A Round in the Chamber Carry?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rytchard
Posts in topic: 4

A Round in the Chamber Carry?

Post by rytchard »

I just received my CHL a little over a month ago and until just recently I never carried a round in the chamber unless the safety was engaged. Now I do. I think some of my resistance comes from my military background ... safety was always required.

Regardless, I read something recently that referred to your holster as being your safety with a handgun. That made sense to me. Another thing that also made a lot of sense .... don't touch the trigger and it won't go "bang", i.e. one of the four basic safety rules.

So? How do you carry?

:tiphat:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Re: A Round in the Chamber Carry?

Post by carlson1 »

For decades and still today one in the chamber. I do not want to loose a nanosecond trying to chamber around when I finally decide there is a threat.

BulldogBorders
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BulldogBorders »

One in the chamber for me. Always want it ready to go if needed.
NRA Benefactor Life Member - Join the NRA
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp ... d=XR019416

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Always one in the chamber. It took me about a week of carrying around the house before my license arrived to come to that decision.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The unexpected always happens when you least expect it.

Be ready.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

Always one in the chamber. When the time comes to employ my pistol, I may not have the use of both hands. DA/SA semi-auto.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

tlt

Post by tlt »

Always, perfectly comfortable with a P226.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Always one in the chamber. Here is my logic. Is carrying one in the chamber more dangerous? Yes technically. But as long as your smart and have propper upkeep of your firearm and practice drawing it with the FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER you should be fine. When the crap hits the fan that time it takes you to rack the slide could cost your or somebody else their life. I don't care how much you train or how well you can do it you are never going to be as fast as a person with one in the chamber. It's physically impossible. The unexpected happens obviously when you don't expect it. Like one of the fine gentlemen said above. BE READY. Remember this is YOUR or your loved ones lives at stake. Be vigilant and ever careful. Great thread brother.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

rytchard wrote:........until just recently I never carried a round in the chamber unless the safety was engaged. Now I do. .....
Am I reading that correctly? I've carried for over six years now and I always have one in the chamber but if I'm carrying a weapon with a manual safety it's on.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

My sidearm is to be deployed and used in circumstances that may dictate immediate firing. Therefore, it is carried with a full magazine and a round in the chamber. I have seen a few folks that carry with the chamber empty but the magazine full. Due to EXTENSIVE training, these particular individuals are pretty quick from the holster to first shots on target, but even in the best case they give up a round before reloading. It requires far less training (training IS important) to be able to present from the holster and fire without having to chamber a round. Also, if one arm is compromised (or busy holding off an attacker) it is much easier to employ you sidearm if it is already charged and ready.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

casp625

Post by casp625 »

To be fair, carrying chambered in the military is rarely an event that requires it... However, with your CHL, you never know when you will need to use that weapon and every second counts!

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

Round chambered, always. I said in another thread asking the same question. If the situation leaves time for you to chamber a round, then I have that same amount of time to be shooting. If the situation doesn't allow you to chamber a round, then I am still shooting. If a situation occurs that I am unable to shoot, then neither would you be able to. So no round chambered you can shoot 1/3 of the time. With a round chambered I can shoot 2/3 of the time, or twice as often.
NRA Benefactor Member

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

I carry one in the chamber or the revolver fully loaded. I think a semiauto with one in the chamber is the same as carrying a revolver with all chambers filled(unlike the old safety of old revolvers with an empty cylinder under hammer)
Last edited by Setxjeff on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

One in the chamber.

The gun is supposed to be dangerous. you train to make it dangerous to your opponent, not to yourself. You can't eliminate every risk to yourself, but you can certainly mitigate and reduce them and shift the bulk of risk to the bad guy.
USAF 1982-2005

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

rytchard wrote:So? How do you carry?
Cocked and locked.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “New to CHL?”