A Round in the Chamber Carry?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

jt88
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A Round in the Chamber Carry?

Post by jt88 »

I always carry with the chamber loaded. My Glock 19 is my main carry weapon. It has a fat trigger guard and a good trigger safety. My 92fs has a manual safety and a very heavy DA pull. I'm completely comfortable carrying either fully loaded.

You gotta do what you're comfortable with. An empty chamber is a disadvantage, but don't force yourself to do something that scares you.

JBSr

Post by JBSr »

New to forum. Howdy! CHL/LTC instructor here.

One in the chamber if proficient and trained to keep index finger free of trigger well when drawing from holster. Just a basic tenet.

If interested, YouTube the Israelis and see how remarkable they are tactically. By rule they do not carry a round in chamber.

jt88

Post by jt88 »

JBSr wrote:New to forum. Howdy! CHL/LTC instructor here.

One in the chamber if proficient and trained to keep index finger free of trigger well when drawing from holster. Just a basic tenet.

If interested, YouTube the Israelis and see how remarkable they are tactically. By rule they do not carry a round in chamber.
There's also a video out there of one of them getting stabbed to death because his chamber was empty.

Two sides to every coin.

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas_Blaze »

I've been carrying my G17 chambered for a few months. Good holster. Never fiddle with it. For the longest time I carried a ruger sr9c, chambered with manual safety on. Switched to the glock cause I shoot it so much better.

My 1911, condition 1, but I do like my holster to have a strap across the frame between the hammer with a thumb break.

Wife carries her shield chambered with manual safety on. she quickly picked up on needing to have it chambered.

To me, the deciding factor was that at least I will get one shot. If it isn't chambered, there is a risk of getting a failure to feed, which may happen due to stress.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

JBSr

Post by JBSr »

I prefer 1 in the chamber. I suggested looking at Israelis for information purposes.

I would like to check out that video since encounters are seldom single-cause and effect events, in this case not having a round chambered in carry mode.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The IDF likely tells their people to carry chamber empty for the reason that the majority are conscripts with limited training and they don't want them shooting themselves. The US Navy used to tell us to carry our .45's (that's what we had when I was in). Because the chances were more likely sailors would shoot themselves or their buddies, than anyone they intended to shoot, based on the crappy small arms training in the Navy. Somehow, I seriously doubt that the SEALS and other Navy special operators carried them that way though.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Bodeneth

Post by Bodeneth »

I carry a Springfield XD 45 Mod 2. One of the several reasons I chose this handgun is because it has several safety features built into it, without it needing a manual "safety". In the past, I've carried semi autos that were sa/da, and always carried with one in the pipe, with the safety engaged. But over the years I came to the conclusion that anything that adds a step, or time, or requires conscious thought from holster to fire, is more of a hazard to the carrier than it is to the target. In a situation where you are faced with an attacker who is threatening your life, your reaction needs to be smooth and without having to put a lot of thought into it. As mentioned already, having to jack a round into the chamber or flipping the manual safety to the "fire" position could very well use up that half second of time you require to bring the attack to a favorable conclusion. It is for these reasons that I feel that anyone who carries with an empty chamber, or with a manual safety engaged, should pretty much expect to die, or at least come out on the losing end of the situation. Its imperative to keep in mind the reason why one carries in the first place. It's to be prepared for, and able to defend against the unexpected. Anything you do to purposefully slow down your reaction, should be viewed as foolish.

