A Round in the Chamber Carry?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A Round in the Chamber Carry?

Post by Oldgringo »

mojo84 wrote:To me, carrying with an empty chamber is akin to not wearing your seatbelt and planning to put it on when you are about to have a wreck. That's just me though.
No it's not. Thats me too.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Many interesting opinions here and many good reasons, for the person posting, to carry chambered or not. I can't add anything without repeating what has been said several times. Each person must make that decision for what is best for him or her self. Be consistent, with what your choose, so that you do not have to remember what condition you are carrying in at any given time. But the choice is yours and should not be made by anyone else.

Also remember the person that insults you or makes fun of your decision, whether it is chambered or not chambered, is not smart enough to listen to for any advise at all.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

twomillenium wrote:Many interesting opinions here and many good reasons, for the person posting, to carry chambered or not. I can't add anything without repeating what has been said several times. Each person must make that decision for what is best for him or her self. Be consistent, with what your choose, so that you do not have to remember what condition you are carrying in at any given time. But the choice is yours and should not be made by anyone else.

Also remember the person that insults you or makes fun of your decision, whether it is chambered or not chambered, is not smart enough to listen to for any advise at all.
:iagree:

I carry a round in the chamber because I am a bad guesser.

I feel that the decision to actually carry is the most important one on which we should agree. All other decisions concerning why, what, and how we carry quickly become so complex and personal as to make detailed discussion nearly irrelevant.

After 34 years in uniform, the VA says I'm 70% disabled. I have abilities and limitations that are not readily observable. I have neither the desire nor the requirement to defend, justify, or explain this.

I am an engineer by education, an artilleryman by training and experience. I hate guessing and have not worked to improve that dubious skill. That is the main reason I carry. I cannot guess when the violent threat will present. Nor can I guess the form that threat will take. I can't guess that I will have the use of two hands to employ my defense.

I have done my due diligence, considered my abilities and limitations, reviewed the tactical/strategic considerations. I have decided that carrying openly with a round in the chamber and the thumb safety off works best for me and mine. I will continue to carry openly where I can, conceal as the situation dictates, and disarm only if I must.

While friendly discussion can be fun, in the end we must each do our own analysis. We should not judge the choices of others as to why, what, and how. There are so many possible personal considerations as to render such judgment moot.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

I don't trust I will be able to draw, rack and pull the trigger in a decent amount of time. On the other hand I've seen people pull off the Israeli draw faster than I can pull off my normal draw. Carry how you feel most comfortable and deal with whatever consequences may arise from your preferred method.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I lost count years ago on the number of CHL students who managed to get their semi auto jammed chambering that first round under the minimal stress of the "demonstration of proficiency". Rather scary to think of that happening in a real time of need.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

In my opinion if a round is not chambered you are carrying an unloaded firearm.

Mavs00
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mavs00 »

mojo84 wrote:To me, carrying with an empty chamber is akin to not wearing your seatbelt and planning to put it on when you are about to have a wreck. That's just me though.
:iagree:

itsmekevin

Post by itsmekevin »

Always one in the chamber.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I carry a round in the chamber, COCKED AND LOCKED, can't imagine carrying any other way, for that round to fire the slide safety must be disengaged, the grip safety fully depressed and the trigger pulled fully to the rear, just can't see how that can happen without intent to do so!
Maybe some should carry a revolver instead!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Is it detrimental to either the gun or the round if left chambered for long periods of time, say up to a year?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rp_photo wrote:Is it detrimental to either the gun or the round if left chambered for long periods of time, say up to a year?
If its kept in a clean dry enviroment, maybe. I don't think its a good idea to let any gun go that long without a good cleaning, lube and inspection.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chl-dawg

Post by chl-dawg »

i am new to CHL but i am going to one in the chamber as I've been learning about the time to react and respond to any eminent danger. i am still trying to get used to it and get my mind /mentality that its dangerous. i am carrying in a good holster and i am learning to keep my fingers off the trigger until its fire time. i will def practice more and more on how to draw and reholster.

Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

Is it detrimental to either the gun or the round if left chambered for long periods of time, say up to a year?
The bullet can be pushed back into the casing a little. it's called "setback". It mostly happens when repeatedly loaded/unloaded.

It comes up occasionally around here.
http://www.texaschlforum.com/search.php ... ds=setback
No Slack-slack is just half a pair of pants
-Charlie "Rowdy" Yates

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

rp_photo wrote:Is it detrimental to either the gun or the round if left chambered for long periods of time, say up to a year?
It can be. Many gun solvents react to remove copper fouling. Which is also a component of your brass cartridge case. If you are going to do this, use nickel plated cartridges. A leather cartridge holder will also do this.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmorris »

I'm just wondering why you're going a year without exercising your firearm?
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “New to CHL?”