CHL/LTC - Sharing Qualification Test

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mjmccluskey
Posts in topic: 1

CHL/LTC - Sharing Qualification Test

Post by mjmccluskey »

Hey y'all!! New here, but have been lurking for a while.

So I see a lot of folks posting pics of their Qualification Test targets. I wonder how wise this is? My course instructor made a good point (I think) after we finished and were admiring our targets...

He suggested we throw them out right then and there. No pics. All you need to know is that you passed. His explanation is that, should you end up in court (criminal and/or civil) the opposing counsel will paint you as an assassin if you did well and incompetent if you shot the minimum. All anyone needs to know is that you passed. He suggested that ditching your target and moving on would likely erase you score from your memory so you will be truthful if they ask details...you simply say that you passed and don't remember your score...it is not recorded...only that you passed. I can honestly say I don't remember my score after two short months...

Curious about everyones thoughts.

JP171
Banned

Re: CHL/LTC - Sharing Qualification Test

Post by JP171 »

this has been discussed on other threads here, the target means nothing, cannot help nor hinder the prosecution or defense. The same as military qualification records and awards can't be used as "prima facie" evidence as to the fact that your a contract assassin for the US gubbermint. your instructor is making a case based on nothing. don't worry about it

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

You will find "Chicken Little" types in all walks of life.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WildBill
Posts in topic: 12

Post by WildBill »

It's hard to believe that rumor is still alive and well.
NRA Endowment Member

loktite

Post by loktite »

Just paint it fuschia!
NRA Endowment Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Do you practice regularly? Yes? Then you're a killer... Clearly. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RoyGBiv wrote:Do you practice regularly? Yes? Then you're a killer... Clearly. :mrgreen:
And if you don't you're a menace. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

JP171 wrote:this has been discussed on other threads here, the target means nothing, :hurry: cannot help nor hinder the prosecution or defense. The same as military qualification records and awards can't be used as "prima facie" evidence as to the fact that your a contract assassin for the US gubbermint. your instructor is making a case based on nothing. don't worry about it
That can not be said emphatically. ANYTHING can be used in furtherance of the prosecution's or defense's
case.

But I agree that the connection between your qual target score and a future situation is a stretch.

Rex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The post reminds me of a very old rumor about professional boxers and martial artist black belts having to register their hands as deadly weapons.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

thetexan wrote:
JP171 wrote:this has been discussed on other threads here, the target means nothing, :hurry: cannot help nor hinder the prosecution or defense. The same as military qualification records and awards can't be used as "prima facie" evidence as to the fact that your a contract assassin for the US gubbermint. your instructor is making a case based on nothing. don't worry about it
That can not be said emphatically. ANYTHING can be used in furtherance of the prosecution's or defense's
case.

But I agree that the connection between your qual target score and a future situation is a stretch.

Rex
I understand your point. Most trial lawyers will use any legal means of prevailing in a lawsuit. However there are rules of evidence that must be followed during a trial.
IMO trying to introduce a CHL qualification target as evidence would be stretching the argument so far that it would break. :lol:
For the record, I can not remember my CHL qualification scores, my scores on the CHL written test, my SAT scores, my college GPA or the score on my DL test. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

WildBill wrote:
thetexan wrote:
case.

Rex
I understand your point. Most trial lawyers will use any legal means of prevailing in a lawsuit. However there are rules of evidence that must be followed during a trial.
IMO trying to introduce a CHL qualification target as evidence would be stretching the argument so far that it would break. :lol:
For the record, I can not remember my CHL qualification scores, my scores on the CHL written test, my SAT scores, my college GPA or the score on my DL test. :tiphat:

What color flag must you hang from a non-rigid tow line < 50ft? TXDL class C test c.1990.... "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SIRIT

Post by SIRIT »

Reminds me of a guy that I was talking to one day that said competition shooting will get you killed in a street fight. I actually pondered it for a bit until coming to the realization the guy had no idea what he was talking about.

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

mjmccluskey wrote:Hey y'all!! New here, but have been lurking for a while.

So I see a lot of folks posting pics of their Qualification Test targets. I wonder how wise this is? My course instructor made a good point (I think) after we finished and were admiring our targets...

He suggested we throw them out right then and there. No pics. All you need to know is that you passed. His explanation is that, should you end up in court (criminal and/or civil) the opposing counsel will paint you as an assassin if you did well and incompetent if you shot the minimum. All anyone needs to know is that you passed. He suggested that ditching your target and moving on would likely erase you score from your memory so you will be truthful if they ask details...you simply say that you passed and don't remember your score...it is not recorded...only that you passed. I can honestly say I don't remember my score after two short months...

Curious about everyones thoughts.

Best to erase this post then. :biggrinjester:
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

My instructor for my CHL class had the same philosophy for the same reasons as stated by the OP, but my instructor went even further. He did not allow us to take photos of our targets, did not allow us to hold our targets long enough for us to count our own score (just take them down and hand them to him), and would not tell us our score after he checked our targets. All I knew at the end was that I passed. Seemed slightly overcautious to me, but I was ok with it all in all.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

thatguyoverthere wrote:My instructor for my CHL class had the same philosophy for the same reasons as stated by the OP, but my instructor went even further. He did not allow us to take photos of our targets, did not allow us to hold our targets long enough for us to count our own score (just take them down and hand them to him), and would not tell us our score after he checked our targets. All I knew at the end was that I passed. Seemed slightly overcautious to me, but I was ok with it all in all.
Seems to be a bit over the top... unless he was trying to teach a lesson. Like, be careful of the things you do, say, post, bumper stickers on your car, etc, etc, because these things could be used against you in a prosecution.

Return to “New to CHL?”