I am an insurance investigator. As such I daily find myself in seedy areas of town, with equally seedy individuals milling around or wandering past me while doing my thing, or while simply sitting in my car doing paperwork or talking on the phone. To prepare for the unexpected, in my mind I continuously run thru dangerous scenarios I may encounter in my daily life. I practice at the range on a regular basis, and keep my weapon clean and in good working order. One thing I never let myself forget is that 9 times out of 10, if an attacker decides to make you a victim, he's not going to broadcast his intention ahead of time, leaving you to be surprised and at a disadvantage. While I hope that my luck (in never being robbed or otherwise attacked) never runs out, I am confident that if the situation occurs, nothing as silly as not having a round in the pipe, or having a manual safety engaged will get me killed.
My Springfield Armory XD 45 Mod 2 with a 3.3in barrel rides around in an Aliengear IWB 3.0, mounted on a Bigfoot / Aliengear gunbelt.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:The IDF likely tells their people to carry chamber empty for the reason that the majority are conscripts with limited training and they don't want them shooting themselves.
:iagree:

One shouldn't simply do what others do without examining the 'why'.
They also train a markedly different drawstroke than the "American" style. Instead of "two; draw and drop (the elbow, NOT the gun!!!!)", they lower the body and rack the slide slingshot fashion at more or less eye level. Not something that you want to attempt without lots of practice.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The4thaggie

Post by The4thaggie »

I have a mixed philosophy which some might balk at. I have a habit of practicing dry fire drills to get/maintain muscle memory of safely drawing my firearm and getting sights on target fast. I do this with my intended primary carry, so I leave it in a "warm" state (loaded mag, none in chamber) on my nightstand when not in use alongside my loaded .357mag revolver and loaded Bodyguard 380. I don't even want the chance for an AD despite consistently dropping the mag and checking the chamber everytime.

Having just completed my class yesterday, I haven't got a whole lot of experience with carrying, but I'm mulling over keeping my G17 as a primary or going for something DA/SA. I've concealed in my house to get a feel for things. I am more comfortable with having the BG380 loaded hot in my pocket because of the long and hard DAO trigger than my striker fired G17, but that might be rookie misgivings. TBH I may go Sig P226 or P229 because I shoot it better at the range, and my lukewarm feelings about cocked and locked will be subduded with a DA first pull.

It's gonna be 60+ days before I have to be too concerned about it, and the BG380 was meant to be primary in summer. At least until I get a pocket carry 9mm.

Edit: BG380 carried in a proper pocket carry holster... not just in my pocket by itself.

Mavs00

Post by Mavs00 »

While I was waiting on my license to come in, I carried in the house for comfort, etc... Never had a round chambered. Since getting my license and carrying in real world for awhile, I'd never consider not carrying hot. As you go about your daily business, run little scenarios through you brain about having to deploy and use your handgun. At the gas station, grocery store, stopping for a bite to est.... Anything really. You'll likely come to realize that in an actual self-defense scenario, you'll want something to be ready at the precise moment you are. There simply isn't enough time to monkey with the slide IMO. Don't take my word for it though, try it for yourself though. :coolgleamA:

I carry a Sig p320 (striker fire) in a kydex holster as my EDC and a Sig p238 (SAO mini-1911). Both with rounds in the pipe and 238 "cocked & locked". By now, it's second nature and very comfortable.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

The4thaggie wrote:I have a mixed philosophy which some might balk at. I have a habit of practicing dry fire drills to get/maintain muscle memory of safely drawing my firearm and getting sights on target fast. I do this with my intended primary carry, so I leave it in a "warm" state (loaded mag, none in chamber) on my nightstand when not in use alongside my loaded .357mag revolver and loaded Bodyguard 380. I don't even want the chance for an AD despite consistently dropping the mag and checking the chamber everytime.
This is where the 1911 addiction pays off. When I want to dry fire, I just grab one of my other 1911s. :mrgreen:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

george72

Post by george72 »

This video helped me decide how I wanted to carry, skip to 1:26 if you just want to see the different reaction distances/times;

:txflag:

Carolina Cajun

Post by Carolina Cajun »

george72 wrote:This video helped me decide how I wanted to carry, skip to 1:26 if you just want to see the different reaction distances/times;

:txflag:
Yea that video really puts it into perspective IMO.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

To me, carrying with an empty chamber is akin to not wearing your seatbelt and planning to put it on when you are about to have a wreck. That's just me though.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “New to CHL?”