NO CHL, NO Car, How Do I Get to the Range legally?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
CB1986
Posts in topic: 3

NO CHL, NO Car, How Do I Get to the Range legally?

Post by CB1986 »

Hi all, not sure this is the spot to ask this question because I am new to this forum, I have a new pistol that I am wanting to take to the range to get some practice in with it :fire . I currently DO NOT have my CHL. My question is, If I do not own a car or have access to one, is it legal for me to take public transportation (Houston Metro Bus) to the range and carry my gun in a range bag unloaded with the slide lock on. it is 1 bus and it goes straight there (no transfer stations or going out of the way, it is a straight line down 1 road if it matters.) Or is there another way for me to get there like riding my bike, or taking a taxi. It is really too far for me to walk to so it would have to at least be a bike ride but rather take the bus. I know the law says that its fine for me to take it in my own car or a car that i have control/possession of, But i was confused because if i were to go to the range with a friend in his car i would be able to bring my firearm and in that case it would not be me driving or my car or in my control. In closing if anyone has a good idea of how i can get there legally i would really appreciate it.
-Thanks!

JALLEN

Re: NO CHL, NO Car, How Do I Get to the Range legally?

Post by JALLEN »

Unloaded, in a case.... What's the problem, assuming you are reasonably secure from officious intermeddlers hoping to get lucky along the way?

I think I would use a "range bag" that had nothing suggesting firearms about it, and lock it discretely.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
CB1986

Post by CB1986 »

OK that makes sense, My Range Bag is just a big laptop bag anyhow lol. I asked a friend who is somewhat versed in the laws and his worry for me taking the bus was that it may be seen as an indirect route and for me to go to the range without a LTC it would have to be a direct route to and from. I am pretty positive i could get away with doing so and not be noticed.. but on the off chance something happens and either my bag gets stolen..or police are doing random bus stopadges with laptop bag searches (not likely lol) I wanted to do it all legally. I just didn;t know what that would be considered.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Teamless »

JALLEN wrote:Unloaded, in a case.... What's the problem, assuming you are reasonably secure from officious intermeddlers hoping to get lucky along the way?
in an ideal world, I agree with you JALLEN, however, we don't live in an ideal world.
Unloaded or loaded, I also do not think makes a difference, as I don't think the penal code cares if it is loaded or not.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

It is legal to carry your pistol from home to your range and back home. My understanding of the Texas law transported, concealed carried or even open carry, carry form does not matter as long as you can "prove" that you going from home to the range. For instance, you are member at the range, you have pre-registered for a match there. Or, you called in and reserved a lane for shooting. Something that a witness can testify at your behest.

To be on the safe side, put it a case/bag/range bag/shopping bag and you are Okay.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Teamless wrote:
JALLEN wrote:Unloaded, in a case.... What's the problem, assuming you are reasonably secure from officious intermeddlers hoping to get lucky along the way?
in an ideal world, I agree with you JALLEN, however, we don't live in an ideal world.
Unloaded or loaded, I also do not think makes a difference, as I don't think the penal code cares if it is loaded or not.
If it makes no difference, why do you need a permit to carry a concealed pistol?

Do you need a LTC to carry an unloaded pistol concealed? It's concealed in a range bag, or perhaps in those Wilderness Safepackers or a purse, etc.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
CB1986

Post by CB1986 »

OK, so long as i am going to the range (And in best circumstances can prove it) its ok for me to take the bus there? and it is not seen as an indirect route there? I never seen anything describing the law of travel to a range without it being your car you are in control of. I know a lot of people go with friends hunting or to a range and travel in the friends car while both have brought a gun not just the driver. I think they need to make it more clear so my potential freedom is not taken away because the law isnt clear about in another persons car or on a public bus.. or riding my own bike or even walking for that matter.. its all fine with a LTC but the only wording of law i can find for travel to a range without an LTC also involves the wording that it is to be your car or one you are in control of and does not say anything about being a passenger or outside of a car all together. I guess to be safe i will call ahead to the range and see if they take appointments or something and get the name of who i spoke to.. or maybe just state my name and say hi ill see you guys soon :woohoo

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JALLEN wrote:
Teamless wrote:
If it makes no difference, why do you need a permit to carry a concealed pistol?

Do you need a LTC to carry an unloaded pistol concealed? It's concealed in a range bag, or perhaps in those Wilderness Safepackers or a purse, etc.
The only legal way to carry an unloaded or loaded pistol without a LTC is if you are in your home, on property or in a vehicle you own or control, OR are engaged in a sporting activity like target shooting. That means you can carry it to the range, and back, but can't detour in the process.
Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

comp73

Post by comp73 »

If i was taking the bus, I'd want something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-602556-P-Ha ... 8BFA7D6R64

I would not feel comfortable sitting on a bus with a normal range bag or a big shopping bag.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Keith B wrote:
The only legal way to carry an unloaded or loaded pistol without a LTC is if you are in your home, on property or in a vehicle you own or control, OR are engaged in a sporting activity like target shooting. That means you can carry it to the range, and back, but can't detour in the process.
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
So, having a loaded pistol en route to the range and back is alright as long as it isn't visible, except of course for the GFSZ 1,000'. Is that right?

Of course, most every range I've been to forbids loaded firearms except on the firing line and subject to thir range rules.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JALLEN wrote:
Keith B wrote:
So, having a loaded pistol en route to the range and back is alright as long as it isn't visible, except of course for the GFSZ 1,000'. Is that right?

Of course, most every range I've been to forbids loaded firearms except on the firing line and subject to thir range rules.
We were talking legal, not what the range requires. GFSZ is usually only a tack-on offense, so as long as passing through is a very low chance of being charged even if stopped. So, yes, loaded in a case or unloaded, doesn't matter in Texas.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I would say that the best option is if you have a friend that could drive you then you do it that way. No public transportation. As long as your friend knows their are guns in the car and you have them concealed in a case then there is not going to be an issue.

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

What part of houston are you in? Maybe someone here would like to take you?

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

So I know I've read in the penal code(don't remember exactly where I read it) you can carry your weapon concealed or OC legally without an LTC if you go from one location to another and are allowed to have your weapon at both locations. So you can carry your firearm at your house, you can carry at the range, travelling directly from one location to another is covered.

Now Public transportation may be a whole other ballgame/issue - not sure what Metro's policies on unlicenced carry are, but as long as you don't detour from home, to bus, to range - then I believe it would be perfectly legal. Maybe consider using something like Uber instead ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The plan of the trip could be very clear from where to where you are going, regardless if the mode of transportation, walking, riding a bike, or using a public transportation.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “New to CHL?”