The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
JayStation3
Posts in topic: 7

Got my plastic today

Post by JayStation3 »

So I went to kroger.

I'm a sponge for info. I have always been into guns being from a military family. What does every one carry everyday?

Tell me what your daily load out is.

As of right now, I am carrying a M&P 9mm. I am using a brave response CC holder in the appendix position. 1 extra mag in my holster & 1 extra in my boot. I also carry a 900 lumen flashlight and a 5 inch folding Kershaw tac knife...
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

Twist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Got my plastic today

Post by Twist »

First off, congratulations! My plastic arrived on Thursday the 12th so I'm still new to this as well and lurking the forums for info.

In regards to what I've been carrying in this short amount of time, mostly my H&K USP 45c. I started out around the house with my Glock 30 because it's technically smaller (not as tall or long as the H&K) but in changing out I found that the USP 45c is actually slimmer than the standard Glock 30 ( not the S or SF models) and was more comfortable to carry.

I've carried both since receiving my LTC and I'm definitely more comfortable with the H&K over that particular model of Glock but wouldn't hesitate to carry either.

I've also carried one of my 1911's a few times and it's almost funny at how easy they are to hide. Definitely a good go to when clothing is lighter but you still have enough shirt to cover up for concealment purposes.

All in all, since I carried around the house from the day I submitted until the day I received, it took me about two days to lose my self consciousness of carrying. Honestly I've had my carry on my right hip since around 2 AM this morning and only removed it for 10 minutes earlier for a parent/teacher meeting this afternoon and I really don't even notice that it's there.

Again, congratulations and stay safe!

Topic author
JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

Twist wrote:First off, congratulations! My plastic arrived on Thursday the 12th so I'm still new to this as well and lurking the forums for info.

In regards to what I've been carrying in this short amount of time, mostly my H&K USP 45c. I started out around the house with my Glock 30 because it's technically smaller (not as tall or long as the H&K) but in changing out I found that the USP 45c is actually slimmer than the standard Glock 30 ( not the S or SF models) and was more comfortable to carry.

I've carried both since receiving my LTC and I'm definitely more comfortable with the H&K over that particular model of Glock but wouldn't hesitate to carry either.

I've also carried one of my 1911's a few times and it's almost funny at how easy they are to hide. Definitely a good go to when clothing is lighter but you still have enough shirt to cover up for concealment purposes.

All in all, since I carried around the house from the day I submitted until the day I received, it took me about two days to lose my self consciousness of carrying. Honestly I've had my carry on my right hip since around 2 AM this morning and only removed it for 10 minutes earlier for a parent/teacher meeting this afternoon and I really don't even notice that it's there.

Again, congratulations and stay safe!
I have a Taurus PT111 G2 that I will also CC just to see how it feels but that is significantly wider than my m&p so I can see where you're coming from with the size issue.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

JayStation3 wrote:So I went to kroger.

I'm a sponge for info. I have always been into guns being from a military family. What does every one carry everyday?

As of right now, I am carrying a M&P 9mm. I am using a brave response CC holder in the appendix position. 1 extra mag in my holster & 1 extra in my boot. I also carry a 900 lumen flashlight and a 5 inch folding Kershaw tac knife...

Congratulations on getting your new plastic, I carry the same as you a M&P 9 in a DeSantis Scabbard holster with thumb break, two mags in a matching DeSantis mag pouch, a Leatherman multi tool, a mag light xl 50, three pocket knives 2 case knives and a Buck vantage everyday, I have a lot more in my Get Home Bag that I keep in my truck, but I don't carry it everywhere.

Keep us updated on your carry adventures.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

Very cool, thanks for the input.

When someone asks to see your ID for beer or ciggs for example, do y'all show you LTC or DL?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

JayStation3 wrote:Very cool, thanks for the input.

When someone asks to see your ID for beer or ciggs for example, do y'all show you LTC or DL?

At 55 I'd be so tickled to be asked for my ID I'd probably show both. ( I don't buy Ciggs though) :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

Jusme wrote:

At 55 I'd be so tickled to be asked for my ID I'd probably show both. ( I don't buy Ciggs though) :biggrinjester:
I just said that to my wife about being 37...lol

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I strictly follow the law - DL for booze, LTC for cigs. :cheers2:
NRA Endowment Member

FtwBill

Post by FtwBill »

Congrats :anamatedbanana

I am carrying a Walther PPS. I was using a desantis thumb break own but it wasn't working for me. I just switch to a comp tac Mtac iwb at 4 o clock and I must say it an awesome holster, very comfy.

Topic author
JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

FtwBill wrote:Congrats :anamatedbanana

I am carrying a Walther PPS. I was using a desantis thumb break own but it wasn't working for me. I just switch to a comp tac Mtac iwb at 4 o clock and I must say it an awesome holster, very comfy.

