Car not in your name

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
shenanigans
Posts in topic: 1

Car not in your name

Post by shenanigans »

Is it true that you can't carry in a car that's not in your name? I know for like company cars the company may not allow you to carry in their car or some will but what about like a family vehicle? So many grey areas in these laws you have to stay on your toes.

mojo84

Re: Car not in your name

Post by mojo84 »

Is the vehicle in your control? Do you have a LTC?

If you do not have a license, the handgun must be concealed and you must be in control of the vehicle or on your way to or from a shooting or hunting event.

If you have a license the gun must be in a belt or shoulder holster if openly carried. If it not in a belt or shoulder holster, it must be concealed. Doesn't matter who's car or who's in control of it.

This is the basic jist and there may be some nuances someone else may bring up.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

shenanigans wrote:Is it true that you can't carry in a car that's not in your name? I know for like company cars the company may not allow you to carry in their car or some will but what about like a family vehicle? So many grey areas in these laws you have to stay on your toes.
What you are describing is so far from anything that could be misconstrued as a gray area that it is not funny.

First, no car is "in your name". A vehicle may, however, be registered to you. Next, the law says you may carry in your own vehicle, or a vehicle under your control, even without a LTC. If you are driving the vehicle, and it has not been stolen, then the vehicle is assumed to be "under your control". Unless the officer has RS / PC that the vehicle is not legally under your control, then they cannot touch you on that issue.

If you have a LTC, then this whole discussion is pointless... unless the vehicle has a legal 30.06 sign posted on it.

I have been pulled over in my parent's vehicles, in friend's vehicles, and the question of who owned the vehicle did not ever come up. It also helps that I don't look like a dirt bag.

Calm down, chill out, every cop in the state is not looking for an excuse to arrest you.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Think of it this way. It is kinda like a business that has not posted any 30.06 or 30.07 signs or notified you in another acceptable manner. You may carry openly or concealed if you have a CHL or LTC.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “New to CHL?”