LTC Experience: Day 1

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
GibsonLesPaul
Posts in topic: 2

LTC Experience: Day 1

Post by GibsonLesPaul »

Mods: My apologies if this is in the wrong place. Please move if necessary.

After a long and arduous wait, I finally received my LTC, yesterday. Today, I decided to carry (IWB) my tiny Ruger 380 to break myself in to carrying daily. I'd love to carry my Beretta, but I don't have an appropriate holster, and work wouldn't really agree with me open carrying. I also feel the full size 92FS might be a bit large for concealed carry.

My work attire requires a tucked in shirt, and I wear relatively not-so-loose clothing. After the initial nervousness, there were only a few times of me worrying about printing.

I do have an issue of not being able to fully tuck in my shirt where the pistol sits, but all in all, no one noticed, and it felt very natural keeping a sidearm on me.

I didn't see a place to post about newcomers carrying, but I'd love to hear other's experiences, and welcome any advice on products to consider. Eventually, I'd like to move to a smaller (than the 92FS), larger caliber. I've been eyeing some sweet, albeit expensive, Kimber models.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC Experience: Day 1

Post by Excaliber »

GibsonLesPaul wrote:Mods: My apologies if this is in the wrong place. Please move if necessary.

After a long and arduous wait, I finally received my LTC, yesterday. Today, I decided to carry (IWB) my tiny Ruger 380 to break myself in to carrying daily. I'd love to carry my Beretta, but I don't have an appropriate holster, and work wouldn't really agree with me open carrying. I also feel the full size 92FS might be a bit large for concealed carry.

My work attire requires a tucked in shirt, and I wear relatively not-so-loose clothing. After the initial nervousness, there were only a few times of me worrying about printing.

I do have an issue of not being able to fully tuck in my shirt where the pistol sits, but all in all, no one noticed, and it felt very natural keeping a sidearm on me.

I didn't see a place to post about newcomers carrying, but I'd love to hear other's experiences, and welcome any advice on products to consider. Eventually, I'd like to move to a smaller (than the 92FS), larger caliber. I've been eyeing some sweet, albeit expensive, Kimber models.
Check out the Springfield XDS in 9mm or .45. It just disappears under clothing, but gives you something substantial to work with if you need it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I feel your pain. Although printing isn't a legal issue anymore, employer policies sometimes are more restrictive than legal issues. I also work at a place where we have to deep conceal. With a good tuckable IWB holster, I have been able to carry larger than 380's with no one ever being the wiser. Wear a looser fitting shirt and don't tuck it in tight. I leave a couple of inches of shirt hanging down around my belt. With a larger shirt, if you pull the shirt tail out of your belt a bit all the way around, not just where your holster is, it looks perfectly natural and even a larger gun is completely concealed.

I wear a Crossbreed, but that's just my preference.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Excaliber wrote:Check out the Springfield XDS in 9mm or .45. It just disappears under clothing, but gives you something substantial to work with if you need it.
:iagree:
XDS in .45 is my (usually) EDC, using a Crossbreed IWB. I've carried in a lot of business dress occssions, and it's easy to conceal, both with shirt tucked or untucked, with or without a jacket.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Excaliber wrote:Check out the Springfield XDS in 9mm or .45. It just disappears under clothing, but gives you something substantial to work with if you need it.
+ 1 for the XDS....at least in .45. I also own a Glock 43, which is a tiny 9mm. Kahr Arms also makes a pocketable 9mm - either the PM9 or the CM9. S&W has the M&P Shield in 9mm. There's the Beretta Nano. Sig makes the P938. Kimber makes the Solo and the Micro 9.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I carry a Kahr CW9. Not pocketable but conceals easy

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I carry a springfield xds 9mm....and often forget it is even there. I use a DeSantis Inside Heat holster and is very comfortable.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Ruger SR1911 CMD :coolgleamA: I'm a big guy so I don't have an issue hiding it. As for the nervousness, it goes away quickly. The general public is more naive than you would ever believe. One of the first days I carried after receiving my plastic, I went bowling with some friends. The shirt I had chosen to wear was probably a smidge too short for cc, so I thought I could just leave my sweatshirt on. Well after my first bowl my jacket and shirt wound up behind my gun. I immediately had a light panic attack and took the gun to the car (I know go ahead, it was dumb). I fully expected the swat team to come busting down the door, but nope! I went back in and never even got a second look from anyone! My 1911 was wide open in plain sight (before open carry) and not a single person noticed to my knowledge.

Topic author
GibsonLesPaul

Post by GibsonLesPaul »

Thanks for all the feedback!

I definitely have to try out some of those holsters. Am I correct in assuming it's best to unload before entering a store if I want to test out some holsters?