Thank you sir. .. I'm gonna try the 4 o'clock position soon... need to get an IWB holster

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

As far as load out and guns go, I have a number, all of which I carry or have carried, some more than others. But lately, my carry has been confined to either a G17 in a Safariland Shadow II Pancake holster, or a G43 in a Mitch Rosen 5JR Belt Slide. I acquired a G19 just yesterday (to kind of fill out the middle ground between the full-sized G17 and the tiny G43), and will carry that in a Desantis Speed Scabbard. I typically carry a single backup magazine with each pistol, but sometimes I carry two......depending on where I'm headed, how long I'll be gone, and what my day looks like. I always carry a pocket knife - usually a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur, of which I have two different versions. I always carry a 900 lumen Fenix PD35 flashlight. I often have a EDC bag with me, but not always. My EDC bag typically contains bottled water, beef jerky, a multitool, a spare knife, knife sharpener, fire-starter, an Esbitt ultralight folding stove and fuel cubes, spare reading glasses, a notepad, pen, a journaling book, my iPad, a small first aid kit, spare magazines for whatever pistol I'm carrying, a charging cable for my phone and tablet, miscellaneous odds and ends.

Almost more important than your selection of firearm for carry is purchase of a good holster (whether IWB or OWB is up to you), which doesn't have to be hugely expensive, and a REAL gun belt, not just some heavy leather belt. It's not the thickness of the leather that counts, it is how it is constructed. Even a heavy leather belt will sag under the weight of your gun, where a lighter purpose-made gun belt will do fine.

One real good addition to any carry collection is an alloy/titanium/scandium j-frame S&W snubbie, or its equivalent from some other reputable manufacturer, in either .38 +P or .357 magnum. You can't beat a snubbie for being able to just drop it in your pocket for trips to the mailbox, and other situations where you don't necessarily want to "gear up" but still want a gun handy. They aren't that much fun to shoot, but they go bang every time....or at least 5 times....and they are of sufficient caliber for self-defense. A good pocket holster for said snubbie is also a good idea to keep random items and fingers out of the trigger until the gun is drawn. For those who carry a BUG (I usually do not), a snubbie is a good choice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Depends on the situation. My beard is gray, but some places still want ID, like cashing a check at the bank. If the person is pleasant and friendly, DL. If they are being ornery, LTC. That usually improves the service. :cool:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

As far as load out and guns go, I have a number, all of which I carry or have carried, some more than others. But lately, my carry has been confined to either a G17 in a Safariland Shadow II Pancake holster, or a G43 in a Mitch Rosen 5JR Belt Slide. I acquired a G19 just yesterday (to kind of fill out the middle ground between the full-sized G17 and the tiny G43), and will carry that in a Desantis Speed Scabbard. I typically carry a single backup magazine with each pistol, but sometimes I carry two......depending on where I'm headed, how long I'll be gone, and what my day looks like. I always carry a pocket knife - usually a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur, of which I have two different versions. I always carry a 900 lumen Fenix PD35 flashlight. I often have a EDC bag with me, but not always. My EDC bag typically contains bottled water, beef jerky, a multitool, a spare knife, knife sharpener, fire-starter, an Esbitt ultralight folding stove and fuel cubes, spare reading glasses, a notepad, pen, a journaling book, my iPad, a small first aid kit, spare magazines for whatever pistol I'm carrying, a charging cable for my phone and tablet, miscellaneous odds and ends.

Almost more important than your selection of firearm for carry is purchase of a good holster (whether IWB or OWB is up to you), which doesn't have to be hugely expensive, and a REAL gun belt, not just some heavy leather belt. It's not the thickness of the leather that counts, it is how it is constructed. Even a heavy leather belt will sag under the weight of your gun, where a lighter purpose-made gun belt will do fine.

One real good addition to any carry collection is an alloy/titanium/scandium j-frame S&W snubbie, or its equivalent from some other reputable manufacturer, in either .38 +P or .357 magnum. You can't beat a snubbie for being able to just drop it in your pocket for trips to the mailbox, and other situations where you don't necessarily want to "gear up" but still want a gun handy. They aren't that much fun to shoot, but they go bang every time....or at least 5 times....and they are of sufficient caliber for self-defense. A good pocket holster for said snubbie is also a good idea to keep random items and fingers out of the trigger until the gun is drawn. For those who carry a BUG (I usually do not), a snubbie is a good choice.

Great info, thanks for sharing

Topic author
JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

Lynyrd wrote:

Depends on the situation. My beard is gray, but some places still want ID, like cashing a check at the bank. If the person is pleasant and friendly, DL. If they are being ornery, LTC. That usually improves the service. :cool:
I,sir, like the way you think.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Lynyrd wrote:

Actually, they don't stop asking until your beard is white, like mine. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “New to CHL?”