NO CHL, NO Car, How Do I Get to the Range legally?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NO CHL, NO Car, How Do I Get to the Range legally?

Post by TxRVer »

Have you checked the gun policy of Houston Metro? They allow licensed carry, but may not allow unlicensed carry.
Charlie

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Have you considered taking a taxi? Probably would cost more (considering return trip as well), but would be a more direct route.

First thought would be to invite a friend along, though. He/she drives, & you pick up the range fees.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Mike S wrote:Have you considered taking a taxi? Probably would cost more (considering return trip as well), but would be a more direct route.

First thought would be to invite a friend along, though. He/she drives, & you pick up the range fees.
:iagree: You may also gain some good knowledge by finding a friend who has experience shooting handguns.

There are many experienced shooters out there who are happy to help people who are new to shooting.
NRA Endowment Member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mike S wrote:First thought would be to invite a friend along, though. He/she drives, & you pick up the range fees.
Yep. There may be other legal ways to do it, but if caught, I bet all of them involve you sitting in jail while the cops wait for the DA to get back to them.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thetexan »

46.15b3 seems to answer the question. Going between one's residence and the premises where the sporting event takes place is not covered by 46.02 since 46.02 is specifically excluded by 46.15b3. Since 46.02 provides prohibitions and 46.15b3 makes it inapplicable there remains no further statute that can be violated by carrying your handgun directly enroute between your residence and the premises at which the sporting activity takes place.

And the mode of transportation seems irrelevant nothwithstanding any other prohibiting statute such as school transportation.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Why take a chance rent a gun at the range to take your test ,get your license, don't take a chance, not worth it :rules:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thetexan »

Three days before you intend to shoot at the range disassemble your gun and ship it and your ammunition separately to the range office. After you are through shooting repack the disassembled gun and separately packed unused ammo and ship it back to yourself.

Oh wait.....

You have to go through an FFL. Ok, then ship it to the FFL and pay him to deliver it to you at the range. Then just reverse the process.

It's quite simple actually.

:thumbs2: :fire :txflag:

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

thetexan wrote:Three days before you intend to shoot at the range disassemble your gun and ship it and your ammunition separately to the range office. After you are through shooting repack the disassembled gun and separately packed unused ammo and ship it back to yourself.

Oh wait.....

You have to go through an FFL. Ok, then ship it to the FFL and pay him to deliver it to you at the range. Then just reverse the process.

It's quite simple actually.

:thumbs2: :fire :txflag:

tex
And it only took you a year to come up with that idea! :biggrinjester:

Alf

Post by Alf »

Did he at least bring his rifle?

Return to “New to CHL?”