New to forums. Starting my chl process this weekend

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
S509179
Posts in topic: 3

New to forums. Starting my chl process this weekend

Post by S509179 »

Just wanted to make a post real quick to say thanks for all the good info on here and its good to be a member. Been telling myself for years i need a chl and im finally gonna start the process. I will be going this weekend to take my test and hopefully will have everything mailed off by monday. After that I guess I'll be stuck in the "waiting room" with everyone else. can anyone give me an estimate to how long turnaround times are? And also can anyone share any tips to maybe help speed up the process. Thanks

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New to forums. Starting my chl process this weekend

Post by allisji »

Welcome!

Go ahead and file your application online with the DPS, and schedule your fingerprints. In Houston, the wait time for fingerprints can be two weeks or more. If, there are no fingerprint appointments available quickly, you might try calling morphotrust on the phone and scheduling.

Once all of your supporting documents have been submitted to the DPS (CHL 100, fingerprints), then you can expect to wait 4-6 weeks depending on how much there is to sift through on your background.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
S509179

Post by S509179 »

Thanks for the tip appreciate it i wasnt aware of the wait time for fingerprints.

goose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by goose »

allisji wrote:Welcome!

Go ahead and file your application online with the DPS, and schedule your fingerprints. In Houston, the wait time for fingerprints can be two weeks or more. If, there are no fingerprint appointments available quickly, you might try calling morphotrust on the phone and scheduling.

Once all of your supporting documents have been submitted to the DPS (CHL 100, fingerprints), then you can expect to wait 4-6 weeks depending on how much there is to sift through on your background.

Yes, Welcome!

To allisji's point, I had a friend that drove out of town (I think a day trip to Gonzales, which is ironic and awesome) with his wife so that they could get an appointment that same week for fingerprints. Houston providers do seem to be backlogged on getting fingerprints in short order. If you are rushed and have the mobility, look outside of the metro area a bit.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
S509179

Post by S509179 »

Thanks ill be sure to keep that in mind. Gonna go head and start the online app tonight after work.

Return to “New to CHL?”