As for the pistol recommendations, there were a lot of fine suggestions. I've always wondered if price difference was based on quality or name brand. For example, several of you like the Springfields. Looking online, you can get a similar size and caliber of a different brand, but the price difference can be $100-200. I know it could be materials (metal vs polymer), but what else would be a key factor for such a large price difference? I've always heard the arguments of this brand vs another, or this brand has a certain history or legacy, but I've wondered how well that holds up on the range. I've always been limited to what others or myself had.

Also, as far a purchasing, do you all but online or in store?

I'm in the midst of day 2, and casual Friday makes concealment much easier. I'm definitely much more observant of signs and my surroundings. Still a bit nervous, but I feel the nerves subsiding more.

Thanks again for the input, and I look forward to hearing more stories of your experiences.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

GibsonLesPaul wrote:Thanks for all the feedback!

I definitely have to try out some of those holsters. Am I correct in assuming it's best to unload before entering a store if I want to test out some holsters?

As for the pistol recommendations, there were a lot of fine suggestions. I've always wondered if price difference was based on quality or name brand. For example, several of you like the Springfields. Looking online, you can get a similar size and caliber of a different brand, but the price difference can be $100-200. I know it could be materials (metal vs polymer), but what else would be a key factor for such a large price difference? I've always heard the arguments of this brand vs another, or this brand has a certain history or legacy, but I've wondered how well that holds up on the range. I've always been limited to what others or myself had.

Also, as far a purchasing, do you all but online or in store?

I'm in the midst of day 2, and casual Friday makes concealment much easier. I'm definitely much more observant of signs and my surroundings. Still a bit nervous, but I feel the nerves subsiding more.

Thanks again for the input, and I look forward to hearing more stories of your experiences.
Yes you definitely want to use an unloaded gun to test holsters. As far as brand/price/materials etc.. Everyone will have their own preferences as to what they carry, some of it is price, for others it is familiarity with a particular brand, or action. Base your decision on education, try as many as you can, see how each feels in your hand, felt recoil, ease of manipulation, extended carry, so on and so on, what you decide to carry should be for your reasons only, what I carry may not work for you and vice versa. Check reviews on line for the options you have picked out, talk to people who own that gun. Don't let anyone sway you away from something based on their particular biases. You will be the one who's life will depend on the gun you choose, so be your own judge of what you think works for you. There are several ranges that allow you to rent guns to test, Once you have selected your gun, practice,practice,practice. Practice drawing it (unloaded of course) from CC and OC. Use it to clear your home at night in the dark, to be sure you can manipulate everything without being able to see clearly, your gun should be something you can use effectively without having to think about it. As far as brands, I would recommend those that have a proven reputation for reliability, availability of replacement parts, manufacturer's warranties, customer service etc. All of those things may cost more up front, but may save you more in the long run.

Good luck and keep us updated, :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

loktite

Post by loktite »

To add to what Jusme said, I would also check with the store BEFORE entering to see how they want to handle (may not allow it) you bringing a your own firearm in. If it's a gunshop / range, should be no issue. But a retail store? Check with them first before bringing a handgun in that will be out of a holster (and definitely unloaded) . If they carry the same model, they might let you use one of theirs to test holsters.
NRA Endowment Member

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Try open carrying (probably not at work) a few times, you won't worry about printing anymore. Haha.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jb2012 wrote:Ruger SR1911 CMD :coolgleamA: As for the nervousness, it goes away quickly. The general public is more naive than you would ever believe.
Exactly this :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I was talking to a close friend who didn't even notice that I was "open carrying" a 1911 until 20 minutes into the conversation. And this was a friend who knows I have a LTC and knows my love of all things that go "pew pew"

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

I just received my plastic Monday. My carry gun is a S&W Shield in the 9mm. I have the Alien Gear Cloak 3. Monday night my wife and I went to movie and dinner at the Alamo Drafthouse and I just wore my shirt untucked all the way so concealing was not a problem. Yesterday and today I went with a polo type short sleeve and tucked, pulling the shirt out all around so that it looked more natural. It has already starting to feel natural carrying, but I have been very mindful of signs. One issue I have is that I work with medical devices and as such I visit clients homes, hospitals and schools at times. Because of the type of holster I use, I have been just disarming and putting my weapon in my console vault if I am at a posted place and tuck back in covering the empty holster. Any feedback as to the wisdom of this?

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I actually bought another holster for my gun that I use when I put it in my console vault. I carry iwb so another holster allows me to protect and secure the gun while it is in the console. I actually keep an old hipoint 9mm in my console as well...but I don't worry about scratches on it :mrgreen: I used it for a truck gun before I bought a console vault and had my LTC...so I just leave in it there as a backup. I always figure if someone manages to steal it... I'm not out much.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “New to CHL?”