire building is off-limits, there should be 30.06 signs at the building entrances. If only certain rooms, there should be a 30.06 at the room entry door. Also, search your school's website for the phrase "campus carry" and "campus carry exclusion zone". Some schools do a great job documenting what's OK and what's excluded. And then there's a lot of them that don't.

If neither of the above shed more light, and you engage campus security/p.d. as a last resort, my advice is to start with someone as high up the organizational ladder as possible.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

KLB

Post by KLB »

rytchard wrote:In closing, I didn’t realize that it was going to take some time for my mind “to get used” to this!
It took me a while to get used to it as well. I suspect you and I are not unique in that regard,

Return to “New to CHL?”