"Wally Walk"

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rytchard
Posts in topic: 2

"Wally Walk"

Post by rytchard »

After receiving my plastic last Monday I finally did my “Wally Walk”! Well, I really didn’t classify it as that but I had to do my weekly shopping Saturday after work. So I did what I normally do on Saturday after work other than this time I was carrying a S&W Bodyguard. I exited my car and did a quick tug or check on my polo shirt to assure me that my firearm was covered. Grabbed a cart and proceeded. Yikes! There are so many people there! Even children! Here I am armed with one in the chamber shopping!

All I could think of was that I wanted to check to make sure I was not showing. But I resisted. As I knew all of this was in my mind. I did cheat here and there and did a low profile check with my right arm.

On this shopping trip I did find myself extremely more aware of other people. Besides the normal ones that immediately annoyed me, but I think more of observing to see if that there were any hints that they or any were noticing me. They were not.

Not as far as knowing that I was carrying.

As most of you probably already know my shopping trip ended like everybody else there, without incident.

In closing, I didn’t realize that it was going to take some time for my mind “to get used” to this!

Each day is easier and I go through times where I completely forget that I am carrying. So I am getting used to it.

From time to time I have to remind myself that I am doing nothing wrong and that I "am" licensed to carry a handgun! :txflag:

HKsig
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Wally Walk"

Post by HKsig »

We are protected against "printing" so I wouldn't worry much about it. My conceal carry is rather big so I "print" a bit even though I wear a vest over a shirt.

When I got my CHL I did a Wally Walk too. It's a ritual. :lol:

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I still check my shirt often when wearing IWB. Not so much with a shoulder holster unless its windy and I'm holding my cover garment or jacket from blowing back. Welcome and Semper Fi to you...
III

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Welcome and Semper Fi to you...
Thanks much and Semper Fi back at ya! At present I carry OWB since it is a pocket pistol (S&W Bodyguard .380) in a Forbus Holster which is very comfortable. Once the cool weather gets here and a jacket becomes part of the day I will probably carry my 9mm. I might even progress to carrying both. This is all a work in progress for me! :patriot:

jed

Post by jed »

I did my wally walk at Best Buy then Applebee's last night. Did not see a sign (of any kind) at either place. I was kind of surprised there wasn't even a gun buster sign at Applebees.

Yes, it felt awkward and like I was doing something wrong. I guess that feeling is from years of constant gun control rhetoric.

goose

Post by goose »

rytchard wrote: I exited my car and did a quick tug or check on my polo shirt to assure me that my firearm was covered.
I have tried to form the habit of tugging my shirt on both sides. Strong side and weak side. I think it conveys simple primping that way.
<snip>
rytchard wrote:I did cheat here and there and did a low profile check with my right arm.
I do this way more often than I care to admit!! The forearm check. :-)

I am amazed at how little people notice. As you watch, you will probably be surprised as well.

Welcome to the club!
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The forearm check, tugging at both 4 and 8 o'clock, and looking at reflections - I do all that. Not too much with my EDC, though. It's a Kahr PM9 that fades so throughly into flab I am pretty confident I won't embarrass myself.

I like untucked shirts these days, like the outdoorsy kind you'd wear on a campout. Concealment is fine, access is unhindered (thankfully that's an academic consideration!), but even if I wear a sport shirt tucked in, I don't feel exposed.

It's not a big deal. It's just another foundation garment. :biggrinjester:

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

It will ease over time. Have had mine going on four years now. I was self-conscious, too. Now I don't give it a moments thought. As a side note, I make it a little game to see if I can tell who is carrying and who is not. Typical, of course, are the 5.11 style clothes or a vest. But soon you'll be able to notice the average CC fellow, too, just because of that certain "bulge" on his strong side. But that's okay. :eek6

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I never did a wally walk, but I was very self conscious walking around with a 1911 on my hip. But after buying a nice holster, I can cover it up pretty easily even in just a T-shirt. (I am 6'4" and 230 lb, so I can get away with more than some smaller guys) The worst I've ever been nervous was the first place that had a gun buster sign. I knew I was fine legally, and I knew that I wouldn't get in trouble, it's just the drama that would ensue some overly protective styrofoam padded mother that "tattled" on me for carrying.

Jpledger

Post by Jpledger »

Just got my LTC and did my first wally walk. I too was more aware of people. I am a shirt tail tugger myself. I carry a Taurus pt 111 9mm and I have a alien gear 3.0 IWB holster and you can hardly see it. I was nervous when I first got out of the jeep but it got better the longer I was in the store. One lady actually bumped into me and I thought well here we go but she kept walking. I looked around a lot but did not think anyone noticed at all. I think I will get more used to it and comfortable the more I wear it. Glad I finally do have it though.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Just wondering how the Wally Walk came to be? If there is a thread for it i missed it. :oops:

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Why wasnt it the Seaars Robuck walk or the gas station walk or something

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Carrying a G17 with a 19 round mag....... when I get out of the car, I just reach back with both hands, hitch up my belt, and walk on in. I don't really care who can see if there is a gun there under my shirt. One thing I've noticed is that people don't even notice most of the time when I've been open carrying. They sure as heck aren't going to notice a bulge under your shirt.

Strap it on, cover it up, and forget about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

I go to Walmart two or three times a week with Mr. Glock smiling at everyone. No one seems to notice, much less care. I may just look distinguished and as such not cause much alarm. I am rather handsome.

In fact, just the other day someone commented to my wife about how handsome a husband she has. I have always been rather good looking starting in my early days. I remember them well.......

When I was about 6 my grandmother would always tell me what a handsome young man I was. I think she was just partial, but, she kept repeating that so I'm pretty sure it was true. It continued that way for years and when I got to school age I always seemed to be the one with the girlfriend. LOTS of girlfriends! It was around then that I think I began to realize that it was all true....I really WAS a good looking young man.

The reality of my fineness really hit me when I began looking for a wife. OH, the girls I had to turn down. So many girls...such a short time on earth! Being handsome and good looking is a CURSE! I wouldn't wish it on anyone! But I have persevered this long and so it goes....ahem...

What was the question? :cool:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

I found your picture. www.peopleofwalmart.com
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “New to CHL?”