A Round in the Chamber Carry?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A Round in the Chamber Carry?

Post by Keith B »

A gun with an empty chamber is not much more than a brick.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

John Galt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John Galt »

Keith B wrote:A gun with an empty chamber is not much more than a brick.
I was originally hesitant, but have now come around to this way of thinking.

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Only on TV do they rack the slide :banghead:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Only on TV do they cock a glock.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I carry with a round in the chamber. However, here is an interesting article. http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/ ... r-why.html

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

WTR wrote:I carry with a round in the chamber. However, here is an interesting article. http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/ ... r-why.html
Point 1 on Speed. Author just makes up numbers and then says his made up number make less difference than numbers that he didn't even bother to make up. This is further undermined in his Point 4, where he says people are untrained. You can't be so trained that chambering a round only adds half a second, and then be untrained. I've seen a couple of videos with firearms instructors on youtube where it is closer to 0.8 to 0.9 seconds added on.

Point 2 on Safety. The only good point he makes is at the very end, where if you are having to handle your gun all the time condition 3 is the way to go. The rest of it is solved by stop playing with your gun. Compounded by the millions of people that carry every day across the US and how few problems you here about.

Point 3 on Firearms. Just laughable. Decent firearm, decent holster, and entire point disappears. Entire point centers around behavior that I never hear anyone advocate.

Point 4 on Training. So people with little to no training should depend on a method that is the most difficult to get a gun into the fight. That they will magically somehow rise to the occasion.

The author is correct in that you will spend more time everything normal than defending your life. However when you contradict yourself inside your own article, make up numbers, and then when pretty much the entire thing can be refuted with use a decent gun, a decent holster, and stop touching it. I'm not impressed.
NRA Benefactor Member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

WTR wrote:I carry with a round in the chamber. However, here is an interesting article. http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/ ... r-why.html
I carry my DA/SA auto-loader with a round chambered, hammer down, safety on. I have done my own due diligence, risk analysis, and strategy/tactics review. This works best for me and mine. YMWV

I found the article at the link above to be enlightening. Mainly because of the author's emphasis on the fact that one size does not fit all.

That we do carry is a point on which we can and should agree. What and how we carry are personal decisions based on personal choices.

As a 63 year old disabled veteran, I find carrying an auto-loader ready to fire when I disengage the safety and squeeze the trigger to be my best option.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

oljames3 wrote:
I found the article at the link above to be enlightening. Mainly because of the author's emphasis on the fact that one size does not fit all.

That we do carry is a point on which we can and should agree. What and how we carry are personal decisions based on personal choices.
:iagree: I 100% agree with your comment above. One of the reasons I recently purchase a Springfield XDs 9mm is that it comes with some built in safety features, i.e. grip safety, trigger safety, etc., that don't require my same level of attention as pulling the slide, de-selecting a manual safety, etc. It allows me to feel comfortable with one in the chamber for EDC and doesn't require me to have additional steps to use my firearm in the rare event it is ever required.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

mojo84 wrote:Only on TV do they cock a glock.
:lol: Ive seen it.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I personally asked the Assistant Chief, an LT, and an officer of my city's PD. They carry a round in the chamber. Those who carry 1911s carry them in condition one.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cmatson89

Post by cmatson89 »

I just filed for my CHL here in the state, but I plan to carry one in the chamber and safety on. I want my gun ready as soon as I decide I need it, but I have small children and I feel more comfortable with the safety on.

stingeragent
Banned

Post by stingeragent »

I'd say it's whatever works for your situation although I prefer one in the chamber. Anyone ever try and stress charge there gun. Meaning, unholster your firearm under stress and charge it quickly with no issues? If not you need to try it if you plan to carry unchambered. Although most of us will never encounter a situation that we need to use our firearms, a single issue as you attempt to charge it, could be the end. A lot of it comes down to your dedication on not only knowing your firearm in and out, but not letting the situation happen that anyone else can access it even for a moment if it is loaded. I remember reading a story on here where a guy and his friend were picking up something on craigslist or something similar. The CHL holder put his gun in the center compartment, and somehow his passenger fumbled in there for something in the compartment and pulled the trigger. You have to never allow for that situation to happen. You also have to be consciously aware to never put your finger in the trigger guard until you are ready to send a round down range. Most modern guns will not fire even when dropped. It is that trigger that gets you. Consistent practice with a 100% unloaded firearm is without a doubt necessary. Practice dry shooting drills. Practice if someone tries to take the weapon from you. Practice if the kiddos are pulling at your shirt where your gun is holstered. This is necessary.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I never once even contemplated the possibility of carrying a handgun without a round chambered. You shouldn't either.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

Javier730 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Only on TV do they cock a glock.
:lol: Ive seen it.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has noticed that!
I started carrying about two days after joining this forum.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Idratherbecamping

Post by Idratherbecamping »

1911 .380 - yes with safety on!

Glock 17 - no

Just don't have the comfort level yet!
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way!
Glock 17, because a six shooter doesn't hold enough bullets the way I shoot!
:patriot:

Return to “New to CHL?”