No signs question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: No signs question

Post by thetexan »

Rmartinez37 wrote:Good afternoon everyone, I have a rather newbie question.

There are a few places I go to that have no signs pertaining to firearms, no 30.06/30.07 or the sign reading "unlicensed possesion of a firearm is punishable by....."

If there are no signs whatsoever, can I still carry here? :headscratch

Thanks in advance for the input!!! :txflag: :patriot:
There are 13 places that are listed as off limits. Memorize and learn those WELL! Everywhere else is available for carry unless notification is given under .06/.07. The red 51% sign and the blue "no unlicensed possession sign" are included in the 13.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Re: Post Offices... That is the most dangerous part of my day.
Last edited by RicoTX on Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

RicoTX wrote:Re: Post Offices... That is the most dangerous part of my day... removing my gun before I pull into the parking lot...and then rearming after. I do have a console safe and keep a spare holster in it for exactly this reason. My PO has a small printout sign with a gunbuster on the door...do they really have to have a correct sign?
FYI, you cannot carry a gun on U.S. Postal Service property. This includes the parking lot:

"10. Post Office Postal regulations prohibit the possession of firearms in their buildings and in their parking lots or any property they own.
Court Case Upholding No Carry on Post Officer Property
Appeals Ct Ruling
Uphold No Carry On Post Office Property (6/2015)"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

From the NRA-ILA:

"A federal appeals court said a U.S. Postal Service regulation banning firearms on postal property is constitutional, and reversed a lower court ruling that would have let people keep weapons inside their vehicles in post office parking lots."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015062 ... eals-court
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

The one link says the parking lot has to be posted... Which it is not. Regardless I will state here that I have no intention of violating the law, but I am curious to know if a customer has ever been prosecuted for having a gun locked in a car in the post office parking lot...I will ask the postmaster next time I'm in there... Just curious of the response...Guess I will go once a week. ..and when they complain of too much mail for my box.... I'll explain why :rules: :mrgreen: And they will say get a bigger box... I know! Maybe I will just start parking on the street... might be the best option. It's not really for parking...but it doesnt say no parking either... Benefits of living in a small town!
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rmartinez37 wrote:Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. :thumbs2:

I'm always watching out for signs, and if I see a 30.06, I'll generally take my business elsewhere, unless I have no choice. :biggrinjester:

I always wondered about places with no signage, no I know :txflag: :patriot:
Might as well dispense with this one up front......

YES.... you CAN carry in church and banks.....unless posted 30.06 and/or 30.07 or you are given effective verbal notice by someone empowered to give it.

AND.... just as a 30.07 sign alone still allows you to carry concealed, a 30.06 sign alone still allows you to open carry (although you would almost certainly receive effective verbal notice very quickly).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “New to CHL?”